How long it takes to learn a Programming Language

Aman1

Is there any course specific to learn programming language for trading purpose? How much time will it take to learn a programming language for a beginner for trading purpose?

vagar11

Thanks. which language is preferred nowadays by programers?
If you through C, you will have to learn about many data types and pointers and stuff which will take time and might not be important for you (unless you are going into IT field). And, once the code starts getting big and there is a error due to pointer, you will keep scratching your head.

In you case, python would be the best choice. With python, many libraries are available. Easy to code, easy to learn.

Aman1

Yes bro I 'm getting a first shot at python. Do you have any idea how useful java could be for programming in trading? I have my sights on python and java both.

thanks
Aman1

Aman1

Amit
Ah! I wish I could but I'm using youtube videos. Then will use few books when time permits. I'm working so no fixed time to learn.

vagar11

Yes bro I 'm getting a first shot at python. Do you have any idea how useful java could be for programming in trading? I have my sights on python and java both.

thanks
Aman1
Still Python would be easier than Java.
And you will find many libraries available in python that will help you backtest things.

I just searched and found one library. But, first just start learning.
http://gbeced.github.io/pyalgotrade/

You can start with tutorials on codeacademy or you can search quora for better advice.

Is there any course specific to learn programming language for trading purpose? How much time will it take to learn a programming language for a beginner for trading purpose?
If you can understand the concepts of programming such as pointers, loop, conditional statement etc then its easier to migrate to other languages; only thing you have worry about is the syntax used in the programming. If you are new to programming then I would recommend using C because it will give a good foundation of programming concepts.