My 2019 Trading Log

Hi all,

Took a long break away from trading due personal reasons and now I will resume trading base metals and crude shortly.
The start capital will be about 1 L and I shall put up my trade analysis and results in the hope that I can be guided correctly by the seniors out here who have been immensly helpful in the past.

Capital - 1 L
Instrument - base metals and crude
Type - intraday with an occasional positional if trend strongly in favour.
Statergy - 3 ema's (20, 50 and 200)
Other indicators - none
Candles - normal but refer to heiken ashi at times
Risk per day - 5000 RS (metals from past experience require close to 0.5 RS per lot stop loss at least hence this figure)
Drawdown account - 20 % of account value but apply correction on touching day loss as below
Correction - any day that day loss triggered I stop and next day onwards trade mini lots till day loss recovered
Stop loss - area of last consolidation and if that exceeds day loss I skip the trade. For trailing stop loss I use dynamic ema of 20.
Take profit - none, trail stop loss manually or if it is a pull back depends on set up
Time frame - prefer 3/15/30 min depending on set up. Prefer 3 min by choice.
Trades - used to manage close to 5 a day roughly so expect the some now

Transferred 50 K yesterday so I may start today or latest by tommorow.

Hope I listed everything and look forward to really decent disciplined trading

That's all for now, untill I begin trading shortly.

pannet1

the big secret i learnt from one of the mentor is trade with very less percentage of capital.

one should not be mainly dependent on the trading income for living. this is different from being a full time trade.

atleast try to restrict yourself to a mini script.

just my 5paise

ps: my current crude trade

just an example of a way to look for my trades.

here on i will post the trades with reasoning that i take and not ones i reject. this was a one off to put forth my line of approach to a trade only.

another thing i noticed which surprised me was that i am more inclined to the 15 min for entry and 1 hr/4 hr for analysis with the day chart thrown in for direction. surprising because earlier i used to love shorter time frames. look forward to 4/5 trades a week if this keeps up and not a day like it used to be earlier i guess. good or bad only time will tell

2019-01-15 (1).png

the big secret i learnt from one of the mentor is trade with very less percentage of capital.

one should not be mainly dependent on the trading income for living. this is different from being a full time trade.

atleast try to restrict yourself to a mini script.

just my 5paise

ps: my current crude trade

well and truly said.
just following the approach that has worked well for me in the past. let me see how it goes now for a few months and decide.

Last edited:

pannet1

well and truly said.
just following the approach that has worked well for me in the past. let me see how it goes now for a few months and decide.
if somethings worked for you in the past, its likely to work even now. you should not listen to anyone for that matter.

if somethings worked for you in the past, its likely to work even now. you should not listen to anyone for that matter.
True but no reason to be hard on somebody just advising a cautious route I guess.

I use mini lots for positional usually and main lots for intraday

Far month for positional as per day charts and if there is any sign of a major pullback (as per my chart set up breach of 50 ema is a major pullback) in which case I hold my positional position in the trend direction of the far month but go equal lots on the current month in the direction of the pullback usually from 50 breach to 200 test. Then I decide which position to exit - current or far month accordingly. If I find that 200 has been breached I let go the far month and convert the current month intraday from mis to normal. I found that this method is very effective in my case and keeps me in the trend. It also reduces panic to a big extent. Wish I could explain better but I guess you get an idea of how I work this hedging during pullbacks.

Mostly it used to be a win win game.
Case 1 - I would earn a bonus on the pullbacks and retain my trend position.
Case 2 - I would enter the trend at birth and close the far month position.

However I noticed that the drawback is usually this - major trend consolidate a long time before setting in and/or before reversing so this idea may not work on larger time frames as it does on smaller tf.

pannet1

very nice. following are my understanding and some doubts (you need not answer them).

1. you are basically in a straddle.
  2. sometimes the lot size varies (between the current month and far month).
  3. do you trade both the near and far month in the same direction.
  4. if near and far month are in different direction and one is winning what will you do the other.
the beauty of the system is you could do away with per trade SL (if you wanted to). i was doing something very similar with Bank nifty options. I was doing calender spreads (BUY/SELL same strike) and make additional intraday bets on the winning ones.

wishing you good luck.

True but no reason to be hard on somebody just advising a cautious route I guess.

I use mini lots for positional usually and main lots for intraday

Far month for positional as per day charts and if there is any sign of a major pullback (as per my chart set up breach of 50 ema is a major pullback) in which case I hold my positional position in the trend direction of the far month but go equal lots on the current month in the direction of the pullback usually from 50 breach to 200 test. Then I decide which position to exit - current or far month accordingly. If I find that 200 has been breached I let go the far month and convert the current month intraday from mis to normal. I found that this method is very effective in my case and keeps me in the trend. It also reduces panic to a big extent. Wish I could explain better but I guess you get an idea of how I work this hedging during pullbacks.

