Interactive brokers Rs.20 max brokerage?

lonstud

You are correct.

There are no separate charges for historical or live data feeds. They do not provide historical tick data. However, you can get sampled data. The minimum sampling can be of 1 sec and you can get historical data for the past six months when using sampling of 1 sec interval for futures and equities. Options historical data are only available for the current and future expiries. Once an option series expires, historical data for the same cannot be obtained. Data between six months to 1 year are also available for free for futures and equities but sampling period needs to be more than 30 seconds for the same.

For getting sampled data more than 1 year, one needs to either buy their data booster packs or generate enough commissions through trading.

One need not keep spare margin of 1 lac at all times to initiate positions. Your account should have balance of atleast 2 lacs to initiate f&o position. But that 2 lacs need not been in cash. If you have stocks worth 1 lac and cash worth 1 lac in your account, then you can initiate position in f&o instruments as long as initial margin requirement is less than 1 lac.
Are these people good enough to trust with a margin account of say Rs. 30L + ?

Snake.Head

They are best when it come to trading platform and api
They don't want you to call them if desktop platform is down use mobile or web platform is up all three are on different severs but in sync with each other
Many hedge fund use them in india and SG to trade on NSE
Data they provide is same has NEST no difference notice while running side by side
only i had is not shorting after 2.30 in cash and sometime some stock are able to short as their custom rule
Rest all good

Last edited:
Those are interested in using IB APIs to trade in automated manner can check out the links here about the how APIs work.
Trade Markets Using APIs

QuantInsti offers a 6-month course in algorithmic trading in which you get to learn about all the important elements like Quantitative trading strategies, Backtesting of strategies, Programming, APIs, Stats, Machine learning etc. which enable you to write your own strategies and automate them on a platform like Interactive Brokers.

Just-Trade

Margin requirement from IB is very high even for NF, BNF! 50% HIGHER for NRML!!!

For discount brokers, standard margin NRML for NF BNF is 8%.
MIS is minimum 50% of NRML so about 4% to total contract, which many one calls for 4X.
Whereas for most of them MIS is 40% of NRML, so 3.6% of total contract~3.6X.
With IB, even NF BNF NRML is 150% than normal discount brokers. BNF 1.20 Lakh where current NRML is below 80K with others. This is a very big DIS-Advantage. We need to increase 50% cap to maintain similar volume with NRML trades.
NF BNF NRML is nearly 12% there not 8%.

MIS requirement goes higher, this is 6% of total contract. In other words, it is 6X in IB, not 4X or 3.6X which is current standard for most of the brokers.

6X for MIS and 12X for NRML is way too high!:rolleyes:
What about cover order margin for NF/BNF there?

Just-Trade

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
What about cover order margin for NF/BNF there?
Just-Trade
Don't know about Cover Order Margin. As margin requirement is very high using them for Options Trading- only buy side.
Kept only a few lakhs for options trading there to make a/c active mainly. I love to use Trader Workstation mainly for fast 15-second charts.
I use another discount broker with less margin requirement for F&O trading. IB is my backup broker also. If somehow my main discount broker terminal hangs then, IB is there to hedge my open F&O position with options. ;)
A traders job is 1. to cut the risk as much as possible, 2. to use the faster & stable charting terminal and 3. to use the maximum leverage he/she is comfortable with. So, IB is an important part of my trading plan. Their 15 seconds charts and stable terminal(as backup) are my edges, not the leverage. :blackalien:

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
Don't know about Cover Order Margin. As margin requirement is very high using them for Options Trading- only buy side.
Kept only a few lakhs for options trading there to make a/c active mainly. I love to use Trader Workstation mainly for fast 15-second charts.
I use another discount broker with less margin requirement for F&O trading. IB is my backup broker also. If somehow my main discount broker terminal hangs then, IB is there to hedge my open F&O position with options. ;)
A traders job is 1. to cut the risk as much as possible, 2. to use the faster & stable charting terminal and 3. to use the maximum leverage he/she is comfortable with. So, IB is an important part of my trading plan. Their 15 seconds charts and stable terminal(as backup) are my edges, not the leverage. :blackalien:
Wow.15 Sec. I cant handle anything below 5 minutes.

Those are interested in using IB APIs to trade in automated manner can check out the links here about the how APIs work.
Trade Markets Using APIs

QuantInsti offers a 6-month course in algorithmic trading in which you get to learn about all the important elements like Quantitative trading strategies, Backtesting of strategies, Programming, APIs, Stats, Machine learning etc. which enable you to write your own strategies and automate them on a platform like Interactive Brokers.
Which are the better API in market now? I am currently having 2 strategies which are working pretty well for me in the last 3 months but doing manual trading with Ami is not happening. I tried to use 1 broker before but didn't work. Recently, Fyers API making buzz in the market. All I know right now is that they are good in chart trading. Is it worth it trying to use API to trade instead of keeping one person with 10k salary to place my trades.. If yes how to go about it. My software guy does not know which API is best.