how to *act* disciplined in market? help needed!

onlinegtrash

I think I understand markets well but I have a big problem with discipline.

I know exactly what to do but I end up passive or actively start making all known mistakes!

Its slightly bizarre for eg:

When I see my trade start faltering and turning into loss,
I *know* I should exit or atleast I should lighten up the position but
I find it hard and often fail to cut the losses.

I *know* one should cut the losses instead of praying and hoping but
I fail to do it when losses start to mount up and eventually bail with huge loss!

I *know* I should not revenge trade but after losing I go 'all in' to recoup the losses
ofcourse risking beyond feasible level will always end in loss its simple math.

I find a huge gap between knowing & acting, which I am not able to cross.

whats worse, I have even read 'disciplined trader' and I *understand* things
(such as pre-planning trade, defining risk prior entry, following trade plan/MM blah blah) but
I find it hard to act on those understanding.

well you may ask, if you know what's right then why the hell you can't go ahead and do it?
am asking the same question to myself and other successful/learning traders with answers!

In the heat of the moment, it seems my logical brain shuts down and I become logic blind!
How can one avoid such 'logic blindness' ?

I can see this problem in me and others but have no solution so far!
This situation seems to have another parallel, a drug addict who understands his addiction but have no power to overcome it!

Last edited:

stock72

When in violence ,sex, fear , greed etc only two sense ( out of six sense) will work . it is biological problem and not even psychological problem ...

I know exactly what to do but I end up passive or actively start making all known mistakes!

When I see my trade starts faltering and turning into loss,

I fail to do it when losses start to mount up and eventually bail with huge loss!

I *know* I should not revenge trade but after losing I go 'all in' to recoup the losses

(such as pre-planning trade, defining risk prior entry, following trade plan/MM blah blah) but

well you may ask, if you know what's right then why the hell you can't go ahead and do it?
am asking the same question to myself and other successful traders with answers!

In the heat of the moment, it seems my logical brain shuts down and I become logic blind!

onlinegtrash

When in violence ,sex, fear , greed etc only two sense ( out of six sense) will work . it is biological problem and not even psychological problem ...
@stock72 atleast adapting a proper system worked for you!

I have a system but I *override* it with my emotional decisions...
defeating the system all by myself :(

Girls usually say: "always trust your instincts"

for me... "trusting the logic" and acting on it is so hard!
my instincts screws me all the time!

DSM

Online,

1. Consider entering your SL soon after your position has been executed.
2. Do visualization exercise, where you see yourself doing the above 4-5 times each day, and before you sleep and you are awake.
3. Try affirmation that - you trade professionally, you follow rules.
4. Reward/treat yourself when you followed the rules unconditionally.
5. Inspite of all this, ii there is a day you don't follow the rules - consider negative reinforcement - e.g go for extra 5 miles of jogging or such task / or not to trade next day.

(Please ensure that you don't add up too many days of negative reinforcement of point 5 - else you might find yourself one day100-200 miles away from home)

Kidding :) Trust this is of help.

am asking the same question to myself and other successful traders with answers!

This situation seems to have another parallel, a drug addict who understands his addiction but have no power to overcome it!

VJAY

Dear online,
follow what DSM said in abv post....:)
am not a perfect trader...still am now growing to control many.....its happen to me and IMO to all :)...so before any trade you must ready for sl for that trade.......without sl never take any trade...point 1
point 2....never try to cancel/lower your stoploss after entry......MUST try to rigid with these points.....next...which shared by ST da now am started to trying in my trades....when ever trade goes/trading negative after entry for more than 2-3 bars then exit that trade(if sl not hit) though use it with your method if its suits you...
THE LONGER THE DURATION YOUR TRADE REMAINS IN NEGATIVE DIRECTION,THE HIGHER IS THE RISK IN THAT TRADE....This rule posted in TJ one of our member....:)
Hope this helps a small...try to do it from 2morrow ...just stick with it......

onlinegtrash

its as if there is a 'zombie switch' in my head.
Market flips the 'zombie switch' on... takes my money right in front of my eyes.

Ofcourse when the 'zombie switch' is off, I can totally understand everything said here
and vouch to follow them all!

when 'zombie switch' is off I talk like a think tank,
when 'zombie switch' is on am a dead fish in water tank :(

avny

dear,
"In the heat of the moment, it seems my logical brain shuts down and I become logic blind!"
it is natural,our brain is programmed in this way,
but why keep decision pending for "heat moment" ?
take all decision,well ahead of "heat moment"
from your post,i assume that you can decide your entry.stoploss and exit ,well in advance,
so what u should do is to put a stoploss order,as soon as your entry triggered
or better if u can put entry stoploss order and stoploss order at a time
at that time there is no heat and so brain function is normal and u can take decision normally
i myself is a day trader and my most trades are S/R type,based on a setup
so as soon as ,a spot a setup i place a buy stoploss order and at the same time put a sell stoploss order,
as soon as buy order triggers,i will modify my sell stoploss order to double qty
and vice veras
so take decision when u can think clearly,and enjoy the "heat moment"
thanks

stock72

here u r ... this is exact same reason i am saying there is no such a thing called day trading exits ... if you go on watch your position and once market make moves u will definitely move to fear or greed state( depends on your position and market movement ) where only two sense work. so do only positional . get some positional system and trade.

its as if there is a 'zombie switch' in my head.
Market flips the 'zombie switch' on... takes my money right in front of my eyes.

Ofcourse when the 'zombie switch' is off, I can totally understand everything said here
and vouch to follow them all!

when 'zombie switch' is off I talk like a think tank,
when 'zombie switch' is on am a dead fish in water tank :(

VJAY

here u r ... this is exact same reason i am saying there is no such a thing called day trading exits ... if you go on watch your position and once market make moves u will definitely move to fear or greed state( depends on your position and market movement ) where only two sense work. so do only positional . get some positional system and trade.
Dear stock,
IMO in all methods or in any type of trading this things happen...intra/swing /pos in all ...its my personal experience....I hated intraday before...always these problems happened....only traded swing and some positional.....but it had its own problems....may be due to my low cap :)...as you are a good cap trader its always helps in positional.....now am fully confident in intraday trades.....one of the good thing in intraday that we not take any overnight position which effects our sleeps when some news comes after markt ...atleast for me

vishal7176

When I see my trade start faltering and turning into loss,

(before mkt start ....i know everything ....and after mkt close i know each step ....butt on screen ...i dont know ....what happen in my mind.....and i am crazzy......i behave like VAMPIRE.....i trade like MAD. .....If i loose 2k then okk....afer some some i try to cover my money and ...if not cover i try and loose another 2k ....total 4k ....then also okk....again i try to cover ....after each and every step ...my temperanment is HIGH...HIGHER HIGH...and i trade ..more and loose more....and not limit ....it will go up to 15k-25k.....

(i now ....after 5k loss ....i want to stop my trading .....BUTT...whenever in front of screen ....i am MAD about to recover my loss...and trade continue...and make more loss)

am asking the same question to myself and other successful/learning traders with answers!

i am second one...same problem .....since last 3 yr.....and till yet solution for that......if anyone have solution ...i am really happy...

I Want to solution on this problem .....i am really happy .. HOW to control my VAMPIRE MIND.