Mostly it used to be a win win game.
Case 1 - I would earn a bonus on the pullbacks and retain my trend position.
Case 2 - I would enter the trend at birth and close the far month position.

However I noticed that the drawback is usually this - major trend consolidate a long time before setting in and/or before reversing so this idea may not work on larger time frames as it does on smaller tf.

• you are basically in a straddle.
- no idea as to if this is even a regonosed statergy, lol. I used it by accident after leaving winners too early.
  • sometimes the lot size varies (between the current month and far month).
- I do only commodities so no such issues
  • do you trade both the near and far month in the same direction.
- no, I increase lots if need and keep hedge option open. Never traded both months in same direction.

• if near and far month are in different direction and one is winning what will you do the other
I use 20/50/200 ema ( short term l medium term / long term trend)
Eg - trend bullish ie pb above 20 ema which above 50 which above 200 and all rising

I go long on far month at first sign of rejection by 20 ema (pin bar rejection is entry criteria usually)

Now say a pullback occours and my short term trend is down (20 ema) - no action required
Assume the pullback continues and my medium term trend is down too - action is I wait for a pin bar to go short on clear break of 50 ema ( pb below 20 which below 50)
I ride this hedge untill long term trend is tested (200 ema)

Now only three possiblities exist

Either price breaks 200 ema and trend reverses in which case I let go far month long and hold near month short

Or

200 ema rejects price and it goes back up again in which case I let go short position as soon as I get a confirmation from candles and from slope of ema's etc

Price may stall a while and keep between 50 and 200 for a while in which case I wait

I use this hedging just to save my position untill trend changes and not as a way to book profits both ways

The ama slop has to weaken for me to get into a hedge else I do not use this.

BTW, I saw some of your posts. Someday I will be half as good as you hopefully. Your posts are very insightful and a great source of knowledge, so thank you for sharing them.

Just took a small 'get back into the markets after a long gap' trade, lol. Made some 25 points on crude main. So the start looks promising. Hope the year goes good.[/QUOTE]

pannet1

• you are basically in a straddle.
- no idea as to if this is even a regonosed statergy, lol. I used it by accident after leaving winners too early.
  • sometimes the lot size varies (between the current month and far month).
- I do only commodities so no such issues
  • do you trade both the near and far month in the same direction.
- no, I increase lots if need and keep hedge option open. Never traded both months in same direction.

• if near and far month are in different direction and one is winning what will you do the other
I use 20/50/200 ema ( short term l medium term / long term trend)
Eg - trend bullish ie pb above 20 ema which above 50 which above 200 and all rising

I go long on far month at first sign of rejection by 20 ema (pin bar rejection is entry criteria usually)

Now say a pullback occours and my short term trend is down (20 ema) - no action required
Assume the pullback continues and my medium term trend is down too - action is I wait for a pin bar to go short on clear break of 50 ema ( pb below 20 which below 50)
I ride this hedge untill long term trend is tested (200 ema)

Now only three possiblities exist

Either price breaks 200 ema and trend reverses in which case I let go far month long and hold near month short

Or

200 ema rejects price and it goes back up again in which case I let go short position as soon as I get a confirmation from candles and from slope of ema's etc

Price may stall a while and keep between 50 and 200 for a while in which case I wait

I use this hedging just to save my position untill trend changes and not as a way to book profits both ways

The ama slop has to weaken for me to get into a hedge else I do not use this.
Ah, I get it now.
BTW, I saw some of your posts. Someday I will be half as good as you hopefully. Your posts are very insightful and a great source of knowledge, so thank you for sharing them.
Thanks for the compliments. I am humbled.

Just took a small 'get back into the markets after a long gap' trade, lol. Made some 25 points on crude main. So the start looks promising. Hope the year goes good.
Very good. Keep it up. May this year bring all health and wealth. All the best !

entered trade in crude feb as below - a little while back with an fixed exit at 2030 hrs as inventory due at 2100 hrs. will watch inventory and i may be done for the day. closed this trade at 3747 ie 17 points profit. no chances 30 min before and 30 min after inventory for me. overall a good day and no regrets if i close shop too. 2 trades and some 40 points net overall.

:rolleyes: realised after entry that inventory due today, lol - my bad. ignore positional on chart therefore.

2019-01-16 (1).png