ISP compliance notice

Square

One of my colleague has received the below mail from his ISP for his home connection. He does not trade at all. However, since the below notice from his ISP mentions about Tele Trading, I got curious as to whether this applies to people trading the stock markets. Maybe this may apply to traders who are full time and their main business is trading. And maybe this may not apply to part time traders like us who have main source of income as salary. Members who are aware of the regulations may comment for benefit of all.

With reference to Internet Services provided to you vide your Service ID xxxx, while commencing usage of our services, you had confirmed that you are NOT using Internet Services provided by ZZZ for any of the following activities: BPO, KPO, Tele-education, Tele-Trading, Telemedicine, Tele-Banking, E-Publishing centre, Medical Transcription Services, Network Operating Centre's, Vehicle tracking system, Billing Service centre, E-Commerce, Financial Services Centre.

In case there is any change in the usage of Internet Service provided by ZZZ vide above Service ID and/or you are using Internet services provided by ZZZ for any of the above listed activities, you are required to provide details of such usage and submit a copy of registration under Other Service Provider category issued by Department of Telecom (DOT) . For more details on OSP and its registration process please visit http: http://dotosp.gov.in.

No action is required by you If you are using Internet Services provided by ZZZ for Internet Browsing , upload & Download files on internet , e-mail access or using Mobile Apps .

ocil

It's standard format for every ISP. No action required. We are receiving this letter from our ISP every 6 months. But this is applicable to business class users not for home users. it GOVT of India compliance requirement. Also sometimes they will ask for your office network diagram.

One of my colleague has received the below mail from his ISP for his home connection. He does not trade at all. However, since the below notice from his ISP mentions about Tele Trading, I got curious as to whether this applies to people trading the stock markets. Maybe this may apply to traders who are full time and their main business is trading. And maybe this may not apply to part time traders like us who have main source of income as salary. Members who are aware of the regulations may comment for benefit of all.

With reference to Internet Services provided to you vide your Service ID xxxx, while commencing usage of our services, you had confirmed that you are NOT using Internet Services provided by ZZZ for any of the following activities: BPO, KPO, Tele-education, Tele-Trading, Telemedicine, Tele-Banking, E-Publishing centre, Medical Transcription Services, Network Operating Centre's, Vehicle tracking system, Billing Service centre, E-Commerce, Financial Services Centre.

In case there is any change in the usage of Internet Service provided by ZZZ vide above Service ID and/or you are using Internet services provided by ZZZ for any of the above listed activities, you are required to provide details of such usage and submit a copy of registration under Other Service Provider category issued by Department of Telecom (DOT) . For more details on OSP and its registration process please visit http: http://dotosp.gov.in.

No action is required by you If you are using Internet Services provided by ZZZ for Internet Browsing , upload & Download files on internet , e-mail access or using Mobile Apps .

Square

It's standard format for every ISP. No action required. We are receiving this letter from our ISP every 6 months. But this is applicable to business class users not for home users. it GOVT of India compliance requirement. Also sometimes they will ask for your office network diagram.
Thanks for your view.

Surprisingly he received this notice on email even for his internet connection at home. Also to add to you view, if this is for business class users than traders trading full time from home will also fall in this category. Also income from stock trading is classified as Business Income. So would it be mandatory for full time traders to adhere to such notice or just ignore it. The problem is tomorrow some govt agency should not come and say that you were doing trading business from home and have not registered with us. As such the notice clearly mentions tele-trading. i.e. trading through internet. Trading ingeneral is anything you buy and sell for commercial gains. So stock trading will also come under this category, since we are buying and selling stocks, derivatives etc for commercial gains.

Also the last line of the notice clearly mentions what is allowed.

travi

This is one of those False positives which can safely be ignored. [If user is genuinely not indulging in those mentioned activities]

AFAIK, NSE/BSE/MCX trading doesn't require OSP license even on 10mbps leased line let alone normal Retail Broadband/Wireless Broadband/Mobile internet etc

The data monitored by ISP systems would appear as follows:

1. Internet Traffic is limited to few IP's
Eg. In case of NSE/BSE Data vendor and Trading Terminal

2. The IP's themselves don't lookup in Domains.
Eg. Most s/w directly use IP's to communicate instead of domain names which resolve to IP's. This is technically faster.

3. Customer may not be surfing the www like most other broadband users,
and hence, doesn't match the profile of an avg. broadband joe.

4. Traffic communication is on non-std ports, unlike port 80 for http etc.

5. The type of traffic intercepted doesn't match audio/video streaming, torrents, other https type etc.
If its udp, their even more suspicious.

Many such scenarios can cause that type of notice,
else ISP will send a specific T&C violation notice.

Last edited:

Square

Thanks Travi.

So you mean that some monitoring happens at ISP end and if the profile doesn't match the average joe, then they would shoot a notice? Hmmm

But in this case my colleague is not in any other business or is trading stocks. He seems like a average user. I will need to probe further with him if he or someone else in his family is doing something different on the internet than what we normal people do.

I have two connections, one wired bb and the other recently added jio wifi, but I haven't got any such notices ever since years of usage. So is it fair to assume that such notices are sent only to ones who get caught in their caution list basis some criteria they have.

travi

My YOUBB didn show any such terms and conditions mentioned by you .:confused:

Btw, may be he should start watching you tube videos.:D
These ISPs have detailed T&C on their website, the Application form is light weight :D
I've seen many such issues, earlier, bandwidth and Data used to be very limited and wouldn't be viable but in last few years 50mbps and 500GB isn't surprising in most metros and ppl resort to funny things :D

My friend was hosting all his client websites from a home PC on such retail BB and got blocked once :lol::lol::lol:
DoT is also cracking down on torrents/piracy etc which seem to form a bulk of the traffic.

Square

Most of his home internet was used to browse matrimonial sites since last 3 - 4 months. His parents used it during the day time for this purpose. No other major usage of youtube etc from home.