Internet connection/options

DSM

Thanks TracerBullet,

Tried to download NetSpeedMonitor from Softronic. Unfortunately, it comes with some other bundled software, and also got a virus alert.

You can monitor internet connection on taskbar through NetSpeedMonitor. Nice free tool.

DSM

Happy resolution to the issue :

One of the reasons that I prefer to use Tata Broadband is that after a complaint is registered, there is a tracking no. and a follow up call to ensure that the issue has been resolved. Yesterday, after lodging my complaint, the fault was rectified in about 4 odd hours. But what I liked was that the Engineer concerned called me up via a conference call to the customer care centre, who took down my ISP details, and CONFIRMED if the problem was resolved to my satisfaction? After my agreeing that it was, the ticket no. was then closed. So this restores my faith in Tata Broadband.

And this had happened last time I had to lodge a complaint a few years back.!

I have been using Tata Broadband for net connection for the last few years. Except for a few and small hiccups, there has been no issues and overall the service has been good - EXCEPT till a few days past. Two days ago, I had internet outage for 8 hours. Calling up the technical guys, I was informed that this is a 'server issue', which is being fixed. Now since yesterday, my net is down for over 24 hours. The Technical guys have promised to 'check and look into the matter' However nothing has happened till now.

TracerBullet

Thanks TracerBullet,

Tried to download NetSpeedMonitor from Softronic. Unfortunately, it comes with some other bundled software, and also got a virus alert.

This is where i took from. I installed it few years ago, though version is same.

i dont know about softonic, softpedia is reliable. In any case, when you install stuff in windows you should read every step and unselect any optional bundles.
There is no virus in NetSpeedMonitor, i use it for long time never gave any problems - just enable it once in taskmanager after installation. you can double check it in virustotal. i dont know what 'safeweb' is.

there must be other similar softwares anyway ...

TracerBullet

Very few options for real unlimited downloads and reasonable speed.

i use mtnl, get unlimited 1/1.5 mbps no 'fair' usage limits for ~700-800 pm.
Been using them for a decade. Recently, has been interrupted 4-5 times in last year but otherwise happy with it.
Pings to other countries are bad ( for games used to be ~120-150ms+ europe) but this is probably same/worse for everyone.

Have to check how to tether with vodafone simcard for emergency backup.

DSM

Thanks Tracer,

I too have a vodafone simcard, and believe that it can be used for net connection - as a backup and with 'pay as you go' concept (being charged only when used) But my concern is about download charges. For Nest and TradeTiger charting data I wonder how much the charges would be. These telcom companies are known for socking out a jaw once in a while. I remember a family had some NRI grandchildren as visitors for 4 days, and went in for a temp. connection via SIM card. They were shocked when the bill was handed over. For 4 days it was Rs. 11,000 plus. It seems the kids were accessing videos and games and had run up quite a few MB's.....

Anybody in the forum using Sim card sharing their experience/bills would be great!

TracerBullet

Thanks Tracer,

I too have a vodafone simcard, and believe that it can be used for net connection - as a backup and with 'pay as you go' concept (being charged only when used) But my concern is about download charges. For Nest and TradeTiger charting data I wonder how much the charges would be. These telcom companies are known for socking out a jaw once in a while. I remember a family had some NRI grandchildren as visitors for 4 days, and went in for a temp. connection via SIM card. They were shocked when the bill was handed over. For 4 days it was Rs. 11,000 plus. It seems the kids were accessing videos and games and had run up quite a few MB's.....

Anybody in the forum using Sim card sharing their experience/bills would be great!
i use prepaid so this wont happen and will only use it to square off. Dont know how much that will use, but first need to move from dumb phone.

Tariffs seem to be like last decade modem days. 4p/10KB, little more than 4 rs per mb. i guess they need to recover their government fees.
Anyway, should not use much for just square off from Web / Nest i hope.
Btw, Does Nest work without re-login if your ip changes?

VJAY

As I am small trader I used BSNL BB for my trades earlier.But now using IDEA 2g for my trading.I use ami with utility which grabs data from terminal so not much speed required :) ...also I trade in Nf&bnf so no more scrips on terminal.so its not much problem for me in trading...though just minor net loss occurs which not a problem for me as am trading in 15 & 30 tf...:) ..so its suuficient for one who trades nifty only....

lemondew

hey tracerbullet,

I used mtnl before as well but once their line got bad had lot of probs. Quit it. Anyways i dont do intradays so am ok 2G. Hey your RTD feeder was good used it and loved it. Still making any softwares.:thumb:

Regards.

Very few options for real unlimited downloads and reasonable speed.

i use mtnl, get unlimited 1/1.5 mbps no 'fair' usage limits for ~700-800 pm.
Been using them for a decade. Recently, has been interrupted 4-5 times in last year but otherwise happy with it.
Pings to other countries are bad ( for games used to be ~120-150ms+ europe) but this is probably same/worse for everyone.

DSM

Hi Tracer,

Re : Btw, Does Nest work without re-login if your ip changes? Not changed ip, so do not know, but it does connect automatically without having to log in if disconnected due to net problem. (With TradeTiger have to input user id, password, trading password!)