My trading Diary - 10k to 1Lakh – Time ASAP

The Pig

Hi Everyone,
This will be my trading journal, wanted to start it long back, finally starting it now.
Here goes my story of trading in 3 Stages.
Stage 1:
I started trading some 10 years back.
Started with 16k. No TA, FA, No charts. Used to check daily, weekly, monthly gainers in Rediff.com and if some stock was in all 3 or at least 2 categories, used to buy it. It was highly profitable year with around 300% returns.
Looking back at why trades/investments might have worked,
  • Less money. So, very good money management, didn’t hold stock if in losses.
  • Booked profits early, some stocks went up very high after that.
  • Held stocks long (not too long though).
  • Even donkeys make money in bull market.

Stage 2:
Had stopped trading for few years, Started back trading in 2013.Now I had saved some money after years of hard work. Traded on news, TV recommendations. Just simply bought if stock seemed moving up, as soon as I bought it used to go down. No TA, FA, No charts. Traded in random companies. I remember one particular trade around 2014/2015 where Bank of Baroda result was very bad, around 3000cr, no company used to show losses like that then. All great TV analysts recommended selling. I shorted 4000 @ 115 before opening (in cash segment, didn’t know I had to square off same day) stock went up to 138, didn’t book losses thinking it might fall down. After 2 days, luckily (.!!!) It was still around 138, broker squared off. Oh yes, all great TV analysts in the evening said loss was already factored in the price, it’s a good buy. Now, I observe that they don’t recommend stocks on earning day before it starts trading (observe it yourselves once).

Looking back at why trades/investments at not working
  • Heavy losses. No Money management since I had a bit of amount.
  • No Plan, just bought stocks randomly and by Analysts recommendation.
  • Didn’t book profits when I could, let profits turn to losses.
Stage 3:
Continuously trading, still in losses. But now I try to analyse stock, at least that’s what I intend to do,
I plan on scalping/intraday trading to build corpus for swing/positional trading/investment.
I plan to trade based on News, Events and with stop losses, I haven’t mastered it yet, hoping trading journal helps me, that’s the actual reason for starting this journal.
Why I am here,
  • To create a trading journal, plan my trades.
  • To learn proper stop losses, profit booking.
  • Try with simple S/R methods.
  • To learn pyramiding and to stop averaging losses.
  • I trade Equities , F & O
Forgot to add, i was using full broker, couldnt book 1 or 2 rs profit. one instance i remember where i had done multiple trades and was at profit of 1k,but when i checked statement next day there was loss of 500Rs.
thanks to discount brokers now.

Any questions, suggestions are welcome. I might not be able to guide on what to do, but I am a master in telling what not to do.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
This will be my trading journal, wanted to start it long back, finally starting it now.
Stage 1:
Started with 16k. No TA, FA, No charts. Used to check daily, weekly, monthly gainers in Rediff.com and if some stock was in all 3 or at least 2 categories, used to buy it. It was highly profitable year with around 300% returns.
  • Even donkeys make money in bull market.

Stage 2:
Had stopped trading for few years, Started back trading in 2013.Now I had saved some money after years of hard work. Traded on news, TV recommendations. Just simply bought if stock seemed moving up, as soon as I bought it used to go down. No TA, FA, No charts. Traded in random companies. I remember one particular trade around 2014/2015 where Bank of Baroda result was very bad, around 3000cr, no company used to show losses like that then. All great TV analysts recommended selling. I shorted 4000 @ 115 before opening (in cash segment, didn’t know I had to square off same day) stock went up to 138, didn’t book losses thinking it might fall down. After 2 days, luckily (.!!!) It was still around 138, broker squared off. Oh yes, all great TV analysts in the evening said loss was already factored in the price, it’s a good buy. Now, I observe that they don’t recommend stocks on earning day before it starts trading (observe it yourselves once).

Stage 3:
Continuously trading, still in losses. But now I try to analyse stock, at least that’s what I intend to do,
I plan on scalping/intraday trading to build corpus for swing/positional trading/investment.
I plan to trade based on News, Events and with stop losses, I haven’t mastered it yet, hoping trading journal helps me, that’s the actual reason for starting this journal.
Why I am here,
  • To learn pyramiding and to stop averaging losses.
  • I trade Equities , F & O
Forgot to add, i was using full broker, couldnt book 1 or 2 rs profit. one instance i remember where i had done multiple trades and was at profit of 1k,but when i checked statement next day there was loss of 500Rs.

