need for psychology books

oilman5

TRADE PSYCHOLOGY
For trading - market, price reading & YOU –this 3 factor u have to learn & master . The 3rd is most important. YOU factor comes from trade psychology . Actual long haul a trader wants to trade , he has to give atleast 50% weightage to psychology.Better u r a trader, more systematic-disciplined u r, less weightage should be given.
There is major flaw for trade learner, they don’t give proper time & effort to master it.Financial novices fail in market because of simply this reason. So many a failed trader with psychology/clinical psychology background made a through study of av trade-learner ( mostly miserably failed trader) – and become successful as trade coach. Yes read them , its partially helpful. To name a few.
1] MARK DOGLOUS- TRADING IN THE ZONE,DISCIPLINED TRADER
2] VAN THARP- WAY TO FINANCIAL FREEDOM ,PEAK PERFORMANCE COURSE,SUPER TRADER
3] ARI KIEV-PSYCHOLOGY OF RISK,MASTERING TRADING STRESS,WAY TO WIN
4] Dr elder- COME TO MY TRADING ROOM,TRADING FOR A LIVING,ENTRY & EXIT
5] Dr Johnson-FROM PAIN TO PROFIT
6] Dr STEENBARGER-ENHANCING TRADER PERFORMANCE,DAILY TRADING COACH
Two lady trainer/psychologist
7] Adrianne Togharie- DISCIPLINE-DISCIPLINE
8] RUTH BARRON ROOSEVELT
Comments : Start pt is one , higher u move in number, better is the quality/maturity of trainer.The last 2 lady help basically stick to business ,throwing unnecessary psychological burden.Best trader whom I have met, suggest DON’T GIVE THAT MUCH WEIGHTAGE TO PSYCHOLGY .IT COMES AUTOMETICALLY ,IF U R SYSTEMATIC,RULEBASED TRADER.ENTIRE GAME FOR MAKING MONEY,……….U SHOULD HAVE SOMETHING NATURAL , SMALL CAN BE FINETUNED. OTHERWISE THIS TRAINERS WOULD HAVE BEEN TRADERS.

There is another approach- read from best trader, particularly when they have given insightful thought. Best one is PHANTOM OF PIT.Followed by WAY TO TRADE BY john piper.
3RD ONE = MENTAL FITNESS FOR FUTURE TRADER- NORMAN HALLETT
Book by Curtis Faith –WAYS OF THE TURTLE, TRADING FROM GUT.
Views from LINDA,,Victor S……….WISDOM from experienced trader/mentor published in net.
There is another imp concept – EMOTIONLESS TRADING. THEORITICALLY we should aim it.
…………………………………………� �…………………………………………� ��…………….
By going detail in psychology helps u, how to tackle market uncertainity,when NOT to play. It helps to implement –TRADING AS BUSINESS, EXECUTION AS A JOB.Clarify importance of decision making within fierce battle ground between bull& bear, and when to play for survival, when to shift to play for big win.
The fitment of what style u choose as trader, intraday-day trade-swing- intermediate position ,position for long haul- depends naturally on your personal trait,as well as time/correct knowledge availability.
PSYCHOLOGY HELPS U TO UNDERSTAND WHERE U R NOW.so u can plan ur behavior modification to be a right trader ,with suitable style. It definitely helps to eliminate your life’s valuable time –if trading don’t suit you.If u r not keen to read/watch price attentively- an easy going personality – DON’T WASTE TIME.

marimuthu13

many such things come up in trading where you have to keep the YOU out of trading and that is what this whole business of psychology in trading is all about

Hope I have been able to convey some of the points....there are good authors and books on the subject that may deal with the topic in a better way
suberp explaination for Fear and Greed, bias

Gaur_Krishna

Great posts Pratapji.....:thumb:
Hope nobody asks where to get system signal from.... :lol:
Thanks Vikas for bringing this to notice

Regards,
Gaur_Krishna

the question is can we keep ourselves committed to our (backtested) system and rules or do we do something adverse due to

