Low Risk Options Trading Strategy - Option Spreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW10

Swamy,
I was really happy the day NSE announced this feature on their site. It is how options price data is displayed in global markets.
Continuing from previous post on Option Chain Table..once u get the basics of option pricing right, the this table becomes important tool in your option trading. specially in selecting
right option strike price. Here are some example about how to use

1) For simple buy option trade - In a glance u will know (1) which strike prices are ITM/OTM and how far away they are from current mkt price. (2) Amount of intrinsic value and time value in each
on the strike. So that u know how what part of price you are paying for real value in the option and what is getting paid towards the air/hope surrounding the option.
eg - 500 call going in 63 when stock is 536.. i.e. it has real/intrinisic value of 36 rs. and time value of 63-36 = 27.
520 Call going at 32 has intrinsick value = 16, and time value of 32-16 = 16 rs. So it makes sense to go ahead and buy 520 call, where u pay less for time value/Air/hope. and more for real value.
If you buy 540 Call, it is OTM hence whole 20 Rs is time value.. i.e. price of air around it.

2) For comparing option spreads.. in one glance u can compare reward risk ratio of various combination.
Taking above example, if you buy 500-520 Call spread, i.e. buy 500 call, sell 520 call. Your net cost will be 63 - 32 = 31 ie Max risk. And Max reward will be 520-500 i.e. 20 rs. i.e. You are risking 31 to make 20.
Compare this to 520-540 call spread . Net cost = 32-20 = 12, Max reward = 540-520 = 20. RRRatio = 20/12 = 1.75:1. i.e you are risking 12 to make 20.

This comparision helps in making decision to pick 520-540 spread against 500-520 spread.

3) If you are short straddle (sell 1 call and 1 put of same strike price) trader, then u can quickly decide your breakeven price for straddle created at different strike price.
500 straddle will fetch u 45+10 = 55 Rs. Giving you breakeven points of 500-55 = 435 and 500+55 = 555.
520 straddle will fetch u 31+16 = 47 Rs. Giving you breakeven points of 520-47 = 473 and 520+47 = 567.
540 straddle will fetch u 20+25 = 45 Rs. Giving you breakeven points of 540-45 = 495 and 540+45 = 585.

So depending on your reading of stocks price range in next few days you can decide which straddle to short. Max profit in short straddle comes when price moves towards the strike price in your
target closing time. You start loosing in straddle only when spot moves out of the breakeven points.

don't worry even if u don't understand what I have written, U can always come back to this later. But power of using this table is enormous, provide.. your foundation is right and you know how to use it..
In my option trading, most of the decision are taken based on this table only. Once I decide the strategy to use, then I use this table to select the strike price.

Happy Trading

Placebo

Hi aw10.

I have no idea how i missed this thread. I have read about options and the influence of different variables on P/L account while trading options but never used real money to trade options. This seems like an excellent place for me to start and build up some confidence before i go live with OPTIONS . Thanks for sharing

Cheers And Happy Trading

I am a regular watcher of Trader JI I dont know how do i remained off looking this usefull Thread and Thanks to AW for very simple explanatory notes.

DanPickUp

Hi aw10.

I have no idea how i missed this thread. I have read about options and the influence of different variables on P/L account while trading options but never used real money to trade options. This seems like an excellent place for me to start and build up some confidence before i go live with OPTIONS . Thanks for sharing

Cheers And Happy Trading
Yes. How could you miss that one ? Good to see you here and welcome.

DanPickUp

DanPickUp

Hy AW10

Thanks for your very clear explanations about option pricing. It must have been time consuming to write all that stuff. I hope the people recognize the professional value behind it and use it in the right way.

My question to you would be : Why using straddles and why not using ratio spreads when it comes to selling strategies ?

Regards and good trading

DanPickUp

sumitdasjoshi

Swamy,
I was really happy the day NSE announced this feature on their site. It is how options price data is displayed in global markets.
Continuing from previous post on Option Chain Table..once u get the basics of option pricing right, the this table becomes important tool in your option trading. specially in selecting
right option strike price. Here are some example about how to use

1) For simple buy option trade - In a glance u will know (1) which strike prices are ITM/OTM and how far away they are from current mkt price. (2) Amount of intrinsic value and time value in each
on the strike. So that u know how what part of price you are paying for real value in the option and what is getting paid towards the air/hope surrounding the option.
eg - 500 call going in 63 when stock is 536.. i.e. it has real/intrinisic value of 36 rs. and time value of 63-36 = 27.
520 Call going at 32 has intrinsick value = 16, and time value of 32-16 = 16 rs. So it makes sense to go ahead and buy 520 call, where u pay less for time value/Air/hope. and more for real value.
If you buy 540 Call, it is OTM hence whole 20 Rs is time value.. i.e. price of air around it.