Any questions, suggestions are welcome. I might not be able to guide on what to do, but I am a master in telling what not to do.
Thanks
seems stage 2 is the question and stage one is the answers..

primitivetrader

Hi Everyone,
Stage 1:
Started with 16k. No TA, FA, No charts. Used to check daily, weekly, monthly gainers in Rediff.com and if some stock was in all 3 or at least 2 categories, used to buy it. It was highly profitable year with around 300% returns. this actually is a sound approach and logic your problem was that you were not able to build a process around this logic.
  • Even donkeys make money in bull market. there is always a bull mkt in couple of stocks whatever is the general market condition is. in 2008 it was heromotocop which kept on going up up and up (must be some funda reason, which i dont know but technically also it was very much tradable on the long side). very recently its was bergerpaint,asianpaints, infy, tcs etc there are many more but i can recall them on top of my mind. so best approach be the DONKEY and make money in bull stocks.

Stage 2:
Had stopped trading for few years, Started back trading in 2013.Now I had saved some money after years of hard work. Traded on news, TV recommendations. Just simply bought if stock seemed moving up, as soon as I bought it used to go down. No TA, FA, No charts. Traded in random companies. I remember one particular trade around 2014/2015 where Bank of Baroda result was very bad, around 3000cr, no company used to show losses like that then. All great TV analysts recommended selling. I shorted 4000 @ 115 before opening (in cash segment, didn’t know I had to square off same day) stock went up to 138, didn’t book losses thinking it might fall down. After 2 days, luckily (.!!!) It was still around 138, broker squared off. Oh yes, all great TV analysts in the evening said loss was already factored in the price, it’s a good buy. Now, I observe that they don’t recommend stocks on earning day before it starts trading (observe it yourselves once).analysts have nothing to do with our losses, as we choose to follow them and here they must have give the sl also did you use it?

Stage 3:
I plan on scalping/intraday trading to build corpus for swing/positional trading/investment.theoretically this sounds wonderful idea. but this approach will most probably blow you account faster than you think. as scalping need very sound knowledge of ta and of yourself. just because you are planning to use sl does not mean anything if your trades are based on news and events(as your risk is very high so losses will pile up but slowly as sl is there). news and events can be traded but again its a difficult for a beginner.
I plan to trade based on News, Events and with stop losses, I haven’t mastered it yet, hoping trading journal helps me, that’s the actual reason for starting this journal. no trading journal wont help you if your foundation of good method and plan is not there. you are putting cart in front of horses.
Why I am here,
  • To learn pyramiding and to stop averaging losses.you are opening too many fronts to conqueror. understand that trading is not simple S/R method or any method. trading is difficult and extremely difficult thats why everybody cannot be a profitable trader. first find good trading habits then method thn make a trading plan then trade and then maintain a journal then analyse your data and journal
  • I trade Equities , F & O f&o charm is irresistible, particularly options. this is a account death trap. stock futures demands huge capital min 5-10 lakh (and with new physical delivery another complex variable to handle). even if you are coming with this short of capital better to trade it wisely in you initial stage of trading.

Any questions, suggestions are welcome. I might not be able to guide on what to do, but I am a master in telling what not to do. what is the return you are expecting month on month or yearly ? and why you think that you can earn this return only with scalping and intra ?
Thanks

Planning, observing, thinking, analyzing, arriving at trading decision, thinking/deciding about trade size (MM),
then executing orders and trade management, if one does all this during market hours,
is't there too much to do . . .

Instead do all this stuff except trade management before the market opens,
in short trade to a definite plan/system, and focus only on execution during 9.15 AM to 3.30 PM
(the system need not be 100% mechanical, can be a simple set of rules)

All the Best :up:

The Pig

Thanks a lot, You have been very helpful, as always. highlighted are my answers.

Hi Everyone,
Stage 1:
Started with 16k. No TA, FA, No charts. Used to check daily, weekly, monthly gainers in Rediff.com and if some stock was in all 3 or at least 2 categories, used to buy it. It was highly profitable year with around 300% returns. this actually is a sound approach and logic your problem was that you were not able to build a process around this logic.
Yes,i understood that its a good approach only after reading market wizards. i will try to build a process around that.

