Hello, professional opinion needed !!!

djsh

Hello all,

I am a newbie. Till now I have been accumulating shares for long like investing in fixed account. Over the past 10 years I have only done buying, sold a few when in need.

But now due to tight budget I am seriously thinking of getting into some active trading that would help me get some frequent returns here and there.

I have attached my excel sheet. I would like to keep 1 or 2 maybe 3 scrips for long term as security and remove the ones that are not good enough for active trading.

Please, can anybody assist me with my portfolio and advise me on which ones I can concentrate on to get some regular returns here and there.

Regards,
Shailesh

d_s_ramesh

You have made some excellent picks though some have been bought at excellently higher prices, still worth the hold. But few of the stocks are in bad shape now, either you liquidate capital drainers and invest that proceeds in a small trading account or you should decide on which ones you are going to hold and those that you are going to dispose off.

If this is a pretty long term holding and you have an acumen for risk I can suggest a simple method. Fix up a time frame like daily or weekly. When the stocks you hold goes off the buy signal on the time frame you have selected sell the stock, then buy back when it again comes to buy.

You can have some decent profits or the cost of holding will come down to some extent. This is one of the alternative to make some small gains instead of keeping the stocks idle. But if you feel to trade, come out with your plan and we can polish it with some ideas.

djsh

You have made some excellent picks though some have been bought at excellently higher prices, still worth the hold. But few of the stocks are in bad shape now, either you liquidate capital drainers and invest that proceeds in a small trading account or you should decide on which ones you are going to hold and those that you are going to dispose off.

If this is a pretty long term holding and you have an acumen for risk I can suggest a simple method. Fix up a time frame like daily or weekly. When the stocks you hold goes off the buy signal on the time frame you have selected sell the stock, then buy back when it again comes to buy.

You can have some decent profits or the cost of holding will come down to some extent. This is one of the alternative to make some small gains instead of keeping the stocks idle. But if you feel to trade, come out with your plan and we can polish it with some ideas.
Thank you. I dont have any experience. Over these years I only purchased those company shares which I thought would be stable and good for long years. I never bought shares with the concept of trading in mind. My concept was only investment. I wanted returns better than putting money in fixed account. Hence i started buying shares. I have had my share of losses too but profits from other shares had covered up those losses.

From past 2-3 months my priorities have changed. I was thinking of withdrawing from the market when a friend introduced me to this very valuable resource - Traderji.com

After going through few posts I thought that I would better do some selling and buying with some help here instead of keeping the stocks idle. For this I want to shorten my portfolio so that I can concentrate on some more active or volatile stocks. Should I remove all scrips and then start trading with the 50% of the gains?

Regards,
Shailesh

d_s_ramesh

No Mr. Shailesh there are some real Gems in your portfolio, don't sell all the holdings. Your intention when you bought into them was long term gains, don't change the plan midway. Those type of behaviors will collapse the smooth sailing ship. Instead sell the weaker onces, those which have lost value not only in your portfolio but also in real terms.

There are some stocks which do not have the shine which they originally had when you had bought them. Sell those, though you may get only a small resource to start with in trading. But starting small is a wise step, having more in the beginning will make us loose concentration. It will end in a down sloping curve.

I can suggest you exits based on my plan of action, but please keep in mind, every person has his own style of operation. What is so very close to my heart as a system would be a waste of thought to some other person in the same realm. But both are good decisions having their own time span for excellence.

Take a few days time to go through this forum and you can find some system which suits your psychology. Once you had identified that, let me know of it. Then it would more useful to give you a clear & effective plan.

I believe this small thought and writing would be of better use to you Mr. Shailesh. Thank you, for providing me an opportunities to re-visit my own days of these experiences in the market

anuragmunjal

Thank you. I dont have any experience. Over these years I only purchased those company shares which I thought would be stable and good for long years. I never bought shares with the concept of trading in mind. My concept was only investment. I wanted returns better than putting money in fixed account. Hence i started buying shares. I have had my share of losses too but profits from other shares had covered up those losses.

