how can I get a PAN card from abroad?

chuckles said:
Yes, this is the answer to my question, thank you.

The link at www.nritaxservices.com seemed to suggest that they would provide this service, but they would not answer my e-mails.

So the next question would be, does anyone know of a tax lawyer in India who would do this for me.
As a Chartered Accountant, I would be happy to represent you.

Best Regards,
--Ashish

pkjha30

chuckles said:
Yes, this is the answer to my question, thank you.

The link at www.nritaxservices.com seemed to suggest that they would provide this service, but they would not answer my e-mails.

So the next question would be, does anyone know of a tax lawyer in India who would do this for me.
Hi chuckles

Sorry that I didnot see this post earlier.

There are plenty of tax lawyer and CAs who would be willing to represent you for a charge. If you are not visiting India often then it would be better if you talk to some reliable firms in Delhi/Bombay else you would end up loosing your money. You may have to decide location where to file your returns, it should be a plcae where you might land up while on India trip and easily fix up meeting.Delhi is preferable.
It helps to have a person who is experinced CA or a Tax consultant rather than a simple Lawyer. I would have recommended to you some names but it would be not correct on my part to do so because of some constrains.

While chossing excersie caution.

Pankaj

Thank you for the very helpful replies.

I finally got a response from www.nritaxservices.com and I sent them the fee they wanted (US$40) and the paperwork. I hope they are honest. They wanted me to sign a blank application form and send it to them, plus personal details separately. I did that, after some hesitation.

If I have any trouble with them, I will contact the two previous posters via private message.

sivavkm said:
You may try this link
https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/form49A.html
Select "Individual" from the selection at the bottom of the page.

BTW, You may have to do some research in get your "AO Code" properly.

I applied for PAN last week, and got PAN number within a week.
I paid Rs.66. Their online PAN status tracker
https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/StatusTrack.html
says I have to submit the documents to get the PAN card despatched to my address. Thats all.

HTH

Regards
Sivakumar, Kuwait.

But I thought online pan application was NOT available to non-residents! Are u a NRI? If yes, that means the processed your application inspite you being NRI? Pls reply back soon :)

longshort said:
But I thought online pan application was NOT available to non-residents! Are u a NRI? If yes, that means the processed your application inspite you being NRI? Pls reply back soon :)
That I dont know. I used my India address in their online application form. I got the PAN number after one week, and they asked me to submit support documents for my address proof.

Their intimation email said "PAN has been allotted by Income Tax Department, PAN Card will be despatched on receipt of relevant documents".

Thats all.

For all NRI friends,

Why do I need PAN card for Demat Account?
With effect from April 1, 2006, the regulatory authorities have made it is compulsory to provide PAN card for opening a Demat Account. Besides PAN details will be mandatory for trading in the Capital Market segment with effect from October 1, 2006.

Demat accounts that have been opened in the past without PAN details will have to furnish the same before September 30, 2006 failing which the demat account will be 'Suspended for Debits' which means that delivery instructions shall not be processed by the Depository Participant until you provide the information.

The PAN card requirements apply to all the demat account holders.

How do I go about obtaining a PAN card?
Apply ONLINE for a New PAN card or if you have a PAN number but do not have the PAN card. Simply follow the 3 simple steps given below to help yourself!

Step 1: Online Application form
Visit the website https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/index.html if you are applying for a New PAN (Form 49A) then click this link: https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/form49A.html Or if you have a PAN and want to apply for the PAN Card or / and make some corrections in PAN data then click the link: https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correction.html
Read the detailed Guidelines and Instructions for making an Online Application.
Fill the Online Application Form and click the 'Submit' button at the bottom of the Application Form.
If you have filled the Application Form correctly, you will be provided with a 15-digit acknowledgment number. Please remember to note it down for your ready reference.
Print the Application Form.

Step 2: Modes of Payment
The fee for processing PAN application can be paid by: DD / Cheque or Credit Card.
In case you are making payment by Demand draft or cheque then it should be drawn in favour of 'NSDL - PAN', payable at Mumbai.
In case you choose to pay by credit card you will be taken to the bank gateway where you need to choose the bank and enter the 16-digit credit card no. On successful credit card payment acknowledgement will be displayed. Save and print the acknowledgment and send to NSDL.

Step 3: Checklist and Dispatch
You need to submit the following documents:
Application Form (as stated in Step 1)
Proof of identity (list of options given below)
Proof of Address (list of options given below)
Demand draft / cheque or credit card payment acknowledgment copy
One color Photograph (size 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm)
Proof of PAN in case you are applying for PAN card or change in PAN data

Copy of any one of the following can be submitted as Proof Address:
Electricity bill, Telephone bill, Depository account transaction statement, Credit card statement, Bank account statement, Ration card, Employer certificate, Passport Voters Identity card, Property tax assessment order, Driving License, Rent receipt, Certificate of address signed by Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or Gazetted Officer.

Copy of any one of the following can be submitted as Proof Identity:
School leaving certificate, Matriculation certificate, Degree of a recognized educational institution, Depository account transaction statement, Credit card, Bank account statement, Water bill, Ration card, Property tax assessment order, Passport, Voters Identity Card, Driving License, Certificate of identity signed by Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or Gazetted Officer

Superscribe the envelope with
'APPLICATION FOR PAN - Acknowledgment Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
OR
'APPLICATION FOR PAN CHANGE REQUEST - Acknowledgment Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'​
The documents need to be sent at the following address:
INCOME TAX PAN SERVICES UNIT,
National Securities Depository Limited,
Trade World, ' A' Wing, 3rd Floor,
Kamala Mills Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel
(W), Mumbai - 400013'​

Regards
Siva

Note:-
I got this info from geojit website, but this doesnt mean i am recomending them as your broker.

Siva,

Your responses have been very useful.

I understand that if for some reason an NRI is not able to provide PAN Card by Sept. 30, 2006 for existing DEMAT accounts these accounts will be frozen. Can you please address this scenario which raises following questions.

(1) Does frozen means confiscatkion of assets in DEMAT account?

(2) Does this mean that whenever the PAN card is produced, the accounts can be operated normally i.e. un-frozen and restored to its previous status?

(3) Will there be any penalties for being late and how much?

(4) Can one simply liquidate the account i.e. sell all the shares and take the proceeds in local account where the dividends are deposited?

I will appreciate your answers to these questions. Thanks

Hi Sivakumar,

I am in the US and want to apply for a PAN online. I had a couple of questions as you mentioned you had applied online.

1. The form gives an option of AO "For International Taxation" and "For non-international taxation". Based on the requirements for residency I qualify for non-resident Indian and as such will have to use this AO. Did you also do the same? If so, which AO did you use and how did you go about finding the right AO? (There is a default AO available...did you use that?)

2. What did you give your residential and office address as? Residential - India and Office - Kuwait?

Please let me know.
Thanks a lot in advance!!

Best,
Sandeep

You may try this link
https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/form49A.html
Select "Individual" from the selection at the bottom of the page.

BTW, You may have to do some research in get your "AO Code" properly.

I applied for PAN last week, and got PAN number within a week.
I paid Rs.66. Their online PAN status tracker
https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/StatusTrack.html
says I have to submit the documents to get the PAN card despatched to my address. Thats all.

HTH

Regards
Sivakumar, Kuwait.