Naked Strangles in weekly Bank Nifty

newuser_RK

Da, his strategy should work in that period (Aug-16 to Jan-17 at all time IV high), but in my earlier post in your thread, BN annualised volatility has dropped from those 22% to lowest ever levels recently.
Strangle are worst hurt when initiated at such medium to low levels, most of the time they close at break-even and not big profits.
I suggest thread starter to consider current IV levels.

PS: selling BN strangle/straddle at 12-14% ATM IV imho is suicide...
Where can I get historical iv data?
For nifty options VIX is a good proxy but what about bank nifty?

Sent from my AO5510 using Tapatalk

travi

Where can I get historical iv data?
For nifty options VIX is a good proxy but what about bank nifty?
You can't get historical IV in its plain form.
You need to reverse calculate IV from the price for that weekly and chart it. (Black-scholes formula)

travi

You can't get historical IV in its plain form.
You need to reverse calculate IV from the price for that weekly and chart it. (Black-scholes formula)
This is for historical, but once you start paper-trading, learning etc
you need to tabulate this on your own.

As far as your strategy goes, just back testing may not help bcos the future is uncertain.
So you may collect small change in some weeks/months and then give it away in one massive gap.

You can share some historical data about Gaps that appear on Mondays, or WRB at opening.

Since weekends are long R:R may become unfavourable.

newuser_RK

This is for historical, but once you start paper-trading, learning etc
you need to tabulate this on your own.

As far as your strategy goes, just back testing may not help bcos the future is uncertain.
So you may collect small change in some weeks/months and then give it away in one massive gap.

You can share some historical data about Gaps that appear on Mondays, or WRB at opening.

Since weekends are long R:R may become unfavourable.
That's true Gaps are the biggest enemy of this method. I will check the data for which Mondays are gap up

newuser_RK

This week also 40 points gain at least.
I would like to add that one may also buy an insurance by buying a deep otm put option to avoid a black swan event
So on Friday for a 21100 straddle one could have bought 20500 put which lost only 1 point yesterday