Investing Vs Trading

Hi,

i have been a member of this forum for some time and i have a few suggestions i thought i should voice.

This forum no doubt has been churning some excellent information for traders with advices from 'punters' in this field :) .Unfortunately i dont see much discussion on medium and long term investing of shares. Suggestions, buy and sell prices etc discussed here mainly cater to day traders .
Taderji hum log ko be advice dejiye na.
Can we have a thread for investors also? or probably have more discussions catering to us as the info applicable for day traders are not applicable for us!

any one to back me up??

Traderji

Super Moderator
What's the difference between a trader(trading) and an investor(Investing)?

A trader holds securities for a short period of time.

An investor holds securities for a long time.

Okay, what's the difference between these holding periods?

A short holding period is anywhere from one minute to one year.

A long holding period is anywhere from one year to forever, depending on who you ask.

Actually, the dividing line between a trader and investor isn't fixed (except for purposes of taxation).

Traders pay taxes, investors do not pay any taxes! (No taxes or long term capital gains tax on holding over one year).

I can however have a seperate Catagory for Investors where they can discuss value investing and more in this same forum as it will be easier to manage and more cost effective.

Just give me the catagory heads and sub-heads to start with.

sh50

I think this is a good suggestion. There is a tilt in this formum towards trading which is as the name suggests but investments should be given their due importance. I had made this suggestion long before but forgot to add the subcategories. It is a good thing that this gentleman has done so. One can also add "Dividend yeild", " Investment personalities" , "Major goofups or bankruptcies" etc as categories.

Traderji

Super Moderator
investock said:
Traderji,
How about: INVESTING ON FUNDAMENTALS
Subcategories: VALUE, GROWTH,TURNAROUND
sh50 said:
I think this is a good suggestion. There is a tilt in this formum towards trading which is as the name suggests but investments should be given their due importance. I had made this suggestion long before but forgot to add the subcategories. It is a good thing that this gentleman has done so. One can also add "Dividend yeild", " Investment personalities" , "Major goofups or bankruptcies" etc as categories.
Excellent Suggestion!

Ok So I will have a seperate forum on Fundamental Analysis!

Under that I will need 3-4 broad catagories like:

Fudamental Analysis Methods..., etc, etc

I would like more feedback on the catagories.

Also would any of you be willing to monitor this forum as a moderator??

Traderji said:
Excellent Suggestion!

Ok So I will have a seperate forum on Fundamental Analysis!

Under that I will need 3-4 broad catagories like:

Fudamental Analysis Methods..., etc, etc

I would like more feedback on the catagories.

Also would any of you be willing to monitor this forum as a moderator??
Wonderful guys! Traderji your initiatives are too good to describe in words. I was looking for such thread for a long time. Please continue this thread actively.

Thanks,
nkpanjiyar

Wow that was quick!
Thank you traderji.This is exactly what i was having in mind..
For categories how about some which cover these subjects.

General stock talk - which stock is hot which is not!

SECTORS - where we can discuss the performance of stocks based on a sector.

Analysis methods - discuss ways and means to analyse stocks having medium to long term holding in mind.

sudoku1

What's the difference between a trader(trading) and an investor(Investing)?

A trader holds securities for a short period of time.

An investor holds securities for a long time.

Okay, what's the difference between these holding periods?

A short holding period is anywhere from one minute to one year.

A long holding period is anywhere from one year to forever, depending on who you ask.

Actually, the dividing line between a trader and investor isn't fixed (except for purposes of taxation).

Traders pay taxes, investors do not pay any taxes! (No taxes or long term capital gains tax on holding over one year).
the thin line:)

NOMINDTR

Hi,

This forum no doubt has been churning some excellent information for traders with advices from 'punters' in this field :)
Do you think that would be very different from a punter's job? I would be happy if so. :)