2) For comparing option spreads.. in one glance u can compare reward risk ratio of various combination.
Taking above example, if you buy 500-520 Call spread, i.e. buy 500 call, sell 520 call. Your net cost will be 63 - 32 = 31 ie Max risk. And Max reward will be 520-500 i.e. 20 rs. i.e. You are risking 31 to make 20.
Compare this to 520-540 call spread . Net cost = 32-20 = 12, Max reward = 540-520 = 20. RRRatio = 20/12 = 1.75:1. i.e you are risking 12 to make 20.

This comparision helps in making decision to pick 520-540 spread against 500-520 spread.

3) If you are short straddle (sell 1 call and 1 put of same strike price) trader, then u can quickly decide your breakeven price for straddle created at different strike price.
500 straddle will fetch u 45+10 = 55 Rs. Giving you breakeven points of 500-55 = 435 and 500+55 = 555.
520 straddle will fetch u 31+16 = 47 Rs. Giving you breakeven points of 520-47 = 473 and 520+47 = 567.
540 straddle will fetch u 20+25 = 45 Rs. Giving you breakeven points of 540-45 = 495 and 540+45 = 585.

So depending on your reading of stocks price range in next few days you can decide which straddle to short. Max profit in short straddle comes when price moves towards the strike price in your
target closing time. You start loosing in straddle only when spot moves out of the breakeven points.

don't worry even if u don't understand what I have written, U can always come back to this later. But power of using this table is enormous, provide.. your foundation is right and you know how to use it..
In my option trading, most of the decision are taken based on this table only. Once I decide the strategy to use, then I use this table to select the strike price.

Happy Trading
you have expalin it wonderfully , after riding this i am you fan you realy have wide range of knowledge in option and aw10 i think just like you have explain short stadel ,will you plz explann other combination in curent market price in nifty. plz it will be such great help from you side to the option beginer like me hope to see other explantion also:clap:

AW10

Hy AW10

Thanks for your very clear explanations about option pricing. It must have been time consuming to write all that stuff. I hope the people recognize the professional value behind it and use it in the right way.

My question to you would be : Why using straddles and why not using ratio spreads when it comes to selling strategies ?

Regards and good trading

DanPickUp
Thanks DanPickUp for kind words.
Regarding your question - I do see advantage in ratio spreads as well where one can collect premium. But I guess, the simplicity of creating straddle (just one strike price), ease in calculating breakeven points, easy to visualise risk graph.. etc are the factors which will favour Straddle compared to Ratio Spread.

But if one is bit more sophisticated spread trader and comfortable with ratio spreads then why not.

I guess, it is individual's comfort with strategy/ tools. I am sure you will agree with me that the best of trading outcome comes when we trade in the zone. And if Ratios are out one's zone then probably they may not make any attempt in trading them.

Just my view. DanPickUp.. Have no valid reasons about them.
Happy Trading.

Hi Aw10,Danpick,smart_trade.Linkon and all senior people

first of all thanks for ur wonderful support to all traders.

here i am working a stragegy for me..

Basically i got the idea from some forum (some of them already discussed here)

Am testing how to make it as a plan and do it as discpline way to earn consitently.

2 days back i initated the trade(Paper trade)

2 days back nifty is 4775
so i choose a call to sell around 200 points in difference from current level same for put also.. like this same thing for every 2 weeks in a month.

sold 4600 call at 215
sold 5000 put at 260

total collecting premiums is 475

Now i want to play Nifty futures as a hedging ..

As my plan go long above 4800 (stoploss 4795)
and short below 4750 (stoploss 4755)

as of now i iniated 4 times trade in niftyfutures (loss 20 points)

no trading from 3 to 3.30..

(Here i need ur advice
can i proceed like this or nifty future as a seperate entity )
if it is seperate means based what levels sir?

here max loss i can incur is 100 points
and a profit am looking is 150 points
risk reward is 1.5 : 1

Time Period is 2 weeks..

for the first week present month options

for the 3rd week position next month options

Am in a correct path?
wat thing i should change in a plan
how to cope up with gap up and gap down
can i do trading in options alone with hedging in options )

My capital for this is 1 lakh
broker : Angel.

can u ppl give ur suggestion and feedback how to make this as a plan for me not only for me it will be helpful for all others.

Expect ur valuable ideas ...

AW10

you have expalin it wonderfully , after riding this i am you fan you realy have wide range of knowledge in option and aw10 i think just like you have explain short stadel ,will you plz explann other combination in curent market price in nifty. plz it will be such great help from you side to the option beginer like me hope to see other explantion also:clap:
Hi Sumit. Thanks for your compliment. Like short straddle, there are many option strategies. And there is lot of good material FREELY available on Net. I have given few resources in first few posts of this thread.

So I don't see any value in reinventing the wheels, hence I have not discussed those strategies here. But if you come across something that interests you, then feel free to bring them here for discussion.

I would rather prefer to discuss the practical side of trading those strategies, rather then repeating what is already available at so many places.

Hope you see my points.

Happy Trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.