Is anyone making money in sharemarket ?

rkripal

You know, we have enough information on Traderji to turn you to a profitable trader.
Correctly said MJ,

Most of the stuff one needs to know to be a profitable trader is available all over internet. We need to be willing to work hard. going through a few days training even with best of the traders can not make one profitable. watch 'million dollar traders'. you will learn that training even from best of fund managers cant make you a good profitable trader. After all its traders brain and his psyche that will keep the trader in the market or kick out.

kripal:thumb:

musicjunkie

I coudn't agree more RK.
The best and all the information you need is available for free on the internet. Your challenge lies to filter out the best of that information and trade it.

Yes the traders brain, which is why people who are over-trading (although many will not know they are over-trading) should find a hobby and do that when there are no trade signals in the market.

Unnecessary "gut feel" trades are the most overrated, expensive ideas people talk about.
Spend more time talking about some quantitative data.

MJ-

rkripal

I coudn't agree more RK.
The best and all the information you need is available for free on the internet. Your challenge lies to filter out the best of that information and trade it.
There are many people on various boards helping people to filter out those info without any charge.

Yes the traders brain, which is why people who are over-trading (although many will not know they are over-trading) should find a hobby and do that when there are no trade signals in the market.
Any novice will do over trading without experience. With training you cant give one experience. and even best of traders with experience do make mistakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trading_losses

The best solution to this problem is to be fully prepared before you come into the world of trading.

1. Method
2. Time period (higher time frames is better for new people)
3. Backtest.
4. Money Management.
6. Simplicity. (the most important in my opinion).

One should work on above before making first trade. No matter how long it takes. No need to jump quickly. A doctor spends lots of time and money before he takes surgical instruments in his hands before operating on a living person. :D

I would still recommend ' million dollar trader' its available on youtube.

kripal:thumb:

Mr.G

Dear frnd, there is nothing like consistant money in any kind of bussiness. Especially in trading its just a ratio of winning trade and loosing trade. No one can predict the future. if year 2013 made a 200% growth in ur fund but next year you may lose the entire profit you made with the same strategy.
I am a dividend growth oriented, I keep losses on paper not in my pocket. I see my stocks as my little money printing machines. And if the price falls further I just buy more as I am getting those machines for even cheaper. I never making an amazingly high amount of money but each year I keep my return above 20% my goals are generational and I don't mean to use the principal I am accumulating. It is also not as simple as I just described but in a nutshell that is my approach. Imagine that your money generating machine that gives more cash every year as dividend grows plus that dividend is compounded plus the machine also increase in value!! Reading this must have put a smile to your face.

jamit_05

I am a dividend growth oriented, I keep losses on paper not in my pocket. I see my stocks as my little money printing machines. And if the price falls further I just buy more as I am getting those machines for even cheaper. I never making an amazingly high amount of money but each year I keep my return above 20% my goals are generational and I don't mean to use the principal I am accumulating. It is also not as simple as I just described but in a nutshell that is my approach. Imagine that your money generating machine that gives more cash every year as dividend grows plus that dividend is compounded plus the machine also increase in value!! Reading this must have put a smile to your face.
So your first priority is Dividend Giving Stocks. That is shrewd because that automatically makes sure that the company is sound... for the most part. :)

Do you have a diversified portfolio? Or is it in specific sectors. I ask because some sectors have madly crashed in recent times. Hence, making is difficult to break-even, let alone gaining 20%.

Last edited:

jamit_05

You know, we have enough information on Traderji to turn you to a profitable trader.
Many of the old threads contain some great info. I have my own take on this but briefly I'd say that you will ultimately have to find your niche.
Your timeframe ,number of trades style of trading all affect your hit rate, r:r ratio and ofcourse your method itself.
For example i'm uncomfortable trading more than two stocks.
I'm also uncomfortable taking a trade everyday, I like to take a fewer number of trades.

I guess we all find different ways.

MJ-
What you say does not need further affirmation. You are a senior and successful trader and that fact is surely known by older members.

I would like to add a bit to the above:

Two major hurdles a trader faces after accomplishing what MJ typed out.

1) Taking ALL SLs and taking ALL entries.

2) Boom and Bust Cycle.

Both these hurdles require growth in two very different directions. And hence are responsible for ousting the maximum number of aspirants.

I like to read and learn about these things so talking comes naturally :)

Mr.G

So your first priority is Dividend Giving Stocks. That is shrewd because that automatically makes sure that the company is sound... for the most part. :)

Do you have a diversified portfolio? Or is it in specific sectors. I ask because some sectors have madly crashed in recent times. Hence, making is difficult to break-even, let alone gaining 20%.
I can't say I am as diversified as most fund managers because I believe that I should put my money in only my best ideas. Yes my mid caps did hit 52wk lows in the past time and I was getting huge boost in yields. I liked them at 200 but loved them at 120. Thanx to the crash my over all yeilds have increased even more. And I never book loss in fundamentally strong stocks. Now that I have bought at lows when the market will increase and I will get more dividend income that will automatically increase my return.

Mr.G

I can't say I am as diversified as most fund managers because I believe that I should put my money in only my best ideas. Yes my mid caps did hit 52wk lows in the past time and I was getting huge boost in yields. I liked them at 200 but loved them at 120. Thanx to the crash my over all yeilds have increased even more. And I never book loss in fundamentally strong stocks. Now that I have bought at lows when the market will increase and I will get more dividend income that will automatically increase my return.
My priority is not dividend giver, but dividend grower.Eg ONGC

jamit_05

I do not understand the "I buy more" concept.

I mean, lets say one has a total cash of Rs.50L
Then he won't use the entire cash at one go... probably only 30%. If the price comes lower he will buy more.... But what if... price head for the sky... and do not come down at all... then rest of the cash sits ideal... bringing down the Rate of return.

jamit_05

My priority is not dividend giver, but dividend grower.Eg ONGC
That is a very interesting concept... and unique approach. Most people want 20% and buy "growth stocks" but fail... but this concept of dividends sounds nice... 3 to 6% tax free money each year... plus price gain from fundamentally strong Cos... which definitely comes with the passing time.