How to calculate ASI or RSR?

vini said:
Nice work done SwingTrader.

Some technical analysts, especially momentum investors, like stocks with high relative strength rankings, believing that stocks which have recently gone up are more likely to continue going up. Other technical analysts believe that a very high relative strength can be an indication that the stock is overbought and is ready to fall. Relative strength is really a "rear view mirror" metric, measuring only how the stock has done in the past, not how it will do in the future.

FLOOR(PERCENTRANK($D$2:$D$813;D2) * 100;1). Where $D$2:$D$813 is the range for % changes.

By this formula ,I got %changes and accordingly ranks.
Please tell me at what rank one should enter by your expirience.

Good job SwingTrader.
I don't think the absolute relative strength rank number can be used as an entry criteria. I use it only to find strong performers and then initiate positions on retracements. I am a swing trader and I need to find stocks that are moving fast and high RS ranked stocks are the ones that fit the bill.

I really don't think that based on RS ranks you can tell if a stock is overbought, for example, if the market as a whole is falling and a particular stock is consolidating or rising slowly, it could have a high RS rank. This is because RS is relative to the whole market and this particular stock is outperforming the whole market so it has high RS but it might not be overbought at all and in fact it might move faster once the market turns bullish. From my experience I have found that high RS ranked stocks at the time when market is falling will continue outperform the market once the market starts to rise.

Just my opinion.

--SwingTrader

Dear AMITBE,
Still waiting for the excel file---If possible mail in:[email protected] me know ur MailID:
Ya u r correct----I am from KOLKATA---
It feels so good to think that--- how easily the bridge between the North and South
been reduced through this forum---I can feel that ---the day when all the Indians,---irrespective of caste ,creed and religion --will become one in the truest sense---is not far away!!!!---
Regards,
joy_mitali

B

bhavana

AMITBE said:
Hi Swingtarder,
I have collected Bhavcopy/closing prices since March 1 2004 in Excel, and now update the daily closing. I am sure you are aware of the problems of doing this daily since scrips get dropped, added on, names change etc. To overcome this I have worked with a friend and written Macros that reconciles the names of scrips via VLOOKUP and so I have an error free copy. At the same time within the same file another page calculates 20, 50, 200 DMA, highlighting the scrips crossing these averages. For easy reference, the preceding 6 day prices are posted against the scrips and their moving averages so one can readily see whether the averages are being crossed from above or below. Another page in the same file calculates the Pivots for all the scrips. I'm quite pleased with the file!! I'm certain you'll figure out the commands.
Hey, but yours seems really cool that auto downloads and updates. Would you explain how buddy? And perhaps send the program?
Thanks. :p
Hi AMITBE,
Will you please send your EXcel file --with the macros
Mial-ID:[email protected]

AMITBE said:
Hi Joy,
I would gladly share the file with you except it's quire large and perhaps not so good through email.
I believe you are in Calcutta...and I'm in Hyderabad.
I could mail it.
Regards.
If u can't send it due to large size U can upload it on http://www.megaupload.com/ and send the link.
Regards
Harish Chheda

AMITBE

Hi there all...
Give me a few days and I'll upload it somewhere along with detailed instructions on how to use it.
My mail id: [email protected]
Thanks.

AMITBE

Hi Joy, Bhavna and others,
Over the weekend I shall try to incorporate swingtrader's absolute relative strength feature into my file. Just give me time.
Thanks.

Hi Swingtrader, Kindly send the program to me too...
Bhavana: Kindly send me the excel with the data..

Am planning to upload the data to SQL server database... Will share with everyone when done.

TIA & Regards

Regarding overbought situations in high RSI stocks, one of the filters used by William O'neal in "Market Wizards" is to buy stocks that have risen only 10% from their consolidation/congestion ranges.So, you can avoid overextended stocks.