Is " Buy and Hold " Investing Dead ?

Einstein

No Buy and Hold is not dead, simple because few over priced scrips refused to go up doesn't mean investing is dead, hate to do this again but if you've time go through my thread.

http://www.traderji.com/fundamental...g-traders-investors-faith-into-investing.html

If you have any question just ask me rather then criticizing. peace!!

edit

1)Is "Buy and Hold" investing really dead?
Ofcourse not!!

2)Does the retail investor now have to think like a swing trader?
New investors surely do, but swing investing is also trading right? no wonder these so called investors loose money without doing proper homework, Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked.

3)How to identify weakness in the companies,book profits/losses and exit at the right time?
Mr. G had a wonderful thread few months ago about valuations and investors physiology. you'll find your answer there.

4)For a long term investor what should be the frequency of portfolio review and portfolio churning?
I don't look at my portfolio every day, but I do keep eye on quarterly report and make sure that the company is doing as I expected it to do.

Last edited:

toughard

Ironically this question is hypothetical...

Buffet said "market is designed to move money from speculators to investors" long back but now the time is changed due to technology...constantly money has been taken out the system...
I have seen some of the scalpers doing better than invested...
PASSIVE involvement in market by default BUY AND HOLD and vice versa...
NOW its a time for LONG AND SHORT CONCEPT...

are we looking for RELATIVE RETURN OR ABSOLUTE ONE IS THE QUESTION????

3 points here is

1. Investing or trading ONE HAS TO BE RIGHT
2. while Trading you do more ATTEMPTS but INVESTING is with less number of ATTEMPTS
3. MM is must in trading as well as DIVERSIFICATION in investing

I am in favor of LONG AND SHORT CONCEPT... and i think majority of funds...

Rest is that buy and hold is on HOLD for now as per me:):thumb:

Vertigo_1985

Is Buy and Hold Investing dead???

I read an article in the Times of India today 10th May 2014.
My reasoning says, is if these are really fundamentally solid companies,buy and hold in them should have profited in the long run.

So the questions which are really bothering me are as follows,

1)Is "Buy and Hold" investing really dead?
2)Does the retail investor now have to think like a swing trader?
3)How to identify weakness in the companies,book profits/losses and exit at the right time?
4)For a long term investor what should be the frequency of portfolio review and portfolio churning?

Any suggestions/advice/help from seniors appreciated.
you are looking at very short time frame, buy and hold will still work good if we have a bull market.

toughard

SL is a taboo word for them, they only think the price will go up,even if the company is no more :D

:thumb:"risk is nothing but the permanent loss of capital" buffet

If one keeps an eye on company results every quarter and see growth in earnings,management quality,dividend distribution,leadership position...one can make good investments for 1-2 years.

Fundamentals change with time. Many of previous bluechips are laggards today and few new winners will emerge in future. So we have to keep constant watch on the performance of companies in which we invest.

Smart_trade

praveen taneja

If one keeps an eye on company results every quarter and see growth in earnings,management quality,dividend distribution,leadership position...one can make good investments for 1-2 years.

Fundamentals change with time. Many of previous bluechips are laggards today and few new winners will emerge in future. So we have to keep constant watch on the performance of companies in which we invest.

Smart_trade
ST bro can we have some more clarification on this in finding these companies:confused::confused::confused::confused: