Invest today and forget it for 25 years

Hi all

I am new in this forum and I believe in "buy and forget" approach.
i know there are pros and cons of this approach but i like to follow this approach.

Would you please share/advice 3 shares you believe that you buy today and forget for at least 25 years and you are still confident that after 25 years later, these shares will make your fortune!!!

I believe it is not easy to recommend only 3 shares that you believe will continuously progress for next 25 years.

AT the moment i believe the following three shares can be held

Larsen & Toubro
Tata Motors
TCS

I believe the above mentioned companies have massive potential to grow ( even though they are already big )

Please share your views and recommend/advice 3 shares that you believe are good bet for next 25 years

Thanks in advance!!

Hi all

I am new in this forum and I believe in "buy and forget" approach.
i know there are pros and cons of this approach but i like to follow this approach.

Would you please share/advice 3 shares you believe that you buy today and forget for at least 25 years and you are still confident that after 25 years later, these shares will make your fortune!!!

I believe it is not easy to recommend only 3 shares that you believe will continuously progress for next 25 years.

AT the moment i believe the following three shares can be held

Larsen & Toubro
Tata Motors
TCS

I believe the above mentioned companies have massive potential to grow ( even though they are already big )

Please share your views and recommend/advice 3 shares that you believe are good bet for next 25 years

Thanks in advance!!
history has shown that only an outlier has potential to grow to make it a fortune.
so being correctly able to identify an outlier which will become a future tcs or infy or any other good company also depends on luck . and its a matter of chance.

hindsight bias may also come .

also investing on such big names as u have quoted is not going to give exponential returns. ( my thoughts any one may disagree)

my advise is that anyone naive in investing and new to this world shud invest only thru sip and thru an indexed fund to make reasonable return.

regards

Thanks for your advice..

but i have seen some investments in history which made fortunes for the investors who held the shares for around 20 years..
for example infosys, wipro..

such companies not only grown significantly since their inception but provided benefits to shareholders by declaring bonuses and splited shares
and so it benefited the investors who held the shares for longer time...
kind of compounding returns in shares...

i dont know if it makes sense!!
i am finding that article and i will post it soon...

Thanks heaps for sharing your views on the subject!!

laotze

Thanks for your advice..

but i have seen some investments in history which made fortunes for the investors who held the shares for around 20 years..
for example infosys, wipro..

such companies not only grown significantly since their inception but provided benefits to shareholders by declaring bonuses and splited shares
and so it benefited the investors who held the shares for longer time...
kind of compounding returns in shares...

i dont know if it makes sense!!
i am finding that article and i will post it soon...

Thanks heaps for sharing your views on the subject!!
You are right...

In 1988 to 1991, majority of investors might have preferred Reliance / Tata's and Drreddy...etc....not much on Wipro or Infosys on those days. (Wipro / Infy/ Money multilplied because,these companies are very liberal and investor friendly, shared the profits to investors via Bonus/dividend/split....).

Same way, now, you are looking at bluechips LT / SBIN...etc...not other sectors...because we are conservative (including me).

Like wipro after 10 years, following companies may perform better than old bluechips....

Lupin / Bata India / Motherson Sumi ...etc....etc...who knows, shall we bet on these companies...i doubt...

Thanks heaps laotze

I agree its not easy to pick such shares and that is why i said in my original post that its not easy to pick 3 shares but its worth checking the views of others.

i guess one way to predict such companies if we know a particular company has lots of space to grow ( deeper penetration in a same business segments or in different geographical business segments) for example i believe that Tata Motors has that potential to capture bigger market share than it has at the moment.

also i found the similar link which was the base of this post.
Please check

http://personalplanners.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/how-rs-10000-became-rs-455-crores-in-30-years/

Please participate and share your views!!!

Cheers

jamit_05

Each time I have this discussion someones says... "oh only if I had held Infy since 1985!". This way of reverse engineering the process of investment makes a mirage. The very fact that we are referring to Infy is because it is now successful, but back then, in 1985, when the investor was at the "right edge of the chart" must not have been as confident.

Markets look uber-beautiful in retrospect and its right-edge is sharp as hell.

Similarly, as of now, no one can say for sure, TCS or Helios & Matheson will be the thing of the future. Therefore, the entire process of investment has to be followed. Portfolio has to be made and reviewed periodically. Mistakes have to be made, money has to be lost, time has to be invested along with a strong flavour of self-faith.

One must become an investor as a result of perseverance.

I don't really think this holds good. Because:

1. You only see the good side. What about companies that have fallen or been wiped out from the market? You don't consider that.

2. You cannot judge a company's performance and predict future growth for such a long time duration. There are just too many factors that vary during this period.

3. Investing needs constant attention and research. You cannot just forget and hope the company does well.