Moving Averages and trend lines

The Pig

Hi All,

Do any of you guys trade using MA and trendlines?
I backtested 9EMA,20 EMA of TCS for year 2010-2013, though EMAs seem to be a bit ok for day trading, trendlines and EMA seems to be not useful. Even S/R seems to be not holding up too. How is it working for you?
I might not be applying it right or may be it doesn’t work at least at the time period I back tested. Would appreciate your thoughts and inputs.

DanPSup

Hedge Strategy Trader in Options and Futures
Hi All,

I backtested 9EMA,20 EMA of TCS for year 2010-2013, though EMAs seem to be a bit ok for day trading, trendlines and EMA seems to be not useful. Even S/R seems to be not holding up too. How is it working for you?
I might not be applying it right or may be it doesn’t work at least at the time period I back tested. Would appreciate your thoughts and inputs.
Lots of information in the following link, but you have to read through it by your self ;)

https://www.traderji.com/community/search/20216/?q=Moving+A&t=post&o=relevance

The Pig

primitivetrader

Hi All,

Yes, I do use trend lines and trend channels extensively. Part of my system. I follow wyckoff way of drawing them. It works well and serves it purpose. I don't know how you use it but for me it's a good tool

bashasm

Hi All,

I used 20ema for short term trading. Success depends more on the psychology and trade management.

newtrader101

Hi All,

5 min chart of TCS with hourly support lines.
1567397259756.png

Trend line channel
1567397372105.png

1567397716977.png

Hope I've drawn the trend lines and marked the lower highs correctly. Or is it the lower high outside the old trend line? in 2250-2225.

Last edited:

primitivetrader

bashasm

Combination of 20 EMA with super trend 7,3 provide good result if managed with good MM
I researched a lot and everywhere it says no matter what technicals you use, only money management makes the real difference.
In my personal experience, more than entry, the exit is very important, I mess up the exits early in the fear of losing profits.
Did you face similar issues? How did you overcome?