Month Trading F&O

tortoise

I like some of the posts in https://www.traderji.com/community/threads/day-trading-stocks-futures.89068/ but find distracting the number of posts about day trades on random names making/losing a few rupees here and there.

I'm interested in opinions on 1-3 month long/short strategies in F&O. I avoid outright longs/shorts - should at least have offsetting index future/option position. So for eg. trade that has worked ok (+2.2% last month) and may continue to work well is long nifty/short banknifty.

Thanks!
Tbh I'm running out of ideas and as I'm getting older also have less conviction in the ideas/views I do have.
Hence the interest in others' ideas/opinions.
Cool, I am nearly a senior citizen myself.

Doesn't matter if your ideas appear unappealing to you, just post them. That is more likely to attract attention and response.

primitivetrader

I like some of the posts in https://www.traderji.com/community/threads/day-trading-stocks-futures.89068/ but find distracting the number of posts about day trades on random names making/losing a few rupees here and there.

I'm interested in opinions on 1-3 month long/short strategies in F&O. I avoid outright longs/shorts - should at least have offsetting index future/option position. So for eg. trade that has worked ok (+2.2% last month) and may continue to work well is long nifty/short banknifty.
everybody have different way of trading the mkt few like me are happy making few rupees here and there. if you find it distracting simply dont visit the particular thread. it require as much skills as it required in other form of trading. and everybody is not cut for day trading may be you are also in that group.

DanPSup

Hedge Strategy Trader in Options and Futures

You could go for future and option hedge strategys. But the same you can do with shares and options. Or you could go with swaps and so on. So what are you asking for?

tortoise

Cool, I am nearly a senior citizen myself.

Doesn't matter if your ideas appear unappealing to you, just post them. That is more likely to attract attention and response.
Ok. Here's one that's caught my attention:

SBI has outperformed Nifty50 by ~20%, BankNifty by ~10% and Next50 by ~25% over last 1y and has been on par or better over 5y. This shouldn't be the situation with an efficiently run private sector unless the general economy is dire due to a combination of public capital crowding out private capital and the govt. extracting disproportionate rents/taxes from the private sector. A public sector bank with 250k employees is not an efficient use of capital.

For me to get interested in anything it has to have the potential to outperform SBI by a significant margin (at least 10%) over a year. I find it difficult to envision Nifty50 outperforming SBI by 10% for the rest of 2019 so haven't gone outright long/short. Instead sold SBI calls (>25% IV) delta hedged with long NF. No stop loss nonsense - will hold until monthly expiry. Will try to remember to update on rollover.

Last edited: