Investment banker - can technical analyst eligible?

I would like to know, whether having sound technical analysis in stock market or/and Forex market can peruse career in investment banker? if yes then pl. explain what are the general criteria in this field they expect.
Request to pl. do the needful in this regards.

I would like to know, whether having sound technical analysis in stock market or/and Forex market can peruse career in investment banker? if yes then pl. explain what are the general criteria in this field they expect.
Yes sure you can become a trader or go to a buy side firm

No.. and one big reason is that there's an abundance of technical analysts out there. Its a highly abused vocation(if at all its a vocation!!)..har gali mein chaar hain. So having TA in ur overall armoury may be good, but investment banks need a formal finance MBA or some finance postgrad degree.

A rather straigtforward opinion:
TA has made a lot of people to believe that they have now mastered A-Z of trading and they are now of a great value to finance firms. Total rubbish!! American authors have made a fortune selling books on TA and so have the trading trainers/coaches. The fact is that TA is as rubbish as garbage and is a way to fool retail public into generating trading commissions, buying books and attending paid seminars/classes. People are made to believe that using something as simple and easy to understand as TA could make them fortunes. Its a way for sum smart people to profit from human greedy nature!!

So my suggestion is.. go for a formal finance degree..work hard..learn fundamental analysis..factors that drive asset prices..macro and microeconomic analysis..and so on and so forth.

Good luck!

So,

No.. and one big reason is that there's an abundance of technical analysts out there. Its a highly abused vocation(if at all its a vocation!!)..har gali mein chaar hain. So having TA in ur overall armoury may be good, but investment banks need a formal finance MBA or some finance postgrad degree.

A rather straigtforward opinion:
TA has made a lot of people to believe that they have now mastered A-Z of trading and they are now of a great value to finance firms. Total rubbish!! American authors have made a fortune selling books on TA and so have the trading trainers/coaches. The fact is that TA is as rubbish as garbage and is a way to fool retail public into generating trading commissions, buying books and attending paid seminars/classes. People are made to believe that using something as simple and easy to understand as TA could make them fortunes. Its a way for sum smart people to profit from human greedy nature!!

So my suggestion is.. go for a formal finance degree..work hard..learn fundamental analysis..factors that drive asset prices..macro and microeconomic analysis..and so on and so forth.

Good luck!

So,
Dude I am a MBA and I am an equity research analyst at a leading i-bank,
so dont give me this **** that fundamental analysis is best
Poorii finance industry chutiaa banae ka dhandha hai
Sab tukka martein hain bas gyaan dena or presentation honi chaaye

gr8 yaar u r an equity analyst!! I have always wanted to meet one. i really wondered what applications and research sources u use at institutions? bloomberg or datastream or what..?? wud be gr8 if u cud enlighten me abt this..

And i personally value FA highly...so maybe went overboard in criticizing TA..but my overall reply was to shivashimoga who wanted to get into some i-bank using just TA knowledge(??).. and i did mention that having TA in overall armoury may be good, but i-banks need a formal finance MBA or finance postgrad degree..even you will approve of it, right??

Taurus1

The fact is that TA is as rubbish as garbage and is a way to fool retail public into generating trading commissions, buying books and attending paid seminars/classes. People are made to believe that using something as simple and easy to understand as TA could make them fortunes. Its a way for sum smart people to profit from human greedy nature!!
Agreed.
FA says where price should be, never when, which is it's major flaw. The degree will help in getting a job in India, but not to make money.
I have met many wealth managers from different companies with impressive academic records, who trap their clients money in wrong stocks. :(

Hats off to jainer for his honest statement on industry standards. :thumb:
Dude I am a MBA and I am an equity research analyst at a leading i-bank,
so dont give me this **** that fundamental analysis is best
Poorii finance industry chutiaa banae ka dhandha hai
In the US, track record is all important, which is absolutely correct. :cool:
Personally, I couldn't care less if someone is 4th Standard pass as long as he makes money for me. :D

DanPickUp

The degree will help any where to get a job in the business. But as told by Taurus: The degree is no guarantee that you ever will make money in the business.

I also second Jain.er view, that fundamental knowledge is not the only key to successful trading. I know Mark Faber and his way of analyzing is mostly built on fundamentals. Looking at his newsletter, you always will see TA, what ever he explains. So, TA is part of success and I for example build up my trading decision mostly on TA.

Finally understanding of strategies and risk management are more important, but as many so called high pros not even have any idea about that, do not be surprised to find many which are not making any money in the long run for there clients.

Have worked with share fond managers which made in one year over 60% profit in there fund and lost it in a few months. Why? Not having any idea about strategies and risk management. We talk here about people which worked for big banks in Switzerland.

Yes...degree or a formal education is no guarante that one will make money in stock. But u can NEVER make good money unless u have learnt FA nd finance. Thats a guarantee.

Somebody said he does not care if a 4th class pass makes him money...the fact is that naa aajtak kisi 4th class wale ne trading mein paisa kamaya aur naa kabhi kamayega. Yeh sab bas bolne mein achcha lagta hai...trading requires both academic well as street smart skills, to say the least. All those who think anything less wud suffice will die poor.

Now as far as people in industry go...there r good bad and ugly professionals in all industries..switzerland or india. Since speculation is a tough job, here the professional failure rate is higher. But if these professionals did not have a formal finance education, they wud make worst managers if they r bad now.

As far as equity research goes, in my trading style its required in a overall decision making framework and which also looks at several other things. Equity research basically looks at microeconomic research...whereas speculators have a holistic view to predict price action. Both need each other badly, but both are completely different specialized fields.

So these r my views on the topics above. Enjoy!!

Yes...degree or a formal education is no guarante that one will make money in stock. But u can NEVER make good money unless u have learnt FA nd finance. Thats a guarantee.

Somebody said he does not care if a 4th class pass makes him money...the fact is that naa aajtak kisi 4th class wale ne trading mein paisa kamaya aur naa kabhi kamayega. Yeh sab bas bolne mein achcha lagta hai...trading requires both academic well as street smart skills, to say the least. All those who think anything less wud suffice will die poor.

Now as far as people in industry go...there r good bad and ugly professionals in all industries..switzerland or india. Since speculation is a tough job, here the professional failure rate is higher. But if these professionals did not have a formal finance education, they wud make worst managers if they r bad now.

As far as equity research goes, in my trading style its required in a overall decision making framework and which also looks at several other things. Equity research basically looks at microeconomic research...whereas speculators have a holistic view to predict price action. Both need each other badly, but both are completely different specialized fields.

So these r my views on the topics above. Enjoy!!

hey man !
their are many technical analyst there who r making consistent money,
are they MBA ? NO.
in short term trading u dont need fundamental analysis ..

"But u can NEVER make good money unless u have learnt FA nd finance. Thats a guarantee. "
this is a totally wrong statement
even in this forum u can find ppl using TA n making money....like saint n few others

"TA se paisa kamaya jaa sakta hai"!!

Dil ko behlaane ke liye o retail trader yeh khayal achcha hai!!