Important: Cost basis for a stock whose purchase price you don't know!

Dear forum, the question I'm asking to you is very important for me and perhaps for others also, so I plead you to take some time off to answer my question. Even if you have a vaguest idea about my question then also please don't hesitate to share it with me.

My question: How would you determine the purchase price (also called cost basis) of a stock if you have forgotten it? I want to know is there a method, a way or calculation to find the bought price in case you don't remember it?

Now, please don't suggest me to take help of broker, statements, historical data etc. Because I'm asking the question on the assumption that I have nothing to assist. No data, no statement etc. We just have total numbers of shares and its total value. I explain you this by a below given scenario.

Let us take an example from my CDSL account. I have 240 shares Of IRB, bought at the rate of Rs 185 and which is currently trading at Rs 200.95 and its holding value is Rs 48228.

Here I know my original purchase price is rupees 185. But what if I know ONLY the number of shares (240) and the holding value, which is Rs 48228. Can I find my purchase price (Rs 185) in this case? This is my question.

Thanks for bearing with me. And sorry for prolonging the post. Please do give your inputs on it. Any idea, help, suggestion is welcomed. I've spend hours on internet to find the solution of this situation. But to no avail. I could not find the purchase price 185!!:annoyed:

Regards

sanjosedesi

I am not sure why you are trying to put shackles on people who can help with your situation. Your comment "please don't suggest me to take help of broker, statements, historical data" is weird.

Unless you are faking some data for income tax reporting, and then trying to justify how you got that number, I do not see a real life scenario of what you need.

Can you please try to explain what you are trying to do? Start with what the situation is, then go on to what you have tried and last what you think are the missing pieces. You will probably get better inputs that way. If it is a hypothetical, please explain the agenda of your research.

sanjosedesi

If you go to yahoo finance or NSE website, you can find historical price data of any security. I think it is called Bhav copy on NSE. Once I tried to pull something from 90s and I got it ... crystal clear. [ But yahoo has gaps, a lot of data is missing. ]

MurAtt

NO there is no way to get that unless of course you have a date as to when it was purchased .. then look up historical data (as San Jose Desi - hope I have it right) suggested.

Thats the best we can do ... and I am sure nothing else will work unless of course someone remembers the price when it was bought ...

:)

I am not sure why you are trying to put shackles on people who can help with your situation. Your comment "please don't suggest me to take help of broker, statements, historical data" is weird.

Unless you are faking some data for income tax reporting, and then trying to justify how you got that number, I do not see a real life scenario of what you need.

Can you please try to explain what you are trying to do? Start with what the situation is, then go on to what you have tried and last what you think are the missing pieces. You will probably get better inputs that way. If it is a hypothetical, please explain the agenda of your research.

Take your tripe elsewhere Mr. Sanjose. I've not coerced you or anybody to respond to my query. What you call shackles is actually a "polite condition" begin with a polite word "please". When was the last time you got your eyes checked? Or are you high? Sensing agenda, motives and intention where there is none and obvious desire to learn. Why do every forum has these dumbos?

NO there is no way to get that unless of course you have a date as to when it was purchased .. then look up historical data (as San Jose Desi - hope I have it right) suggested.

Thats the best we can do ... and I am sure nothing else will work unless of course someone remembers the price when it was bought ...

:)
Thanks Murtaza bhai for answering my question. After lots of research I also feel what said by you. One need to have that data. Without that, it is just impossible to discover purchase price in case you forgot it. :)

AW10

IMO, if one remembers the date or week or month of purchase than as best guess, probably one can take average price of that period as entry price. i.e. (open+high+low+close)/4 of that day/week/month.. In absence of anyother data, IMO, this can be fair assumption.

If I have to handle IT department, than I will go back to the period beyond which we are not supposed to maintain data..(i think it is 7years). So I may very well give it a try by giving the purchase date before 7 years or so (ofcourse if the investment is really that old).
IMO, if someone has to catch you than there are many other points to catch.. but if intention is for personal use, than fair degree of approximation should be fine.

all the best.

sanjosedesi

Take your tripe elsewhere Mr. Sanjose. I've not coerced you or anybody to respond to my query. What you call shackles is actually a "polite condition" begin with a polite word "please". When was the last time you got your eyes checked? Or are you high? Sensing agenda, motives and intention where there is none and obvious desire to learn. Why do every forum has these dumbos?
The closest situation I can describe to the first post in this thread ... so I am having a heart attack ... and I say ... do not give me aspirin, do not take me to hospital, do not do CPR if something happens, but PLEASE PLEASE help me. And did I say heart attack? Maybe it is a migraine.

I realize my commentary may not be very popular, but no one has to coerce or stop me from getting into a situation where I think I can help. Yeah I actually am dumb.

SavantGarde

If You are really really interested in getting to as close to the real purchase price.... all one needs to do is printout the 'Transaction Statement' from Demat account and the date the scrip appears on your transaction statement ...take the the CMP or Average of High & Low of 3 Days Back.....That should give you a very close acquisition cost. Holding Statement is Different from Transaction Statement

Happy & Safer Investing

SavantGarde

MurAtt

No data, no statement etc. We just have total numbers of shares and its total value.
appears on your transaction statement
No statements ... seems some old physical scrip purchase which was later converted to demat.
Or some sort of valuation at purchase time, to get some old accounts right maybe ..

Not my biz but still poking my nose in it :D