Let's be honest

Hi buddy, which category do you belong?

• Total voters
N

Niks

Hi
I have spent pretty much time surfing on this board and here is an observation abut the types of people we have on this board.

They are categorized into 5 groups in the following:
Category E … 40%
Category D… 40%
Category C… 15%
Category B… 4.98%
Category A… 0.02%

Category E have nothing to do with trading/investing, literally. They may be the guys who heard some story about someone making a billion in stock market and get interested to know what is 'stock market'. Or they could be investors who cashed good from the long bull market. These are the ones to ask the most dumb questions... like how to download metastock or how to short sell.Why have an exchange of ideas if it wont be put into practice? Its quite simply really, they have plenty of free time. But they are not spiteful. Some found happiness that came from the lack of daily stress from the markets. It matters not that the ideas or strategies don’t work now, or didn’t work since the NSE was established. This is their last bastion of interaction. Some keep collecting lots of freebie information- downloadable books, codes, softwares etc. They may be quite helpful to people in self category. If they trade at all... their strategy is essentially buy and hold... oops buy and hope :D So they happily post, and sprinkle a dash of trading strategies in their outreach for verbal warmth.

Category D is another large group and have the most consistency in their trading. The consistency to lose money. They couldn’t pick up 100 Rs and put it in their pocket without losing it. This is also the most fearful lot, for they know the most likely next step they will fall into is group E. Odds are against them in moving up to Group C. With an nervous twitch and a smile, they consider themselves traders never the less. This group is the most susceptible to being bitten by snake oil salesmen, trading fads, and be mesmerized by the internet gurus. They have the largest collection of trading books, cd’s and dvds. They will cling on to their precious tapes and cds as if it had value, a price, displayed in their bookshelves. Like salmon swimming upstream to spawn and getting caught in the jaws of death, so too do these traders in their ill prepared mad quest to be in group A, wanting to bypass groups C and B altogether. Their strategy is most likely derived from their Guru- could be a vendor or just anyone.

Category C the people in this group are at the fork in the road. The few that find themselves here are not making money, but for the most part are no longer losing money either. This group is both the child and parent, mentally speaking. They offer help to people in group D, and may accept help from the groups above them. These traders are no longer susceptible to the snake oil salesman and may have begun disputing the worthiness of established norms in the trading world. They may still seek council in the internet guru or even become a follower, but at a much lower percentage than the people in group D. These traders have deleted lot of ebooks from their PCs. They are also beginning to cancel any monthly subscription service they are losing confidence in. The traders here may have entered the markets at a prime time, and will slip to group D when the waters get choppy. The rare few that arrived in choppy waters and survived may eventually go up to group B. The posters in this group know how hard it is to trade, and know they have to be in group B before moving on to A. These are somewhat disciplined in their trading.

Category B this is the very rare few that arrive at this group. The people in this group are legitimate traders, and report their occupation as such to the tax department. They are making money, mostly as supplemental income with the spouse also having to work, but on rare instances, may be the sole bread winner. Traders in this group have long since stopped falling for any market scam or guru. These are the alpha males. Although modest here, outside the trading community at social gatherings they will make sure that others know what they do for a living. These traders also delight in explaining to friends and neighbors that they make their living behind a computer, extracting money from the markets. These traders may offer guidance to traders on groups C and D, but mostly in a cryptic and vague manner. They speak in general terms, with a slight aura of fog thrown in. They leave it up to the lesser traders to decode it. It was a long and hard journey, they will not just give it away. Traders in this group are unique in a certain way. The most talented few may one day excel to group A, but the rest may slip back into group C. However, they don’t necessarily remain there. A fair percentage may pull themselves back up to group B. If however they failed to adept and are unable to get themselves back up, they become what is known as an internet guru. They will have their own web site and may even have a nightly newsletter or trading room. The People in group D just love to give these people their money. Being that these traders are still alpha males, they will adore the admiration coming from the people in group D and even a few in group C. If they have a gift for gab, and are a programmer or know one, they may evolve into a snake oil salesmen.

Category A this is it, the mythical trader. They are reclusive for the most part but a handful may help others in the trading community. The ones that don’t are just too preoccupied to spend time doing anything but making money. Trading is a religion to this group. These traders on occasion may actually give away strategies that are no longer working for them, but to everyone else its cutting edge. Sometimes they may give actual pertinent information, but they know in their hearts that the receiver of that information does not possess the skill or mindset to make any use of it. Or the ones who are less known on the board are likely to have their 5 posts go unnoticed. Morse code. No one is impervious to the market, if a trader from this group slips off to a lower group, he/she has the ability to pull themselves back up. These traders have their own marketing team. They will amass a sophisticated machine selling everything from news letters to speaking appearances. They may easily make a nice living of this for several years with out having to make one single trade. As rarely seen as they were when trading, they become the opposite when they no longer trade.

Some may disagree about the % allotted to each category, but hey, this is the chit chat section :D

regards
Nikhil.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Niks

Methinks makes to the category C since in 1.5 years of my trading somehow kept away from loosing.
Recently made my first investment trade and somehow escaped from big losses :D. Bought DLF at 275 few weeks backs... saw it slip down to 160 and lost my sleep for good... booked quickly when it surfaced to 280. Trade was initiated on some fundamentals I know but escaped out due to my technical knowledge.

C

Czar

Sir ?? I see only you and me here, was some sir here too :D drop the sirs friend too heavy...

Though like I was saying there are people who are a different breed, They can trade most accurately, but they prefer adventure...

NOMINDTR

I wonder the poll I see now is 100% in category C.:confused:

Still, I have voted right. I am in the mid of road crossing (thanks my road has terrible traffic but no traffic jams)

I don't look back to get back. I keep pushing myself little by little towards the direction.

I remember somewhere I stumbled "Perfection is an illusion no one can reach where Excellence is not"

Happy(not safe :)) Road Crossing

coolboy007

Me too in Group C. The case with me is that everythign opposite happened to me. People lose money in the beginning but now am trained and traded futures and options extensively . ade good money in last 2 months but i think nearly my 50% gains were washed off in NOV alone. Maybe became overconfident.

It seems if i dont get things right i may soon fall in group D.:D

rkkarnani

In whcih category do you put a person who trades regularly (read: full time), earns handsomely and does all this consistently..............

And

has no hesitation in teaching , revealing, sharing his methodology in an open Forum. Answers all questions and even trivial ones too at most unGodly hours and does this without expecting any monetary or other returns of any kind!!!

Well such a person cannot be a normal human :
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

We on Traderji call him : Saint

N

Niks

Though like I was saying there are people who are a different breed, They can trade most accurately, but they prefer adventure...
If you've filed taxes for your income from trading for atleast two financial years, and this year so far haven't taken huge losses, you make to the category B :)