how to invest 20 lakhs

hi

I'm new to trading & investing. Is there really any way we could get better returns than bank fd's. If yes please suggest. I'm willing to take risk and can stay invested long term and willing to put some effort. I'm open to suggestions from the experienced members of this community.

Thanks

Reggie

Mr. Subba,

1. Since you are new to trading and investing please do tread cautiously.

2. The market has already run up quite high, and may have some more upside upto Nov. & Dec. In my opinion, there will be a sharp correction thereafter.

3. The Govt. is on shaky legs and in minority. Politically the scenario is not encouraging as there can be early polls. The market does not like uncertanity and it is one more reason to be defensive.

4. If you wish to invest 20 lacs, you should have a long term horizon of atleast 5 years and beyond. In the short term, whereas bank FD will give you positive return, the market correction can easily take away 30-40% of your capital.

5. If your time frame for investing is beyond 5 years, invest in small bits of either 50 thousand or 1 lac a month, and not all at one time.

7. Your investment should include good scripts. Don't buy something because it is cheap, buy because it has potential and value.

8. Do not rely on tips and brokers who promise to double your money. What they mostly look to is double their money.

9. Take time to read, research and learn to identify good quality companies in niche business and having future growth potential.

10. Ultimately while investing remember, you are finally responsible for your money and you make your own decisions.

All the best.

hi

I'm new to trading & investing. Is there really any way we could get better returns than bank fd's. If yes please suggest. I'm willing to take risk and can stay invested long term and willing to put some effort. I'm open to suggestions from the experienced members of this community.

Thanks

MANISH_DAMANI

Let some genuine correction happen in market.Then enter else you regret. Global senario is also not so good. Stay invested 50 % 60 % in correction and keep some money aside. Buy good stocks like LT, BHEL, AXIS BANK, ICICI BANK, JP ASSOCIATES . Dont buy more than 15-20 scrips. Keep patience book profit time to time when get good appreciation. No body know what 5 yrs ahead is going to happen. I dont say trade like short term trader. Better take help of portfolio managers because this is good amount. Even you can invest in commodities to diversify porfolio. You can do very well if you give some time to learn this art rather than relying on others. Definitely you get very good returns if you move in right way. Else money could be zero. so take care and best of luck.

comm4300

hi

Thanks
FD return these days = 10% [approx.]

Since you are willing to put in some effort; i suggest the following:
a) read, read and read - topics on this forum.
b) select a broker - i suggest Zerodha [RSKV if you are going to be an aggressive intraday trader]
c) identify your trading style - what suits you ? Intraday/swing/Futures or Option strategies. for someone who wants to beat FD returns, i'd suggest Option strategies - spreads/butterflies. Read more about it from posts of AW10, Danpickup and others in this forum.

all the best.

There are many investment opportunities in India. However, you would need to do a detailed study on the investments which come with the risk tag. Investing in mutual funds is recommendable as you will get good returns on the same. There are many mutual funds in the market; hence, suggest you to check out for possible options on the same. All the best!