Investment advice

MF are a good alternate for those who cannot spare that much time to scren stocks or debt to chose from the avalanche of offer. Given the current market condition, debt Funds are a good bet for 1-2 years and equity Funds are good for 3-5 years. You may chose a combination of both if volatility rattles you. if you are steadfast and willing the buck the trend in the next couple of years then Equity Funds are best. As it is always, start with small amount say 20-25% of what you intend to invest and build your portfolio gradually in the next 6 months.
rgds,
Balaji

poortrader

I have say Rs X (a large sum say 1 Cr) that I would not need this amount for next 10 years at least. My objective is to beat the bank rate while preserving the capital.

What 5 funds would you recommend for lump sum investment with 10 year horizon?
1) Strategy1: Invest in Liquid Funds and through STP do a SIP into large cap funds like ICICI Focused Bluechip, UTI Opportunities, Quantum Long Term, etc

2) Or invest by SIP in Nifty BEES (index fund) so no under-performance vis a vis Index.

You first have to decide which way you want to go.
You can invest in one type like mutual funds (as per your query) or you can spread across multiple asset classes like, direct equities, mutual funds, property etc.

Decide and post.