Interactive brokers 2019 need suggestions and reviews.

when I was testing a strategy with small quantities in cash-stocks, shorting was available in most of the top 200 stocks but since markets are closed now, I'll have to check tomorrow & see if this is still the case or if they have changed their policy recently.

Now the above statement is giving a very wrong idea and may be suggesting you can use IB for top 200 for intraday stocks. Its not a problem.
1. First of all IB has a policy that you cant take short position on any stocks top 200 or top 10 after 2:30 pm. So yes you cant short after 2:30 pm
2. I traded nifty 50 stocks and many times stocks werent available. And there is no way you will know in advance if stocks are available or not. Lets say you are tracking tatasteel today and after 1 hour of chart watching you spot a trade you put the trade. Only after you put the trade you will know whether its available for shorting or no. So its not reliable.

Having said that for index futures /limited stock futures its good. Their platform is good. So it really depends what you wish to do.
There's a Shortable column that you can add to the watch-list that's supposed to let you know in advance which shares can be shorted & which can't be, & from the look of the picture below, it seems like most are shortable.

IB shortable.png

Last edited:
They have a order which will automatically fire after a particular time. So one can put an order to square off positions at 15:15:00 This can be attached to a SL order such that if Sl doesnt happen it will fire. So one can make their own auto square off.
Hello,

I heard that IB has facility to place orders for options based on underlying price.
Means, i can place an order which execute in option, with trigger price from spot.
Did you tried this order type? please let me know...
Conditional Orders allow us to fire orders based on all sorts of criteria, like price of another instrument, time, margin, volume, percentage-change & other stuff. So yes, you can use Conditional Order to exit your open positions at a specific time as well as execute an option-trade based on price of its spot or any other instrument.

lemondew

Theres a shortable shares column too. By default The dark green color means the stock will be available to short once shares are available. If the shares are available to short then it would show a light green color. These are all dynamic ...

There's a Shortable column that you can add to the watch-list that's supposed to let you know in advance which shares can be shorted & which can't be, & from the look of the picture below, it seems like most are shortable.

View attachment 34937

Last edited:

abhay.fintech

You're welcome.

It might seem weird but I rarely trade NIFTY so don't know its margin by-heart, in fact, I don't know exact margins of 100 or so stock-futures that are in my IB watch-list because I have no affinity for any particular instrument, I just trade whatever instrument that my scanner says meets my technical criteria; so, the only thing I keep in mind is that for most of the instruments in my watchlist, one lot can be bought/sold intraday with 50k to 150k.

Nonetheless, IB has a global reputation for being very transparent, so what you see is what you get. So, you can rest assured that the margins you see here are pretty much what you'll see on the live platform, excepting negligible variance due to daily price-changes - https://www.interactivebrokers.co.i...showcategories=FUTGRP&p=&cc=&limit=100&page=2

Why do you think trading-costs would differ significantly between IB & Zerodha or some other Rs.20 discount-broker, if they are going to charge Rs.20 per executed order for F&O & all of the other charges are going to be very much identical?

Nonetheless, here's one my of my recent contract notes, & I cross-checked on Zerodha brokerage-calculator & it's pretty much identical :

Based on the link above, it seems that overnight margin for 1 lot Nifty is 2.15 lakh (1.2l initial margin + 96k exposure margin). This is more than double of Indian brokers (zerodha currently charges me 92k). Can you please confirm whether this is indeed the margin they are asking for?

CougarTrader

Last edited:
Based on the link above, it seems that overnight margin for 1 lot Nifty is 2.15 lakh (1.2l initial margin + 96k exposure margin). This is more than double of Indian brokers (zerodha currently charges me 92k). Can you please confirm whether this is indeed the margin they are asking for?
You're reading the information wrongly. It's only 120k for NIFTY overnight, not 120+96. That 96k is maintenance margin, not exposure margin.

https://ibkr.info/article/1445
"Maintenance Margin Requirement – the amount of equity which must be maintained in order to continue holding a position."

Perhaps, this isn't as relevant to Indian markets since there are no overnight extended trading-hours as there are in the US & other markets but like I've said before, IB follows US regulations, so some of their terminology & policies are based off of that.

So, even though there's no such thing as "NRML" & "MIS" in IB platform, just for the sake of better understanding, you can think of it like, 120k to ENTER one lot in NIFTY as "NRML", & once entered, your balance can't fall below 96k, so I guess it's like a margin-call/stop-out level. Similarly, the same values for "MIS" one lot in NIFTY would be 60k to enter & 48k for margin-call/stop-out.

As an intraday-trader, I don't keep wider stops, so I've never needed to inquire about this but you can if you feel the need to do so. As I've said before, if you are confused about absolutely anything, you can always contact their live-chat or give them a call, & they will explain everything to you since their support is very professional.

Read on IB website-

"Payment for Order Flow

For most brokers payment for order flow (PFOF) has become a larger component of their revenues. In spite of Interactive Brokers’ growth, we have not disadvantaged our clients by focusing on this revenue."

Hi guys,
Does IB have BO & CO as seen on zerodha and others for NSE? Do they also have the same amount of leverage? Zerodha provides 15X leverage for some stocks does IB have it ?

I want to know how conditional order works on IB platform, system has to place SL-Limit order to buy underlying option when conditional order triggered on future price, is this feature available?

Read on IB website-

"Payment for Order Flow

For most brokers payment for order flow (PFOF) has become a larger component of their revenues. In spite of Interactive Brokers’ growth, we have not disadvantaged our clients by focusing on this revenue."
I don't think this is relevant to Indian markets because I don't think brokers are allowed to sell order-flow, like they are in the US.

I want to know how conditional order works on IB platform, system has to place SL-Limit order to buy underlying option when conditional order triggered on future price, is this feature available?
https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=584