i have 5000rs to invest

i want to be a value investor and want to trade on a long term.but i have only 5000rs.i can do research on companies on my own.but the thing is that i m a college student in 12th standard and i dont have any source of income.
i have this money which i save and now i wanna invest.
i want to invest such that i get a steady cashflow with the help of stocks.
what should i do:
1) should i invest it in a comy like tcs or reliance and wait for few years.
2)or should i invest it in a small cap company that according to my research has chances pf growing good if not fast but good and steady and then wait for years.
3)or should i just make an earning with day trading.
iin the future i want to make my living outta stocks only stocks not some lame job.is it possible?

HI there,

Quite a young age to start. But the market is such a place that once you are addicted to it you would not want to do any thing else. Its such a mesmerising place.
So, in case you plan to study further it would be wise to invest in some mutual fund and just keep track of your fund. The investments made by your fund manager and their portfolio churning would give you valuable inputs before you taking plunge in the markets.
It would be better than you depending on infosys or tcs.
All the best to you.

alberteinsteinc said:
i want to be a value investor and want to trade on a long term.but i have only 5000rs.i can do research on companies on my own.but the thing is that i m a college student in 12th standard and i dont have any source of income.
i have this money which i save and now i wanna invest.
i want to invest such that i get a steady cashflow with the help of stocks.
what should i do:
1) should i invest it in a comy like tcs or reliance and wait for few years.
2)or should i invest it in a small cap company that according to my research has chances pf growing good if not fast but good and steady and then wait for years.
3)or should i just make an earning with day trading.
iin the future i want to make my living outta stocks only stocks not some lame job.is it possible?
Hi Alberteinstein,

First of all,...............hats off to you,my friend,that you are planning to save.Seems to be a rarity these days among the younger folks.Hats off to you for realising that apart from saving,investing is key.And above all,hats off for wanting to get started at such a young age........Great going.

I personally feel that you need to build up some capital before wanting to invest it or trade it.So the importance now of looking for a "lame" job,as you put it.Go to college ,do whatever it takes,study hard,get a job.......and save as much as possible.Don't waste it on all the pubbing and boozing,etc.Save as much as u can................once you have a decent capital,can think of investing/trading.Meanwhile,educate yourself on whatever it takes to be a good trader.Educate yourself through books,seminars,whatever........but use the next few years to educate yourself and simultaneously practice mock trading.You don't need money for that.......

So to your questions,I would simply save that money ........To buy TCS with Rs 5000,max you can buy 3 shares.......so forget trading and investing with that money for now.

To your last question,yes,it's possible.............Once you have built up sufficient capital,and have educated yourself on investing/trading related matters,you can trade for a living.But baby steps for now,my friend.........the important first step is education for now.

Wishing you all the best!
Saint

thanx saint
but i dont neglect education.i like to learn things and i know these subjects such as accounting and other things will help me in future.but i just wanna start learning trading from scratch even it takes 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 pr 5 years or even my whole life.
i wanna be a value investor like warren buffet.man he invested only 100$ not neglecting the fact that his partners contributed much more than that.i just like to learn more and more things about trading.
i think for three years i should just research on few companies and just keep an eye on them .
wat u think saint?
man can u tell me a few books which will give me lot of info on investing in stocks.

alberteinsteinc said:
thanx saint
but i dont neglect education.i like to learn things and i know these subjects such as accounting and other things will help me in future.but i just wanna start learning trading from scratch even it takes 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 pr 5 years or even my whole life.
i wanna be a value investor like warren buffet.man he invested only 100$ not neglecting the fact that his partners contributed much more than that.i just like to learn more and more things about trading.
i think for three years i should just research on few companies and just keep an eye on them .
wat u think saint?
man can u tell me a few books which will give me lot of info on investing in stocks.
Hi AE,

May I repeat myself in telling you again that you have a great attitude,keep that fire going.Never give up on your goal.......you'll find along the way many people who will tell you in many ways how your goal can never be achieved.Hear everyone,but listen only the few who tell you how many ways it can be done.

Great to hear that you are interested in value investing.........once you've decided on that,now teach yourself everything on the subject.Learn as much as you can,however long it takes.Simultaneously,build up ur capital as well.
We have quite a few brilliant fundamental thinkers in this forum as well,so ask your questions when they arise.

As far as books are concerned,there are a whole lot of books that will be of great help to you in the Books Section in this forum.Personally,am not a value investor so can't help you there.

Great going,my friend!
Happy Investing!
Saint

Hi Alberteinstein,.
this is a little bit old fashioned advice from me.
You r still in college so first try to concentrate on studies . Try to get best of education if possible.. money will definately follow...

It s very good attitude from you to ask about investment .. I say education is the best investment at your age. not just traditional but overall!!!

getting good education is like sharpening your most important weapon .. Your mind and intellect...

Hi Alberteinstein,
I m glad u are intested in becoming a value investor. If the 5000 is not ur bread-butter n i suggest u shud look aroung for sound consistent profit growing companies n buy a few share of them at right price. Dont hold urself back from investing. Try ir. U may loose some or all of ur money but the experience u get will take u to the path of being a value investor.
So, Dont be afraid of Mr. Market. Study, Evaluate ur options n Go Play !

- Praveen

Hi Alberteinsteinc,

Good to hear of your intrests and curiosity in stock market at this young age.
First of all since you are still studying concentrate on your studies and get yourself into a good position and a steady good income, stock market and investing in shares will not give a steady income for you every month.

You need to make your mind if you want to be a value investor or a trader, i think your role model is Warren Buffet, to tell you a small info about Warren he earned money by delivering soda saved that and bought a farm land and rented it out to farmers to get a steady income to invest. Follow the same policy (in a different way which may suit u right).

Trading is better than value investing, but for trading you need to have a bit more knowledge about the markets u gonna trade and some knowledge about technicals, you can read books, collect data of the companiesou you like and do a research of the same, try to understand what makes it go up or down, learn a bit of fundamantals also.
There is a very famous book about an boy trader called "Reminiscences Of A Stock Operator" who became to be called as the worlds greatest stock trader, i have the book in a e-book format, in case you are interested to read the same i can send it across to you. Like wise there are lots of books which you can read to gain knowledge, get to know about other traders and their way of trading and info about money management and positions, trends etc.,

I have more to tell you, but im running out of time. Keep posting and sharing, you can get more inputs.

Good luck

regards

Satish