From past 2-3 months my priorities have changed. I was thinking of withdrawing from the market when a friend introduced me to this very valuable resource - Traderji.com

After going through few posts I thought that I would better do some selling and buying with some help here instead of keeping the stocks idle. For this I want to shorten my portfolio so that I can concentrate on some more active or volatile stocks. Should I remove all scrips and then start trading with the 50% of the gains?

Regards,
Shailesh

hi Shailesh

just my 2 cents here. I have been in the market for a few years. over the years I have seen that investing small amounts at regular intervals with proper diversification is always a far better policy for the individual investor than trading the markets in an out every other day.
the stock market has a historical tendency of going up and if u have a properly diversified portofolio and invest for a long term , a few shares would go down but others that go up would compensate for them and still give u a handsome return.
99% of all guys who try n change from being an investor to a trader loose everthing.(this is just my personal observation of people that I have come across over the years).
having said that, trading does give above par results to a few individuals who work hard, have patience and confidence in their abilities. if u want to trade, my advise would be not to jump the gun too soon, first try to study and learn and then decide. quoting one of the senior members AW10 here " invest in your 'trading' education first."

regards
Anurag

simple_trader

my 2 cents -

trading is a highly competitive area. It is an area, where people can make raw money in hand immediately just by applying mind. So given this, one can not expect it to be easy, rather extremely hard as many have advantages like getting advance news flow, money power, sophisticated tools & studies.

There are some phases in market, when people may easy money and some phases are extremely difficult. For example, some section of traders made easy money in 2007, some made in 2008, and some made in both 2007& 2008. Currently we are in a phase, it may not be so easy to make money!

All want to get into trading with initial thinking that trading can generate steady income. I guess trading does not generate steady income, it has ups and downs, non-linear flow.

There are some trading approaches, which have high probability in trades but it does not mean that those are less risky. Some option strategies have high probability in terms of hit, when those go wrong, would be risky. It is like 9 out of 10 trades, are successful. But 1 unsuccessful trade has all risk that we earn in 9 trades. If one can negotiate risk of one trade, then option writing can suite for steady trading!

Please have a look at these threads for learning purpose.

http://www.traderji.com/options/36103-picking-up-nickels-front-steamroller-17.html

http://www.traderji.com/options/30597-low-risk-options-trading-strategy-option-spreads-109.html

You do not need to sell your shares of your folio. Those can be used as margin. Also, I think, you do not need to get into trading immediate. Just read those threads and ask questions to the owner of the threads.

Some more threads, which would suite to your requirements. Please read them carefully and ask questions.

http://www.traderji.com/technical-analysis/30428-shs-315-strategy-how-use-if-effectively-142.html

http://www.traderji.com/futures/41903-target-500-nifty-points-per-month-11.html

I am not recommending that you will make money by following these threads or even lose money. I am just saying start with these threads for systematic approach to deal with market.

But also I feel, you need to learn a few more things like how to hedge your position in difficult/uncertain situation.

At last I want to say - trading is a losing game (as 90% traders lose money). But if one try hard, can get into the 10% slots.

Happy trading!

Last edited:

praveen98

hello shaileshji,

Trading is a difficult art to master...so to master it you need time to learn techniques of trading..and to apply those techniques during trading hours. I dont know whether you can give the time needed for this.
Coming to your portfolio you picked some gems at best prices....i will suggest a simple strategy...sell all those loss making stocks....and invest the same into good stocks you already own like reliance,L&t, Bhel,sbi...so that you can hold these stocks in the size of derivative lots...you are already holding sbi in full lot...and then try to learn about the covered call writing ...you sell out of money calls in the begining of the month to have maximum time value...I think this strategy will give reasonable returns on your holdings...

please learn all the facts about this covered call writing strategy and then think if it is suitable to you...if you need any further help in this please send a personal mail

All the best

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Welcome 0
B Introductions 2
R Introductions 0
T Introductions 0
N Introductions 0