My Bank Nifty Options trading diary

pannet1

Another good news.

I have managed to download Z my option trades from Z since I started trading with them (July last year) and then upload the data into mysql database and then do some PHP, javascript, google chart thing and create a equity curve. Well its not yet ready to import other trader's data but theoretically it is not impossible. Since I am importing data into Mysql with admin privileges, I cannot import other trader's data.

If anyone is interested and capable of hosting it in their own PHP/MYSQL server please let me know.

You have more details here

pannet1

Shucks! BN overnight loss expanded from 25 points to 35 points. inspite of catching falling knives on both the hands. now only can bend and turn back. :D

Got Day trading 60 points all offset by the weekly bullish PUT sales.
Updated my 1st trading day of March '17 Horizontal / Diagonal Spread Strategy ...Open Positions and P & L to my google drive.

pannet1

I got 20 points today. Also added about 10 points or less (SL) to the spread. Rolled strikes several times. Sold the Monthly one strike below the Bought Put and so now we have March Put Spread.

I am doing some coding changes to equity curve (below) so that now batch (daily) updates are possible. With the present state I need to import the entire data set from Z backoffice and then upload it to the MySQL server.

Note: Yesterday added some metrics like we will have in a strategy tester below to the equity curve (below).

pannet1

This month I am catching my trades in the Monthly income thread and hope to catch my emotions in this diary thread. Emotions is used specifically used in a loosing trade and after moving trail stop very closely by traders. But when I say emotions here I mean ... this month I feel a little less confident of making good profit.
  • Even though time (theta) is there to save me, this month is less volatile and not much weekly premiums to catch so far.
  • Another worrying factor was even though there was 200 point down move the monthly PUT bought did not move much in my favour.
  • The ordeal continued throughout the day and the Sold monthly PUT was also not loosing much premium.
  • Also my attempts to add profitable additional legs failed (they hit Trailing SL quicker). Looks like I am bleeding.
  • I am also not taking profits regularly like I did during previous months.

Overall this month will be an acid test and I want it to remain like that. This will increase my confidence to a great extent.

Note: Feb 2017 ROI is 3.5% without taking into account the unrealised profit and the brokerage refund.

I began the 1st day of the month with negative carried forward from Feb expiry.

Nevertheless, you can expect the Red above to turn Green by the end of the month.

This month I am catching my trades in the Monthly income thread and hope to catch my emotions in this diary thread. Emotions is used specifically used in a loosing trade and after moving trail stop very closely by traders. But when I say emotions here I mean ... this month I feel a little less confident of making good profit.
  • Even though time (theta) is there to save me, this month is less volatile and not much weekly premiums to catch so far.
  • Another worrying factor was even though there was 200 point down move the monthly PUT bought did not move much in my favour.
  • The ordeal continued throughout the day and the Sold monthly PUT was also not loosing much premium.
  • Also my attempts to add profitable additional legs failed (they hit Trailing SL quicker). Looks like I am bleeding.
  • I am also not taking profits regularly like I did during previous months.

Overall this month will be an acid test and I want it to remain like that. This will increase my confidence to a great extent.

Note: Feb 2017 ROI is 3.5% without taking into account the unrealised profit and the brokerage refund.
I read this thread twice but still didn't understand :eek:
can u explain in brief what adjustments and when ?
thanks

Congrats for winning. more to come :thumb:!!

pannet1

I read this thread twice but still didn't understand :eek:
can u explain in brief what adjustments and when ?
thanks

Congrats for winning. more to come :thumb:!!
Dear Charles,

Thank you for the kind words. Please download Monthly Open Positions & P & L of Horizontals and Diagonals excel sheet from my signature

In the excel sheet, present open position is on the top. Closed positions from 27Feb, (which we consider under March month), the first trading date after Feb expiry ... till 3 March .. is at the bottom. Then you could ask specific questions on a particular day. In general I am using PUTS, so if price goes above the spread then I sell more premiums by 2 ways:-

1) By Rolling up the Sold Put
2) By Selling additional PUT on Intraday basis.

When Rolling up and/or Adding we choose different expiry depending on the premium levels. If we are near the end of the weekly expiry we don't Short that expiry ... we look for next week. If bid/ask spread is more we short the Monthly itself till the situation for selling weekly is conducive.

Vice versa ... if price goes below our spread ... replace Sell with Buy. The Main difference while adding Buy legs is we Buy Monthly Put. This way we can easily trail stop overnight Buy position and carry forward the additional intraday Leg to the next day.

Ideally the action time is when one leg is at about 20 point profit atleast. But I tend to overreact and get excited and start acting sooner than that.

Hope I am clear now.

Last edited:
Dear Charles,

Thank you for the kind words. Please download Monthly Open Positions & P & L of Horizontals and Diagonals excel sheet from my signature

In the excel sheet, present open position is on the top. Closed positions from 27Feb, (which we consider under March month), the first trading date after Feb expiry ... till 3 March .. is at the bottom. Then you could ask specific questions on a particular day. In general I am using PUTS, so if price goes above the spread then I sell more premiums by 2 ways:-

When Rolling up and/or Adding we choose different expiry depending on the premium levels. If we are near the end of the weekly expiry we don't Short that expiry ... we look for next week. If bid/ask spread is more we short the Monthly itself till the situation for selling weekly is conducive.

Vice versa ... if price goes below our spread ... replace Sell with Buy. The Main difference while adding Buy legs is we Buy Monthly Put. This way we can easily trail stop overnight Buy position and carry forward the additional intraday Leg to the next day.

Ideally the action time is when one leg is at about 20 point profit atleast. But I tend to overreact and get excited and start acting sooner than that.

Hope I am clear now.
Thanks a lot.
Is that sheet updated in drive ?.. showing 28feb dates
but i have the positions from ur earlier post here.. so no problem

saving these posts. will read n understand later.
i have some exams coming up now which i hv to clear anyhow :(
see u when u win ur next challenge :)

pannet1

Hi Charles,

Sorry. My apologies. Uploaded the latest version now. Good luck with your exams.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot.
Is that sheet updated in drive ?.. showing 28feb dates
but i have the positions from ur earlier post here.. so no problem

saving these posts. will read n understand later.
i have some exams coming up now which i hv to clear anyhow :(
see u when u win ur next challenge :)

pannet1

I am now able to upload the trades file from Z backoffice and create this nice curve minus the annotations you see.

I also added certain metrics you may have in a strategy tester. In the actual curve which I have constructed and uploaded to the public server one can hover on the curve and see the individual trade.

check out the curve from my below signature if you are eager. I hope to open source it one day, so you see your own (equity) curves :rofl:

Subhadip

Dear Charles,

Hope I am clear now.
Just a word of Caution!

Selling more put can bring down hugely. Be careful...