Interactive Brokers (India)

tachy

Hi CougarTrader, thanks for all the great info on IB. I'm hoping to start trading with IB soon and I was wondering if you could answer my query. I'd like to send automated bracket orders from Amibroker to IB to buy calls and puts on BNF based on a BNF spot chart in Amibroker. Is this possible? Would you know what the IB symbol code is for Banknifty options? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CougarTrader

I'd like to send automated bracket orders from Amibroker to IB to buy calls and puts on BNF based on a BNF spot chart in Amibroker. Is this possible?
very much possible... implementation steepness would depend basis your programming skills & desires...

if you want everything custom-built then you would need,
asynchronous socket programming
http server (GET, POST, FETCH)

otherwise,
using AFL only you can directly interact with AB's Interactive Brokers Controller (IBC). Please make sure that you purchase latest AB, then you may ask question in AB's Official Forum.

In this manner you may programmatically construct your order in AFL (basis conditions) trigger it through IBC to TWS (or Classic). Please do not rush, give yourself ample time and research exhaustively, everything is well documented online.

Would you know what the IB symbol code is for Banknifty options?
These articles answer your doubt in regards to Symbology along with many other helpful stuffs.
How to find correct IB symbol using TWS
How to use AmiBroker with Interactive Brokers TWS

CougarTrader

IBKR's TWS is super for Option Traders and what they offer is nonparallel to any other broker in India.

This is one of hundred ways to visualize option analysis in TWS as per your custom requirements. Hedge gives edge! TWS helps as you can view it all to assess it all in one screen:

1645939173820.png

(1) Custom scanner - Create custom scans the way you want - volume, price scans, IV, IVP/R and much more;

(2) Custom Option Chain -
Customize strikes (basis SD, count, etc.)
Specify time period (weeks, months)
Expand/collapse the series you want (the way you want)
Place orders from the Option chain straight (construct all legs of your option strategy)
Make use of the Strategy Builder
View BidxAsk
ATM IV% for each series, the list goes on

(3) Open Interest - Custom select the series you want. If you want to see it all together, may do so.

(4) Volatity Viewer -
(a) Underlying Price chart
(b) White Line - IV%
(c) Orange Line - 30 day HV%
(d) Purple Line - 100 day HV%, you can have custom Time period

All this at no extra cost.

Last edited:

VXP

CougarTrader, Unfortunately your 3rd point regarding Open Interest doesn't seems to work for me. It shows Option Volume only. As you are aware that "Options Volume" & "Options Open Interest" share the same window and we need to select what we want to see by making the desired choice on the top right hand side as shown in the attached image below. However for NSE options it only shows Options Volume and the Options Open Interest selection is greyed out and not available.

OpenInt.jpg

Last edited:

CougarTrader

CougarTrader, Your 3rd point regarding Open Interest is not correct. It shows Option Volume only. As you are aware that "Options Volume" & "Options Open Interest" share the same window and we need to select what we want to see by making the desired choice on the top right hand side as shown in the attached image below. However for NSE options it only shows Options Volume and the Options Open Interest selection is greyed out and not available.

View attachment 47467
Edit your "not correct" statement if you can!

While selecting from New Window make sure "Open Interest by Strike" is selected. Although the title of that widget shows "Option Volume", but numbers resemble "Open Interest" - get that clarified with IBKR if still in doubt.

1646014021842.png

Open Interest vs. Volume: Understanding the Difference (investopedia.com) Technically Volume shows total number of transactions that occurred, and, OI shows unique open contracts.

NSE while feeding to GFIS does not feed OI & Volume real-time. Option Volume is fed as 1 second (snapshot) but OI at a lag of >= 3 minutes. GFIS system that is incorporated with IBKR does not like that! That's why it is greyed out for NSE. We cannot have a segregated graphical view of Volume & OI in TWS, though Option Chain tabular view is possible.

IBKR system complies by common standards adopted by all major global exchanges. Our exchanges adopts those standards "on paper", however, in reality fail to execute.

After all we as traders, our concern is to determine support/resistance, long/short building/unwinding with respect to underlying's price movement. This graphical representation serves it well in a glance! Be rest assured about it...

Last edited:

VXP

@CougarTrader, Are you saying that while selecting from New Window if we select "Open Interest by Strike" then it will show Open Interest and NOT Option Volume although the title of that widget will shows Option Volume and if we select "Open Volume by Strike" then it will show Option Volume?

You mentioned "get that clarified with IBKR if still in doubt". After many interactions with IBKR support executives over time regarding these types of issues, I have found that most of them don't know what they are talking about. Their standard template of their reply is "it is as per the software design" or you can request this feature at "New features Poll".

BTW, I have edited my previous post.

CougarTrader

@CougarTrader, Are you saying that while selecting from New Window if we select "Open Interest by Strike" then it will show Open Interest and NOT Option Volume although the title of that widget will shows Option Volume and if we select "Open Volume by Strike" then it will show Option Volume?
For now both the widgets shall yield same result. Since 2018 SEBI is pushing NSE to stabilize datafeed (circular no. SEBI/HO/MRD/DP/CIR/P/2018/62). Future is bright!

You mentioned "get that clarified with IBKR if still in doubt". After many interactions with IBKR support executives over time regarding these types of issues, I have found that most of them don't know what they are talking about. Their standard template of their reply is "it is as per the software design" or you can request this feature at "New features Poll".
Raise a ticket. Appropriate person will reply

VXP

Raise a ticket. Appropriate person will reply
I have raised tickets and had many online chats regarding many issues but barring few cases I never got satisfactory replies. In one instance when I was chatting with a support executive regarding a bug relating to Stop Limit order, he reproduced the issue reported by me but kept on insisting that since he is also getting the same result so it is not a bug. When I asked him to explain how the Stop Limit price shown by TWS was correct, he has no answer.

CougarTrader

I have raised tickets and had many online chats regarding many issues but barring few cases I never got satisfactory replies. In one instance when I was chatting with a support executive regarding a bug relating to Stop Limit order, he reproduced the issue reported by me but kept on insisting that since he is also getting the same result so it is not a bug. When I asked him to explain how the Stop Limit price shown by TWS was correct, he has no answer.
97% your of all questions are answered in their official youtube channel (including that STP Limit Order & many more advanced ones)

of remaining 3% can be found by,
1% by (extensive) web search,
1% support tickets, and,
1% for instinct is sufficient...

Guided hand holding support comes at a cost in terms of manned support, which is not feasible in India as of today.

If your questions are so unanswerable by any of India support team, please call US support of IBKR after 08:30pm IST.

US's IBKR customer service facilitates global customers. US representatives are extremely knowledgeable w.r.t. to the platform and many many know-hows or how-to of IBKR, but they might not be able to answer any NSE specific question (or questions specific to our markets).