Information regarding Capstone Securities.

Does anyone on the forum has any idea about Capstone Securities Ltd., a Pune based prop-trading firm. I'm interested to know about the work culture and career prospects, once we join the firm. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Novicetrader90

milkyblack

Does anyone on the forum has any idea about Capstone Securities Ltd., a Pune based prop-trading firm. I'm interested to know about the work culture and career prospects, once we join the firm. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Novicetrader90
Work timings 6 pm to 3 am.
Career prospect :- completely left to individual, as it is individual performance based. Huge potential for growth in terms of money, no growth in terms of designation and job rotation etc.

comm4300

Regards,
Novicetrader90
worked there for 3 months; hence commenting. ****FYI**** this is going to be my personal view about the company.

Training - 2/10; you are supposed to "Tape read" and trade. But, not much training provided. Platform training is provided. Many senior traders come for lecture - but do not share any of their techniques [fair enough]; Training needs a lot of improvement.

Profit Sharing - my main reason to leave this company. It is very confusing to begin with; it is very attractive for senior traders, but totally different for new ones. Your break even per month is an uphill task. Stiphend is rs.2000/- per month. Any leave - rs.63/- is deducted. Charts are like the ones you see on odin. Chart trading is not encouraged. Low volume stocks are traded mostly - and you'll observe that the money on these low vol stocks is revolving within the company.

Mentors: mentors are provided; but it is as good as not having any. Just one or two of the senior traders bother to train their mentees. Others don't bother to talk to you.

Time: you are given a initial 3 month period to show performance in terms of profit. there is not benchmark for profit; but consistency is checked. At end of 3 months you are given an extension of another 3 months - failure to perform during this time leads to termination. But, even if you are an average performer - you are taken on the payrolls of the co. - meaning your stiphend increases to rs.8k and other benefits. However, this stiphend and other software charges, ECN charges, data charges are recoverable from you - meaning you need to make that many dollars per month else your PnL would become negative.

these are my experiences. However, there are great success stories in there [only from batch one/two n three] others just give up and leave.

good experience.

all the best.

Last edited:
Thanks for your insightful information. I'm from a non-financial background and aspire to become a prop-trader. I have one last question regarding the selection criteria as, the CSA website barely gives any information regarding the selection process. It would be glad, if you can throw some light on the format of aptitude test and interview.

Regards.
Novicetrader90

aryan.

these are my experiences. However, there are great success stories in there [only from batch one/two n three] others just give up and leave.
Thanks for sharing.

What happens to those who leave, do they join some other firm for trading or totally quit trading?

comm4300

Thanks for your insightful information. I'm from a non-financial background and aspire to become a prop-trader. I have one last question regarding the selection criteria as, the CSA website barely gives any information regarding the selection process. It would be glad, if you can throw some light on the format of aptitude test and interview.

Regards.
Novicetrader90
hiring happens almost all the days throughout the year.

there is a aptitude test with time limit that you need to clear with atleast 60% . Clearing this test means you are selected - other rounds are just a formality.

there is attrition in the company - some quit, others are asked to leave. So hiring goes on...

comm4300

Thanks for sharing.

What happens to those who leave, do they join some other firm for trading or totally quit trading?
haven't tracked the ones that have left.. For me, the profit sharing arrangement suddenly changed from what was told at the time of joining. Hence, i left.

for the successful ones, some open an account and trade for themselves the US equity market. Others continue to stay with the company. There are no prop trading firms in Pune apart from capstone.

The success ratio is very low - and i blame it on the way the agreement is done. No matter what, the House always wins. Traders come and go....

Raju

If there are any more prop trading firms in Pune apart from capstone request you all to tell us their names.

Regards,
Raju

#Comm4300: Thanks a ton for your valuable piece of information. I am planning to give it a serious shot. So, it would be great if you can make some time to explain the pattern of the test i.e is it a CAT type aptitude or any finance related or quick math test.