• Even donkeys make money in bull market. there is always a bull mkt in couple of stocks whatever is the general market condition is. in 2008 it was heromotocop which kept on going up up and up (must be some funda reason, which i dont know but technically also it was very much tradable on the long side). very recently its was bergerpaint,asianpaints, infy, tcs etc there are many more but i can recall them on top of my mind. so best approach be the DONKEY and make money in bull stocks.
Very true, i would rather be donkey and make money. You can be any animal as long as you make money . As Stanley Druckenmiller says "The first thing I heard when I got in the business....was bulls make money, bears make money, and pigs get slaughtered. I'm here to tell you I was a pig. And I strongly believe the only way to make long-term returns in our business that are superior is by being a pig "

Stage 2:
Had stopped trading for few years, Started back trading in 2013.Now I had saved some money after years of hard work. Traded on news, TV recommendations. Just simply bought if stock seemed moving up, as soon as I bought it used to go down. No TA, FA, No charts. Traded in random companies. I remember one particular trade around 2014/2015 where Bank of Baroda result was very bad, around 3000cr, no company used to show losses like that then. All great TV analysts recommended selling. I shorted 4000 @ 115 before opening (in cash segment, didn’t know I had to square off same day) stock went up to 138, didn’t book losses thinking it might fall down. After 2 days, luckily (.!!!) It was still around 138, broker squared off. Oh yes, all great TV analysts in the evening said loss was already factored in the price, it’s a good buy. Now, I observe that they don’t recommend stocks on earning day before it starts trading (observe it yourselves once).analysts have nothing to do with our losses, as we choose to follow them and here they must have give the sl also did you use it?
i am sure they would have given stop loss,but i didnt observe that since it was SURESHOT..!!!! i know it was my fault, the reason i added it was to remind the people following analysts to re evaluate what they are doing.

Stage 3:
I plan on scalping/intraday trading to build corpus for swing/positional trading/investment.theoretically this sounds wonderful idea. but this approach will most probably blow you account faster than you think. as scalping need very sound knowledge of ta and of yourself. just because you are planning to use sl does not mean anything if your trades are based on news and events(as your risk is very high so losses will pile up but slowly as sl is there). news and events can be traded but again its a difficult for a beginner.
I plan to trade based on News, Events and with stop losses, I haven’t mastered it yet, hoping trading journal helps me, that’s the actual reason for starting this journal. no trading journal wont help you if your foundation of good method and plan is not there. you are putting cart in front of horses.
Why I am here,
  • To learn pyramiding and to stop averaging losses.you are opening too many fronts to conqueror. understand that trading is not simple S/R method or any method. trading is difficult and extremely difficult thats why everybody cannot be a profitable trader. first find good trading habits then method thn make a trading plan then trade and then maintain a journal then analyse your data and journal
  • I trade Equities , F & O f&o charm is irresistible, particularly options. this is a account death trap. stock futures demands huge capital min 5-10 lakh (and with new physical delivery another complex variable to handle). even if you are coming with this short of capital better to trade it wisely in you initial stage of trading.

Any questions, suggestions are welcome. I might not be able to guide on what to do, but I am a master in telling what not to do. what is the return you are expecting month on month or yearly ? and why you think that you can earn this return only with scalping and intra ?
My expectations are very high which i would mention as this thread progresses.
i generally turn my profits into losses, i am generally profitable untill i lose everything in few trades. so i believe i can earn this return if i control this.

The Pig

Planning, observing, thinking, analyzing, arriving at trading decision, thinking/deciding about trade size (MM),
then executing orders and trade management, if one does all this during market hours,
is't there too much to do . . .

Instead do all this stuff except trade management before the market opens,
in short trade to a definite plan/system, and focus only on execution during 9.15 AM to 3.30 PM
(the system need not be 100% mechanical, can be a simple set of rules)

All the Best :up:

Thanks, though it seems too much to do,i generally do it comfortably. but yes,i understand what to you say and thats what my intention is too, to do all this stuff except trade management before the market opens.

SwagatN

Good luck brother, I am very much in a similar boat and under a huge pressure to perform and increase my capital. Nice to see you up by more than 100% in 1st week itself. I,myself have no knowledge on trading option so I fear them to touch. I am trading with cash only.. Hoping to learn something from your thread. Are these intraday trades or trades carried over night ? Please share some insights in to your trading technicals like do you trade on option chart or future/cash charts and take trade with options, and do you consider option geeks etc etc.