Nifty Future Day Trading System with 100% return on 30/40 trades a year.

About one and a half year ago, I opened a thread on a simple day trading strategy. Later I coded a trading system with adapted idea from that setup and this system trades Nifty and Bank Nifty futures only. what is interesting is this automated system makes 100% + on a trading account of 30000 with single lot trades on Nifty futures. The only issue is it make on average 3 trade a month.

The backrest report from 2012 Jan to 2013 Sep 19 shows the system exposure is less than 10% percent of the total time period, only 74 trades. In 2012 it made 142% percent on an account size of 30000 after deducting 3 points towards cost and slippage. In 2013 up to September 19, it made 99%. It makes similar profits on bank nifty also.

I am planning to auto trade it, but the problem is the account will be idle for most of the time, as it make 3 trades on average a month.

Now I am seeking your views on such a system. 100%+ annual return is good, but the trading account is idle for most of the time as it make around 35-40 trades a year and all trades are day trades.

anup

Why are you worried about idle time?.. If you are getting consistent returns, dont bother much about idle time !!

About one and a half year ago, I opened a thread on a simple day trading strategy. Later I coded a trading system with adapted idea from that setup and this system trades Nifty and Bank Nifty futures only. what is interesting is this automated system makes 100% + on a trading account of 30000 with single lot trades on Nifty futures. The only issue is it make on average 3 trade a month.

The backrest report from 2012 Jan to 2013 Sep 19 shows the system exposure is less than 10% percent of the total time period, only 74 trades. In 2012 it made 142% percent on an account size of 30000 after deducting 3 points towards cost and slippage. In 2013 up to September 19, it made 99%. It makes similar profits on bank nifty also.

I am planning to auto trade it, but the problem is the account will be idle for most of the time, as it make 3 trades on average a month.

Now I am seeking your views on such a system. 100%+ annual return is good, but the trading account is idle for most of the time as it make around 35-40 trades a year and all trades are day trades.

i couldn't make out much from the simple strategy thread... even indiastockspotter.com links are not working...

as far as i understood you are buying a new high scenario in a lower time timeframe... playing for continuation of trend.. for a move of 40 points in nifty...

can you please do a detailed writeup of ur modified system...

umeshmandal

If we break it up :

To earn 100% on 30000 in 40 trades, each trade avg gain should be : 750 net
Add 3 points for cost and slippage : 50*3 = 150
i.e. on an average per lot if we can gain 750+150=900, then this can be achieved ! This amounts to 18 points per Nifty lot per trade !
Trust it is achievable if any good system is traded "with discipline" !

Your seeking view because the system is idle most of the time seems such a "silly thing" (excuse me) but it indeed is and seems more so because it comes from a person who has coded a strategy for auto trading ! :eek:

If we break it up :

i.e. on an average per lot if we can gain 750+150=900, then this can be achieved ! This amounts to 18 points per Nifty lot per trade !

Your seeking view because the system is idle most of the time seems such a "silly thing" (excuse me) but it indeed is and seems more so because it comes from a person who has coded a strategy for auto trading ! :eek:
Here you are basing your calculations on assumption that all 100 % trades will be successful, but in practice it will never be the case. Assuming 50 % success rate and a RR ratio of 1.5 :1 and 3 points for expences we need about 27-30 points in every winning trade provided our loosing trade is not more than 10-12 points.

Smart_trade

umeshmandal

Here you are basing your calculations on assumption that all 100 % trades will be successful, but in practice it will never be the case. Assuming 50 % success rate and a RR ratio of 1.5 :1 and 3 points for expences we need about 27-30 points in every winning trade provided our loosing trade is not more than 10-12 points.

Smart_trade
Yes, it was a bad ommission ! :p I had this in mind when I started writing the post and somewhere got distracted and posted without considering the 'failures' ! Thanks for pointing it out and correcting it.

If we break it up :

RKK has described the situation exactly.

The problem here, very frankly would not be the "system" sitting idle, but much bigger problem would be the "trader" sitting idle !

Remember the old saying : An empty mind is a devil's workshop ! :p
The problem is when we sit idle for a system with 15 trading sessions, then chances are that we will do some weird trades. If there is sort of virtual hosting of strategy on servers and I go out for the entire year on a holiday, then its ok, but that type of auto trading is beyond my capabilities now.

Smart_trade
Avg winning trade is 2715 and avg. losing trade is 883. The win rate is only 53%. This system is picking up trending days with SL of 20 points.