How to confirm if market or share is in sideways trend

umeshmandal

We can find up and down trend using moving averages, adx etc. but is their a way to tell whether a market or a share is moving sideways or not; quantitatively?.
If you can find up and down trend then I am positive you can also find sideways because the trend can be either up or down or sideways.
So when you use your tools MA , adx and others to find the trend and the result is that it is not in Up trend or on Down trend then be sure its in sideways mode!

kainiteh

Yes, Simple if there are not Higher highs & lows for Uptrend and lower highs & lows for downtrend than it can be considered as sideways most their highs and lows are fall within rectangles, May peanuts and wedge considered as sideways where pressure build at end of breakout any direction.

Flatness of moving average can confirmed sideways

mohan.sic

We can find up and down trend using moving averages, adx etc. but is their a way to tell whether a market or a share is moving sideways or not; quantitatively?.
We cannot find uptrend and downtrend using ADX.

ADX is denoting uptrend because.. the stock is trending with higher high's.

Does ADX indicate uptrend if stock is not moving up ? NO.
Can we stop ADX not indiciating uptrend when stock is moving up ?? NO ..

Having said this, i dont means ADX is useless.

Some indicators like MA's will smoothen out uneven price movements and present the overall picture in a useful way.

Some indicators will measure the momentum in price move and give a picture on strength of the trend.

Different indicators ..diffeent formulaes ..but NOTHING CAN PREDICT THE MoVE ACCURATELY///

** pls dont think that my answer was different to your question. I think i just said it other way.