My picks from a 5 year perspective (2020)

Hi Guys,

I have selected these 25 stock to invest in over next 3 years from a 5 year perspective. Do you guys like or dislike any? How much gain should i expect realistically if the economy starts growing at 9% again. Would you recommend something else instead of one or more of these stocks? Is a 5 year window enough for long terms gains to play out or it has to be even longer for any of these stocks?

Here is the list

TATA STEEL
Taj Gvk
TATA Motors
Bank Of Baroda
CESC
Crompton Greaves
ICICI bank
NESTLE INDIA
State Bank Of India
ASIANPAINT (Not bought yet as currently expensive)
Mahindra and Mahindra (Not bought yet as currently expensive)
Tata Telecommunications
Voltas
YES Bank (Not bought yet as currently expensive)
BHEL
Ultratech Cement
Hindustan Unilever (Not bought yet as currently expensive)
BAJAJ-AUTO
ASHOK LEYLAND
reliance industries
HDFC bank (Not bought yet as currently expensive)
BHARTIARTL (Not bought yet as currently expensive)
L&T (Not bought yet as currently expensive)

Last edited:

indianbank

Pharma and Oil and gas Refineries and Information technology missing ....

You can avoid public sector banks... i dont see any growth in that sector

Last edited:
I do not like oil and gas, minerals etc. Indias long term future is in renewables. (I have not found any good renewable to invest in)

My selection criteria is to buy stocks that are at least 15% below their 52 week or life time highs.
So i have not bought these stocks yet , waiting for a decent price in near or not so near future:

Mahindra and Mahindra
YES Bank
Hindustan Unilever
BAJAJ-AUTO
ASHOK LEYLAND
HDFC bank
BHARTIARTL
L&T

Pharma and Oil and gas Refineries and Information technology missing ....

You can avoid public sector banks... i dont see any growth in that sector
Sorry forgot to mention about Information technology as well. I do not like IT sector for long term as well. As it is based on outsourcing and inevitably as Indian exports more and INR will become stronger in long term , these companies will come crashing. I would only invest in IT companies if they get business from within India. If Digital India works out so well that India has lot of IT projects to offer then yes. I think IT sector be good after 2020 when Indian economy will ber about 5 - 6 Trillion dollars ( a real service based economy) and these companies will not be dependent on Visa frauds to get their business.

rkkarnani

I would like to add for Long Term only:
Page Industries at CMP
Repco (has suddenly moved up, add on slight decline)
Gruh (Gradual addition)
Praj (has suddenly moved up, add on slight decline)
Granules at CMP

I would like to add for Long Term only:
Page Industries at CMP
Repco (has suddenly moved up, add on slight decline)
Gruh (Gradual addition)
Praj (has suddenly moved up, add on slight decline)
Granules at CMP
Sorry i do not invest in companies that are either not large or unknown or are not industry leaders or are good brands. (CESC is an exception as i was sleeping when i clicked on Buy button :) )

rkkarnani

Sorry i do not invest in companies that are either not large or unknown or are not industry leaders or are good brands. (CESC is an exception as i was sleeping when i clicked on Buy button :) )
Okay ! :thumb:
But do research Page and Repco !

I have been holding Page from ~1500 level and last add was at 14450 recently!

Repco I entered ~ 175 levels, right when it was listed after IPO , added more at 200 ,350 and 440 !

Granules : Well they are leaders in what they do ! Have a look!

Gruh is nothing but min HDFC !

Just posted my views, but best is to invest in a stock in which we our ourselves confident and not on anyone's recommendations !

All the best, and thanks for starting this thread.

Okay ! :thumb:
But do research Page and Repco !

I have been holding Page from ~1500 level and last add was at 14450 recently!

Repco I entered ~ 175 levels, right when it was listed after IPO , added more at 200 ,350 and 440 !

Granules : Well they are leaders in what they do ! Have a look!

Gruh is nothing but min HDFC !

Just posted my views, but best is to invest in a stock in which we our ourselves confident and not on anyone's recommendations !

All the best, and thanks for starting this thread.
I appreciate ur comments and good to hear that u are confy with these mid caps / small caps. Indeed such companies can provide sky high return if chosen correctly. Although my aim is merely to see long term appreciation of modest levels. I would appreaciate if u could tell me that there is any stock in my liust that i should not hold for long term. I have mostly bough cyclicals and my best expectation is that these stocks might double or triple in next 5 years from CMP. (i have not bough all , waiting for some to become more attractive). Do you think my expectation are realistic ?

rkkarnani

I appreciate ur comments and good to hear that u are confy with these mid caps / small caps. Indeed such companies can provide sky high return if chosen correctly. Although my aim is merely to see long term appreciation of modest levels. I would appreaciate if u could tell me that there is any stock in my liust that i should not hold for long term. I have mostly bough cyclicals and my best expectation is that these stocks might double or triple in next 5 years from CMP. (i have not bough all , waiting for some to become more attractive). Do you think my expectation are realistic ?
Your list of Stocks is good! Only stock I am apprehensive is Tata Tele ! My personal opinion : The only thing positive about the share is that it has the name TATA in it.(And its at its life time low which is almost one tenth of its high.) Fact is I never could understand about the share holding of TTML and its Business area etc.etc. I bought it around 28+ and exited at ~<18/- in Jan 2011. I did buy because of the hype of the Name of this stock in the market at that time, the stock had dropped from ~60+ to ~ 15 and was rising,thinking its the Company that has the Tata Group's Telecommunication business. It was only later I could gather that it is actually a subsidiary of Tatateleservice Ltd which is not a listed entity !
If you can share your reason for selecting this stocks in the list that has some BIG names, I would be pleased to add some quantity in my portfolio again! :)