Interactive Brokers - Pros and cons?

I have been using IB since 2008 i think..
Pros: A reasonably stable execution platform. Well designed with good tools, but many dont work for indian markets.
Cons: Data quality - market and historical is very poor. My understanding has been that the IB real-time feed was sampled, and therefore could miss high/lows, but the historical feed would generally be corrected. However, recently this is what i found. On a randomly selected day (20th Jan 2016), the IB reported volume on charts and on historical API were substantially different from the volumes reported by the exchange. Generally, the volumes were lower by 78% on average - and i am talking about the stocks that are index constituents. Similarly, when comparing the highs reported by IB historical feeds vs as reported by exchange, there were many symbols that had a 7%-9% discrepancy with a vis the traded high on that day.

I sent these numbers to IB and i following response, basically washing their hands off historical data completely.

Dear Mr. Sharma,

The TWS charts and historical data shows the sum of all last information. Since we are not receiving all last values from NSE, therefore the total/netted volume will not match the official NSE Value. Yes there can discrepancy of up to 70-80%. No, the correct historical data will not be available on API as well.

Also, note that the High/low, etc. can also vary due to the above issue. If the Last information was not received at the time when market was making new highs, then there will be a discrepancy.

Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot modify the system as this how NSE sends us the data. Our technical team is aware of the issue. At best, you can refer to the live data available on the TWS watchlist on a real time basis (not historical or chart data).

sspms2002

what do u mean by this. pls Explain
Their Prints are not real time...they usually print bulk prints...So if there are trade happening at 392 , their prints would not show all the volume and also not the exact price...

But at the end of the day it gets corrected. Historical Prints sync as i guess they get the all the details from NSE then.

sibu3168

I am using TWS for the last two month. Although their platform is robust, I found it took too much time to load and there is high level of disconnectivity in between. Net is stable as I can do other things at the same time. After disconnection, it connects within 30 sec. Since I am trading in E-mini, such type of disconnectivity really hurts me in trading although till now i don't have any loss.
Can anybody help me in this regard?

Thanks

Ajax

Please can any one tell me Nifty future symbol for Amibroker for IB
I have tried every thing, does not work

eg Nifty Feb future -- NIFTY16FEBFUT-NSE-FUT-INR - INVALID

pL TELL ME EXACT CODE

tHANX -

mastermind007

>>>They do not penalize you for trading on BSE and they do not steal pennies like unnecessary rounding offs unlike most other brokers.

Does Interactive Brokers penalize for trading on the BSE?

Can you negotiate with Interactive Brokers at all?
LOL, IB does not allow you to trade on BSE.

The most common tactic in negotiating in India for a customer is "give me a fair deal or I walk away to your competitor" cannot work with IB.

iTrade

Even I do need some information
1. Do they have fully automated trading API alongwith data feed?
2. How much margin/leverage they provide for intraday trading?
3. By holidays, I am confused. I understood that on weekends trading is not available but what about if a US/UK holiday like thanksgiving or black friday falls on weekday?

Thanks.

iTrade

I wrote an email to IB asking for India rules for day traders and leverage/margin. Here is the reply. Hope it helps all.
--------------------------
IB India offers trading in stocks, stock options, stock futures, index options, index futures and currency futures on the NSE for Indian residents.

Below are the answers to your queries:

1. The Pattern Day Trading rule shall not apply. This means that you can do unlimited day trades without any restrictions.

2. The leverage offered is 50% on Category 1 NSE stocks and no leverage is offered on Category 2 and Category 3 stocks.

In order to open an account, there is a liquid net worth requirement of USD 6000 or equivalent to trade in stocks or USD 30000 to trade in derivatives. This proof can be in the form of bank statements, fixed deposits, mutual fund holdings or your existing shares with another broker.

As IB caters to active traders, a monthly Minimum Activity Fee is assessed to account holders generating commissions below USD 5 in any given month. This fee is capped at USD 5 and is offset in part or in full by any commissions generated during the month.

The initial minimum deposit is USD 2000 or USD equivalent.

Please refer to the below link for further pricing information:
https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=13869
-------------------