Help in selecting mutual funds

New to MF's

I Entered the MF's in april with HDFC Premier Multi Cap fund.Now I am planning to invest in few more funds through SIP.
Following are the funds which I am planning to invest through SIP.

1)HDFC PMCF--1000 rs--SIP is already there
2)HDFC Tax gain--1000 rs
3)Magnum Tax gain--1000 rs
4)Templeton india pension plan--1000 rs.

The templeton india pension plan says 3 years lockin period & 3% exit load if withdrawn before the age of 58.
I am 26 years of age & I am getting a feeling that the time period is too long or may be am going in to pension plan too early.

Is it okay to have 2 TAX saving funds in the profile? I have seen the protfolios of both the funds they are pretty different.

I am also considering few more funds like Franklin blue chip & other similar funds.

Please give me some tips & suggestions on these funds & also let me know few aggressive funds which are doing well.

Bharath

Re: New to MF's

Hi Bharath,
I would advise you to visit www.valueresearchonline.com where you will get considerable information on the funds you are considering for investment. The Mutual Fund section on www.moneycontrol.com is also ok.
HDFC Taxsaver is probably the best in the category, and it has an impeccable record over long periods. Magnum Taxgain has recently been doing well, but it's previous record has not been that good. I would recommend sticking to HDFC Taxsaver only. If you would like to diversify into two ELSS funds, consider Franklin India Taxshield.
Franklin India Bluechip is an excelent fund concentrating on large caps. This is a good fund to be at the core of your equity mutual funds.
I've personally never gone in for pension plans and therefore would not comment on them.
Don't go in for too many funds.. it becomes difficult/tedious to keep a track of them. And over diversification really serves no purpose.
All the best in your mutual fund investments,
Jaspal

Which Mutual Fund to invest in ?

I am new to mutual Funds. I read lot of materials and
quite aware of it. I would like to invest in "Equity: Diversified"
open-ended scheme. I looked at the top 5 funds in this
category i.e Birla Sun life Basic Industries-G (Current Nav: 49.94),
Franklin India (166.97), HDFC Equity(100.94), Magnum Contra (24.61)
and Reliance Growth (176.61). I plan to invest Rs 10000/-.Which
fund should i invest??

Traderji

Super Moderator
Re: Which Mutual Fund to invest in ?

amithjob said:
I am new to mutual Funds. I read lot of materials and
quite aware of it. I would like to invest in "Equity: Diversified"
open-ended scheme. I looked at the top 5 funds in this
category i.e Birla Sun life Basic Industries-G (Current Nav: 49.94),
Franklin India (166.97), HDFC Equity(100.94), Magnum Contra (24.61)
and Reliance Growth (176.61). I plan to invest Rs 10000/-.Which
fund should i invest??
Personally I would suggest you to check out HDFC Equity and Reiance Growth.

Traderji

Super Moderator
Re: Which Mutual Fund to invest in ?

amithjob said:
Traderji,

Thank you for the reply.
But i read an article at
http://www.valueresearchonline.com/story/fwire.asp?str=8281
which says that it will close any fresh investments.
Is it true or we can still buy in this open-ended scheme.
Well if they are still open for investments and since you are making a one-time investment it really does not matter.

SBI blue chip or HSBC Advatage India

hi all,

i am a fresh investor and want to start off by investing in some good mutual fund. I have heard about a couple of new funds and i am considering SBI blue chip or HSBC Advatage India Mutual funds to invest. Which of these shud i choose? I plan to invest 10000/- Plz help

Which Fund to Chose for SIP

I want to start a Long term SIP investment and I have selected 3 funds:
1) "Magnum Emerging Businesses Fund"
2) "Pru ICICI Emerging S.T.A.R. Fund"
3) "Pru ICICI FMCG Fund"
But I want to invest in one of these with amount 2000/- per month for a LONG period. Please suggest which one I should opt for?

Again is Mr. Sandip Sabharwal still managing the "Magnum Emerging Businesses Fund"?

Also I am not sure what does the "FMCG" means for? Please help me to undersatnd this? Is this a Sectoral Fund? If Yes for Which Sector?

Please help me to chose any of these Fund.

Recently I have started investing 1000/- per month as SIP in each Fidelity Equity Birla TOP 100 Funds.

I am also not sure If I get advantage if I opt to SIP.

Regards
Prabhat Nath

Re: Which Fund to Chose for SIP

I would rather go for 1000 Rs SIP for 2 funds and preferably in diversified schemes. Sector specific schemes do not gain advantage from sectors which gets some spurts in short to medium term...

Alok.

nprabhat said:
I want to start a Long term SIP investment and I have selected 3 funds:
1) "Magnum Emerging Businesses Fund"
2) "Pru ICICI Emerging S.T.A.R. Fund"
3) "Pru ICICI FMCG Fund"
But I want to invest in one of these with amount 2000/- per month for a LONG period. Please suggest which one I should opt for?

Again is Mr. Sandip Sabharwal still managing the "Magnum Emerging Businesses Fund"?

Also I am not sure what does the "FMCG" means for? Please help me to undersatnd this? Is this a Sectoral Fund? If Yes for Which Sector?

Please help me to chose any of these Fund.

Recently I have started investing 1000/- per month as SIP in each Fidelity Equity Birla TOP 100 Funds.

I am also not sure If I get advantage if I opt to SIP.

Regards
Prabhat Nath