How to calculate ASI or RSR?

B

bhavana

Namaste Traderji and all forum members,

How to calculate Absolute strength index or relative strength ranking?
Is there any specific formula?
Please help me.

bhavana said:
Namaste Traderji and all forum members,

How to calculate Absolute strength index or relative strength ranking?
Is there any specific formula?
Please help me.
Here is an explanation of how I do it. I should warn you that this type of relative strength ranking is very simplistic but still finds excellent performers. To begin with you will need historical prices of all stocks. Basically what I am trying to do here is to rank each stock on a 1-100 scale based on performance vs all the stocks (100 being the top performer, meaning it has out performed all other stocks in the list)

Here are the steps:

1. I first generate a spreadsheet from the database with the following info:
SYMBOL, CLOSE 60 DAYS AGO, LATEST CLOSE, % CHANGE

NOTE: The close 60 days ago is variable, if you want you can have "Close 1 yr ago".

2. I then create another column where I generate the rank for each stock using Excel or OpenOffice's PERCENTRANK function. The exact formula I use is this (in OpenOffice): FLOOR(PERCENTRANK($D$2:$D$813;D2) * 100;1). Where $D$2:$D$813 is the range for % changes.

That is it. The above procedure will rank all the stocks based on 60 days performance. I am not sure if this is clear. If anyone wants the OpenOffice spreadsheet I can email it to them. I am attaching the CSV file I generated (I have removed some data from the end of the file because I could not upload it - file size limit). The data & symbols in the file are from NSE's website that I have collected & stored in a database.

More sophisticated relative strength ranking takes into account performance over various periods (last month's perf, last 60 days, last 6 months, last 1 yr) and gives weighting to recent data etc. The combinations are many, the idea in this case is to find consistent performers.

--SwingTrader

B

bhavana

swingtrader said:
Here is an explanation of how I do it. I should warn you that this type of relative strength ranking is very simplistic but still finds excellent performers. To begin with you will need historical prices of all stocks. Basically what I am trying to do here is to rank each stock on a 1-100 scale based on performance vs all the stocks (100 being the top performer, meaning it has out performed all other stocks in the list)

Here are the steps:

1. I first generate a spreadsheet from the database with the following info:
SYMBOL, CLOSE 60 DAYS AGO, LATEST CLOSE, % CHANGE

NOTE: The close 60 days ago is variable, if you want you can have "Close 1 yr ago".

2. I then create another column where I generate the rank for each stock using Excel or OpenOffice's PERCENTRANK function. The exact formula I use is this (in OpenOffice): FLOOR(PERCENTRANK($D$2:$D$813;D2) * 100;1). Where $D$2:$D$813 is the range for % changes.

That is it. The above procedure will rank all the stocks based on 60 days performance. I am not sure if this is clear. If anyone wants the OpenOffice spreadsheet I can email it to them. I am attaching the CSV file I generated (I have removed some data from the end of the file because I could not upload it - file size limit). The data & symbols in the file are from NSE's website that I have collected & stored in a database.

More sophisticated relative strength ranking takes into account performance over various periods (last month's perf, last 60 days, last 6 months, last 1 yr) and gives weighting to recent data etc. The combinations are many, the idea in this case is to find consistent performers.

--SwingTrader
swingtrader
Please email OpenOffice spreadsheet .
Email: [email protected]

Hi swingtrader ,how did u manage to get historical data of all the NSE stocks.
And which is the db u r talking bout.
Bhav Copy gives daily data...do u mean to say that u have been downloading it every day ...and updating ur store??

younggenius said:
Hi swingtrader ,how did u manage to get historical data of all the NSE stocks.
And which is the db u r talking bout.
Bhav Copy gives daily data...do u mean to say that u have been downloading it every day ...and updating ur store??
Yes, exactly. I have written a program that downloads the daily BhavCopy from NSE's website everyday and updates it to my database. The database I use is the free database - PostgreSQL. For historical data I had written a program that downloaded old data from BhavCopy archives.

--SwingTrader

Thanks swingtrader for file , the file is in nsc-stock-rank.sxc format will u please give me idea how to open it or a software in which i can open it.

Regards
Harish Chheda