Limited Scrutiny Notice

DSM

Comm,

Thanks and welcome. Forums help to share information, insights and experiences of traders for common good. So wherever and whenever this is possible, traders must share.

Again, going back to my experience with the I.T dept., though I was apprehensive as I had not only received a notice, but even a call to be present before the I.T dept the same day' as they had some information about me' (To which I replied that it was not possible due to time and distance) Then I spoke to my CA and he checked the returns filed and gave me some printouts to carry. I was thinking about my approach and just asked myself, what did I have to fear? Other than the hassle, there was nothing. No extra income to disclose and no extra tax to pay. So I decided the best way to go about was to be positive and co-operate. Hence before the appointment, I kept ready all the documents and serial numbered and sorted them for easy retrival, in order that I could provide it to the officers at the same day and at the same time if questioned. So I was ready with not only my response, but with documentary evidence to back it up. During the meeting I was able to submit the documents along with my reply when questioned and I took the time time to understand the officers viewpoint and clear possible doubts. So my meeting with the I.T Officer was more of an interaction and exchange of information rather than Q&A. My take away from the experience was that positive approach along with being prepared with the documents to back your statements goes a long way to quick assessment.

thank you DSM for sharing your experience and observations. these posts help sooth any nervousness that a trader might be feeling after seeing the Notice.

oi trader boi

so here is how my meeting with the IT officer went:

typical govt building.

Entered the cabin and the lady was busy on phone. She asked which AY was the notice for...i said 2015-16. Then her reply was "im busy with 2014-15" ..just submit the documents and leave your contact number. will get back to you later!

get "tapkal"....stamped photocopy of documents submitted.

Then i called my CA and he said that is what was expected. the IT ppl are busy and that it will take couple of months for any update on my issue. this can go until Dec 2017!

gosh! what pace is this?

I had anticipated questions, arguments and some information...but nothing...even before i could open my mouth...i was told to submit docs and that they'd get back to me later...in a few months!

there is a long way to go for the IT dept in this regards.
yeah...agreed.

But never expected this kind of long wait time to get the issues solved.
I once faced AO and ITO for my parents ITR issue when they just got retired.I had very bad experience and they took almost 2 yrs to solve the issue.Thank God it was Salary Income/Pension ITR filling issue,else mera to pura confidence hi zero kar diya hota :mad:

Once I visited AO.He was eating Kharra.(mixture of tobacco and betal nuts).
I said hello Sir,aisa aisa issue hai...
he replied,"ab,abbu,isse...umm...uhhh...daak me daal do.."

meaning,whatever is your concern,submit it with dispatch,we'll see whats the needful.(replied the lady with AO).

I never saw such a low life AO.Kharra-Pan khake khidki se pichkaari maarte rehta hai.
Its not a joke.AO has the lowest IQ in IT Dept.
50% BCom kar ke AO ban jaate hai.And they keep harassing the people.

I had a very terrific experience Sir.I almost scared.

comm4300

so here is how my meeting with the IT officer went:

typical govt building.

Entered the cabin and the lady was busy on phone. She asked which AY was the notice for...i said 2015-16. Then her reply was "im busy with 2014-15" ..just submit the documents and leave your contact number. will get back to you later!

get "tapkal"....stamped photocopy of documents submitted.

Then i called my CA and he said that is what was expected. the IT ppl are busy and that it will take couple of months for any update on my issue. this can go until Dec 2017!

gosh! what pace is this?

I had anticipated questions, arguments and some information...but nothing...even before i could open my mouth...i was told to submit docs and that they'd get back to me later...in a few months!

there is a long way to go for the IT dept in this regards.
Iam yet to receive any upadte on my limited scrutiny notice [for AY 15-16]

does anyone know if these IT officers have any deadline that they have to adhere to?

Iam yet to receive any upadte on my limited scrutiny notice [for AY 15-16]

does anyone know if these IT officers have any deadline that they have to adhere to?
Same with me bro...according to my CA these guys were busy in demonetization cases ... you will hear from them soon in july / august. They have to complete the proceedings by december 2017.

I submitted following documents
1)Cover letter stating my only business is trading in equity derivatives and income derived out of it has been duly disclosed in the income tax return. List of documents being submitted.
2)Computation of total income for the relevant year.
3)Profit / loss statement issued by broker
4)ledger statement issued by broker.
5)Bank statement with explanation for each entry for the relevant year
6)Income tax return filed for the relevant year
Lastly i took his signature on a copy of cover letter 1 as proof that i have visited and submitted documents.
Update:
Even after submitting all these documents i got a further notice under sec 142(1) ..pic attached

And even after submitting reply to this notice i got further queries:

1) Note on the activity carried out by you under futures and options
2)Evidence for deduction claimed under chapter VI

And after submitting the response to the above queries i received call from ITO to visit personally which i did to "settle" the matter which i eventually did. The Irony: I had paid more taxes than due ! I don't know if this aint tax terrorism what else is ?

Attachments

Last edited:
And yes i ll have to go thru this ordeal again next year as well .....as my return has been selected for scrutiny yet again ...despite paying all the taxes due.

Last edited:

suri112000

And yes i ll have to go thru this ordeal again next year as well .....as my return has been selected for scrutiny yet again ...despite paying all the taxes due.. Mera Bharat Mahan !
Donot you have salaried income?

If not, then you are being probed for source of income to trade derivatives.

Last edited:

canikhil

And yes i ll have to go thru this ordeal again next year as well .....as my return has been selected for scrutiny yet again ...despite paying all the taxes due.. Mera Bharat Mahan !
what is the link between payment of taxes and selection for scrutiny...why unnecessarily make states like "mera bharat mahan" sarcastically?

Last edited: