My Trading Diary for 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shorted Nifty Fut 1 lot @ 5318.

I was trying to put a SL order of 5343 with a trigger price of 5342.50. But as soon as entered the order, it gets executed immediately @ 5319.70.

Take a look at the image below. It is my order history.

I can't understand that how it could execute without triggering the trigger price :confused:
Any way by taking this trade I have lost Rs. 221 Including taxes.
If you Shorted one lot, then to cover it you will have to Buy it.
And as you said, you entered a Buy SL order for 5343 with Trigger Price of 5342.5.
Since it got executed at 5319.70, it means that while adding the Order, it was added as a Normal Buy Order and not as a Stop Loss Buy Order.
You should check both your order book as well as Trade book.

iyerboi

Shorted Nifty Fut 1 lot @ 5318.

I was trying to put a SL order of 5343 with a trigger price of 5342.50. But as soon as entered the order, it gets executed immediately @ 5319.70.

Take a look at the image below. It is my order history.

I can't understand that how it could execute without triggering the trigger price :confused:
Any way by taking this trade I have lost Rs. 221 Including taxes.
did u use limit or sl-limit?

also, check order details in the order book - it will show how and why it was executed.

soft_trader

If you Shorted one lot, then to cover it you will have to Buy it.
And as you said, you entered a Buy SL order for 5343 with Trigger Price of 5342.5.
Since it got executed at 5319.70, it means that while adding the Order, it was added as a Normal Buy Order and not as a Stop Loss Buy Order.
You should check both your order book as well as Trade book.
I have shorted Nifty @ 5318 with a target of 5290 and with a SL of 5343.

That's why I was placing an SL-L order, to put a Stop loss.

The screen-shot shows the order history, as how the order gets executed. In the picture it shows, step-by-step how my order gets executed.

Though it is written as executed @ 5343, it actually got executed at 5319.7

Anyway, jo hua accha hua, coz, otherwise it would have hit the SL @ 5343 that day.

iyerboi

what's the thumb rule of placing stoploss/trigger price while buying/selling?please tell me.

-Lini
well, depends on how much u r ready to lose. they typically say 2% of ur capital is the thumb rule but it all depends on you. of u are comfortable losing 200, dnt place an sl of 500. sl shd be such tat u dnt panic or become emotional. also, it shd be commensurate woth the reward - eg. dont keep sl of 500 with a target of 200 - ur avg profit trade should be greater than ur avg loss trade - so that even if u are right oly 50% of the time, u are still in the money.

but ofcourse, even i dnt follow my rules at times and get a royal screwing. :)

well, depends on how much u r ready to lose. they typically say 2% of ur capital is the thumb rule but it all depends on you. of u are comfortable losing 200, dnt place an sl of 500. sl shd be such tat u dnt panic or become emotional. also, it shd be commensurate woth the reward - eg. dont keep sl of 500 with a target of 200 - ur avg profit trade should be greater than ur avg loss trade - so that even if u are right oly 50% of the time, u are still in the money.

but ofcourse, even i dnt follow my rules at times and get a royal screwing. :)
please give one example.I read somewhere trigger price should be higher while buying etc :confused:

soft_trader

please give one example.I read somewhere trigger price should be higher while buying etc :confused:
If you are in bought position, i.e. you have bought shares, then Place SELL Stop-loss with a trigger price higher than the SL Limit price.

And, if you are in Short position, i.e. you have sold shares, then Place BUY Stop-loss with a trigger price lower than the SL Limit price.

Hope you understand. :)

iyerboi

i din get u there, but this is wht i try to do: my profits are generally in the range of 125-250. so i try to keep my losses at 100 + brokerage.

moreover, try to find nearest support/resistance below which u can keep ur sl. eg. if i buy at 103 and support is at 102, id want to keep the sl at 101.75.

Status
Not open for further replies.