1. Fear

2. Greed

3. Bias

etc
Fear

mkt has been moving down throughout the day.....and then the system gives a long signal....will you hesitate due to fear that it may just go up a little and then continue down taking your SL? or will you pull the trigger because your system says so...or see the mkt running away and curse yourself that you did not take the long, etc

you have been in long and it has moved some pts in your favor...the system says book partial....will you book without hestation or think that a strong trend is in place so better to hold on as pb may be shallow because you are afraid that you may not be able to get back in into the trend if it continues with shallow pb. but by holding against your system aren't you bringing YOU into play and what if pb is not shallow and all profit vanishes before your eyes?
Greed

something similar to the 2nd pt above but because of greed
you are in say long open position and system say get out....but you think it may go up further so though you are trading 5min chart you rationalize that 15min is in long and keep wider SL...what if it comes near that? will you take that or rationalize that 60 min is in longs and now that most profit has anyway gone....better to hold and see if things will go back in your favor and so on

of course some of above is also Hope (another emotion)
Bias

some people have permanent short bias (thinking that mkt goes up only to fall so keep shorting resistances) or permanent long bias (thinking that mkt going down is a pullback and one should keep buying support)....is this good? or should you be following the system

what about temporal biases? say mkt has been down for last few days and then gaps down...and starts to recover and your system says take long? will you take that long or ignore it because of your short bias or maybe because you have positional shorts and so you ignore intraday long (though you are also trading part of your capital in intraday), Can you keep the two separate?

Look at bank nifty Feb 4, 2014...will you be able to take longs and hold it till end of day because your system is saying to do so?

XRAY27

hi
let me add another

Frustration:In psychology, frustration is a common emotional response to opposition. Related to anger and disappointment, it arises from the perceived resistance to the fulfillment of individual will. The greater the obstruction, and the greater the will, the more the frustration is likely to be.
Example
i have shorted nifty fut at 10.20...but it is not performing and i should exit the trade by 3.10 as per my system rule got frustrated and exited at 2.50 with 12 points loss at 3.10 then the loss will be just brokerage ,even loss is 12 point at 3.10

The involvement of psychological disorder in trade added pressure which turns us to take hasty decision

Due to non performance ..i got frustrated in the trade... after that till now iam sticking to my system rule

Last edited:

amitrandive

PSYCHOLOGY HELPS U TO UNDERSTAND WHERE U R NOW.so u can plan ur behavior modification to be a right trader ,with suitable style. It definitely helps to eliminate your life’s valuable time –if trading don’t suit you.If u r not keen to read/watch price attentively- an easy going personality – DON’T WASTE TIME.
Rightly said Oilman.:clapping:

If you do not know why psychology is needed for a trader, you need not waste time trying to become one.:mad:

Life for a trader is full of ups and downs on a daily basis.This is hard work.As in every business trading has its fair share of failures and successes.People generally read psychology after taking huge hits and draw downs.

It could be much easier if we all studied psychology first and then start trading.

anyone understands the meaning of 'regret minimisation'? its a term which i came across in some social media but not sure what the person who mentioned the term meant by it. can someone explain the meaning pls. thanks!

manishchan

This basically tells you to take up up the tough decisions thinking that you won't regret later in life. The logic defined is called "Regret Minimisation Framework". Go through this small article that I came across long ago.

http://bijansabet.com/post/147533511/jeff-bezos-regret-minimization-framework

anyone understands the meaning of 'regret minimisation'? its a term which i came across in some social media but not sure what the person who mentioned the term meant by it. can someone explain the meaning pls. thanks!

stock72

My 2 cents on this ...
It is impossible to control physiology .. if we succeed in that then no need of trading rather we might end up like Buddha an enlighten one ,,,

so.. how to trade ? very simple .. don't expose yourself to a situation where ur physiologically gets disturbed ...

it can be easily achieved by money management , position sizing , fixed time trading , not watching the market all the day and so on ...

DSM