how can I get a PAN card from abroad?

I am in the US and would like to get a PAN card.

All the web pages I find say that I should use a relative as my representative in India, but I do not want to involve my relatives. I cannot legally claim to have an address in India; I am an NRI. The form expects an Indian address to be entered.

I found a service at www.nritaxservices.com but they didn't respond to my e-mails.

Is there any way to get a PAN card from abroad?

chuckles,

what you can do is, there is a pdf form available in internet, just search for PAN in net. Also, I have uploaded the forum in the forum, search for it here.

enter your details and send it to india, so that some one can go on your behalf and submit the form. every city has PAN processing centers handled by Bajaj Capital or UTI.

Satya

You may try this link
https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/form49A.html
Select "Individual" from the selection at the bottom of the page.

BTW, You may have to do some research in get your "AO Code" properly.

I applied for PAN last week, and got PAN number within a week.
I paid Rs.66. Their online PAN status tracker
https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/StatusTrack.html
says I have to submit the documents to get the PAN card despatched to my address. Thats all.

HTH

Regards
Sivakumar, Kuwait.

srisara said:
someone means, a relative or your parents. you can give your india address.
My original post said clearly that (a) I do not want to involve my relatives, and (b) I do not have a legal address in India.

So I am not sure why you are telling me the above. My original question was about how an NRI can get a PAN card from abroad.

Thanks to Sivakumar, but I tried your link, and it requires an Indian address.

Last edited:

pkjha30

chuckles said:
My original post said very clearly that (a) I do not want to involve my relatives (they are too old) and (b) I do not have a legal address in India.

So I am not sure why you are telling me to do this. My original question was how an NRI can get a PAN card from abroad.

Thanks to Sivakumar; I will try your link, which looks promising, and see if I can make it work.

Hi Chuckles

Hope this answers your question

25. Who can apply on behalf of non-resident, minor, lunatic, idiot, and court of wards?

Section 160 of IT Act, 1961 provides that a non-resident, a minor, lunatic, idiot, and court of wards and such other persons may be represented through a Representative Assessee. In such cases, application for PAN will be made by the Representative Assessee.
So you can appoint a representative assessee( preferably a tax lawyer on retainership basis) to get your pan and also file returns on your behalf.

You can not apply online.

Pankaj

pkjha30 said:
So you can appoint a representative assessee( preferably a tax lawyer on retainership basis) to get your pan and also file returns on your behalf.

You can not apply online.

Pankaj
Yes, this is the answer to my question, thank you.

The link at www.nritaxservices.com seemed to suggest that they would provide this service, but they would not answer my e-mails.

So the next question would be, does anyone know of a tax lawyer in India who would do this for me.

pkjha30 said:
25. Who can apply on behalf of non-resident, minor, lunatic, idiot, and court of wards?

Section 160 of IT Act, 1961 provides that a non-resident, a minor, lunatic, idiot, and court of wards and such other persons may be represented through a Representative Assessee. In such cases, application for PAN will be made by the Representative Assessee.
Pankaj,

looks like there are many coming here.....we are trying to help him and he his shouting at me.

Satya