Nifty Futures - Calendar Spreads

whisky

Itna sanata kyo hai bhai, continue the thread bro.

whisky

Calendar spreak ka kya hua Bhai.

jagankris

Within calendar spread, there are two types of positions you can take: Bull or bear

Lets get started with Bull Spreads.

Bull Spread:

Bull Spreads are futures positions consisting of being long a near term contract and then short a further term contract, profiting when the price of the underlying asset goes up.

So for bull spread, you will buy Oct Series and Sell Nov Series Nifty Futures

When to take Bull Spread and how do you benefit from same:

When you are bullish on an asset, you would typically go long on its futures contracts in order to reap a leveraged profit when the price of the underlying asset rises. This is known as an "Outright Position". A Bull Spread is formed when you go short on longer term futures contracts on the same underlying asset on top of the nearer term long futures position that you are already holding.

Actually, when you place a futures spread, you are taking on the risk in the pricing difference between the long and short futures contracts rather than a simple directional risk in one futures contract. This puts you in the place of both a speculator as well as a hedger, speculating on the price difference and hedging against risk at the same time, which is now known as taking the position of a "Spreader"

How do bull spread make money:

Unlike outright futures trading positions which make a profit only when the futures contracts that you own appreciates in value, futures bull spreads profit when:

1. When the long leg rises and short leg falls.

2. When the long leg rises and the short leg remained unchanged.

3. When the long leg rises and short leg rises at a lower rate.

4. When the short leg falls faster than the long leg.

5. When the long leg remains unchanged and short leg falls.

When To Use Futures Bull Spreads

1. When the price spread between near term futures contracts and further term futures contracts are expected to narrow down in a normal market.

2. When the price spread between near term futures contracts and further term futures contracts are expected to widen in an inverted market.

3. Any market condition which leads to near term futures contracts rallying against further term futures contracts. An example of such a situation includes a short term lack of supply which pushes up short term demand per unit and price.
Courtesy - Investopedia

Contango is when the futures price is above the expected future spot price. Because the futures price must converge on the expected future spot price, contango implies that futures prices are falling over time as new information brings them into line with the expected future spot price.

Normal backwardation is when the futures price is below the expected future spot price. This is desirable for speculators who are "net long" in their positions: they want the futures price to increase. So, normal backwardation is when the futures prices are increasing.

This thread will discuss possible strategies to do calendar spread in nifty futures.

NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT OPTIONS SPREADS OF ANY KIND : CALENDAR OR ANY. PURELY FUTURES CALENDAR SPREAD THREAD.

I was exploring various option spreads strategies and was checking the margin requirements for spreads on zerodha site, when i came across the nifty futures calendar spread.

What enticed me towards this was :

a) Low margin requirement : 6K-7K
b) Aligned towards positional strategy
c) Lack of any information available on this topic
d) Relatively little risk while trading : As you know the risk you are entering into : i.e. the spread

Have started off by taking the data for last 2 weeks for Oct and Nov futures. As first analysis steps, I'm going to analyze:

a) Coorelation of difference between Oct and Nov Futures with spot
b) Spikes which lead to break of corelation : i.e. the trade opportunities
Hi Trader15
Please provide your contact no. need to discuss about the Nifty futures Calendar Spread, even i trading on this.

Thanks
santosh