I really don't understand people related in finance

goldenedge

I applied for a finance job just for fun. For some reason out of fate, I was qualified. Remind you that I dropped out of IIT and that I don't have a degree.

The below is what I have noticed.

1) the basic joke of finance is that no one cares about your degree but everyone cares about your returns. With that being said, everyone uses your lack of degree and that you cannot manage the fund even after showing very good returns.

2) people related in finance are to be taken with a grain of salt. I know a person, who used his credentials to get funding. I can speak financial terms to prove investors that I know what I'm doing too. He gave me trading job offers but I don't think I can ever trust that person .

But, if you don't have the burning zeal inside you then you aren't gonna make it far in this field. What a joke! No matter what you say, trading is sort of like an Olympic sport. You gotta be your best at all times.

People use degree and credentials when you have good returns and they talk about returns when you have credentials. No one can do both at my age. First I was sad but I now understand that this is how this field works.

newtrader101

The Job market is like that every where. Nobody is willing to pay what you deserve. Those who are not in the market are at a disadvvantage. HR tries for the best bargain. Unfortunately we do not know their strategies and requirements. In the low balling game, nobody wins.
My conclusion: Get your foot in the door even if the job and pay aren't upto your expectation. But dont fall for any bonds etc. Once you're in, you can leverage that position for a better one.

The Job market is like that every where. Nobody is willing to pay what you deserve. Those who are not in the market are at a disadvvantage. HR tries for the best bargain. Unfortunately we do not know their strategies and requirements. In the low balling game, nobody wins.
My conclusion: Get your foot in the door even if the job and pay aren't upto your expectation. But dont fall for any bonds etc. Once you're in, you can leverage that position for a better one.
i agree.

goldenedge

Analysts believe that stock market traders are gamblers. Traders believe that financial analysis means not much because financial markets are never efficient.

Who is right? Well both are right and wrong. It's not an art and not a science.

On a short term , it's slightly tipped towards art and on a long term it's tipped towards science. But, it's always a mix of both and has always been.

goldenedge

The high from "being right" the market and making all that money is unbelievable. It cannot be duplicated with drugs. You are totally invincible. You ] are impervious to all pain. There's nothing bad in the world. It's literally like you expect God to call any minute and ask, "Is it okay if I let the sun come up tomorrow morning?" And after thinking about it for a minute you'll probably say, "Yeah, go ahead."

A quote from the book - what I learned from losing a million dollars

newtrader101

Surprisingly. two days after this post, a recruiter called for a job, her talk was eerily parallel to the content of this post.

newtrader101

Surprisingly. two days after this post, a recruiter called for a job, her talk was eerily parallel to the content of this post.
Anyway, job hopping isn't desirable. One should have a commitment for atleast 1-11/2 years. Otherwise the CV will reflect it.