Is only Technical Analysis enough for commodity trading

I am new to commodities and was wondering whether technical analysis is enough for commodity trading or not? If not, what are the other factors I need to consider while trading in commodities?
For example:- If I want to trade in CRUDEOILM and my technical setup is giving me a long/short signal, should I lookup to any other data (for example, a currency pair like CAD/USD having strong correlation with oil) for confirmation? Or is just technical analysis of CRUDEOILM enough?

Last edited:

mohan.sic

I am new to commodities and was wondering whether technical analysis is enough for commodity trading or not? If not, what are the other factors I need to consider while trading in commodities?
For example:- If I want to trade in CRUDEOILM and my technical setup is giving me a long/short signal, should I lookup to any other data (for example, a currency pair like CAD/USD having strong correlation with oil) for confirmation? Or is just technical analysis of CRUDEOILM enough?

Is the price in crude determined by supply/demand in MCX market OR the price discovery happens at some international exchange and prices at mcx follow those movements. How it works ?

If crude in our mcx market just follows and closely correlated with international prices, How effectively TA works on our charts ? In fact, is it logical to follow TA on our charts when the prices here are simply derived by other markets.

My question is not just on crude. I have same confusion for all other commodities and metals which are traded in other international markets.

It depends upon whether you are trading intraday or positional. for intraday you can prepare a setup on mcx and closely follow usd/inr as it highly effects mcx prices. As i am a positional trader, i purely follow nymex charts and it gives good results. Like crude started showing long signal on nymex on 29/12/2018 whereas on mcx it showed long on 3/1/2019. on nymex crude is now also positive but in between mcx crude showed so many false sell.

mohan.sic

Thank you vishal for clarifying.

yes, please explain on pure intraday perspective. I follow a volume based pattern for day trading in nifty which has around 65 to 70 percent success overall. But when I tried applying same on copper, its not good, not in sense of profit/loss in trades, but I felt price is not really reacting to volume patterns. There is a gap somewhere. And I started assuming that TA ( especially if based on volumes ) is illogical to follow on mcx instruments as these prices are based on instruments from other markets like nymex. I understand the point of exchange rate influence & yes they impact price here. But for purpose of understanding if we assume that there is no change in USDINR, then the prices of mcx should be broadly a replica Nymex..Right ?

Thank you vishal for clarifying.

yes, please explain on pure intraday perspective. I follow a volume based pattern for day trading in nifty which has around 65 to 70 percent success overall. But when I tried applying same on copper, its not good, not in sense of profit/loss in trades, but I felt price is not really reacting to volume patterns. There is a gap somewhere. And I started assuming that TA ( especially if based on volumes ) is illogical to follow on mcx instruments as these prices are based on instruments from other markets like nymex. I understand the point of exchange rate influence & yes they impact price here. But for purpose of understanding if we assume that there is no change in USDINR, then the prices of mcx should be broadly a replica Nymex..Right ?
Exactly my thoughts.

@mohan.sic Exactly nymex and mcx follows same pattern. but i stopped trading in mcx on intraday basis, as i gained no success in intraday whatever strategy i apply. currently i use swing trading in nifty, crude, copper, eur/inr & gbp/inr. TA is more helpful in long term trade, for intraday you should try price action trading and avoid trading on US trading holidays.

I am testing a new price action strategy on crude for intraday, if i gain above 60% success ratio, i'll post it here in the forum.

mohan.sic

Vishal,

So its better to look at nymex charts as they lead the movement ?
But Eod even that may not work at intraday frame as usdinr, and other local factors playin creating negative correlations between movements. Am I right to some extent ?