Have a look at this DIVERGENCE Indicator

jahan

Jahan,

Yes, what you said is right. Indicator in the chart has given a sell signal.

But I think this cant be called convergence. Convergence means moving towards each other. Divergence means deviating from each other.

Theoretically If price deviates from indicator it falls under Normal divergence. And if Indicator deviates from price it falls under Hidden divergence. But both are divergences. Not convergence.

We trade divergence expecting a convergence. That is if a normal positive divergence occurred ( price lower low and indicator higher low ) we buy it, expecting price will pull back ( convergence )and match with indicator.

But again, even though price and indicator converged, it may not be profitable at all times. That is when convergence happens not because of price pull back but due to side ways movement in the price. If the price moves side ways I/o of pull back, price and indicator will converge naturally after certain period ( time period will be depending on your chart time frame and indicator period.

This is problem while trading divergences on Bounded indicators. This problem can be avoided only to an extent only when we have good understanding of the indicator we are trading, math's behind the indicator construction, and very important factor is how much time a divergence signal stands valid, which depends on the Indicator period we are choosing and time frame of the chart we are trading.

My view is, this problem in trading divergences which raises due to side ways movement in price, can be avoided when non bounded indicators like the one's posted in those charts are used.

Thank you.
Hello,

yes ur right.....iam talking about in relation to Price...."Negative convergence"....what i learned..... means....price negatively converging(going in negative direction).. u know context is same...but ur method of explaining is far superior than mine...Thanks for explaining in detail

Regards,

mohan.sic

Hello,

yes ur right.....iam talking about in relation to Price...."Negative convergence"....what i learned..... means....price negatively converging(going in negative direction).. u know context is same...but ur method of explaining is far superior than mine...Thanks for explaining in detail

Regards,
Jahan,

I got it now. You said Negatively converging which means diverging. Right, its the same context.

regards.

mohan.sic

Jahan,

Yes, what you said is right. Indicator in the chart has given a sell signal.

But I think this cant be called convergence. Convergence means moving towards each other. Divergence means deviating from each other.

Theoretically If price deviates from indicator it falls under Normal divergence. And if Indicator deviates from price it falls under Hidden divergence. But both are divergences. Not convergence.

We trade divergence expecting a convergence. That is if a normal positive divergence occurred ( price lower low and indicator higher low ) we buy it, expecting price will pull back ( convergence )and match with indicator.

But again, even though price and indicator converged, it may not be profitable at all times. That is when convergence happens not because of price pull back but due to side ways movement in the price. If the price moves side ways I/o of pull back, price and indicator will converge naturally after certain period ( time period will be depending on your chart time frame and indicator period.

This is problem while trading divergences on Bounded indicators. This problem can be avoided only to an extent only when we have good understanding of the indicator we are trading, math's behind the indicator construction, and very important factor is how much time a divergence signal stands valid, which depends on the Indicator period we are choosing and time frame of the chart we are trading.

My view is, this problem in trading divergences which raises due to side ways movement in price, can be avoided when non bounded indicators like the one's posted in those charts are used.

Thank you.
Deal all,

example for above post is this image.

How the side ways price action effects a indicator movement. This applies to all momentum bounded indicators.

thanks.

Last edited:

mohan.sic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is lead chart with volume pls explain

Abhishek
Abhi,

Any pattern you trade, don't violate the rule "DO NOT TRADE AGAINST THE TREND"

About the lead hourly chart:

1) It is not appearing as a valid divergence.

Reasons: If we are trading a negative divergence there should be a rally before that. Rs 5 movement in 5 trading sessions is not rally. And the price movement looks more like a consolidation pattern. Now observe that chart carefully RSI was at 70 few bars back and now 50 at the current bar ( 20 points down ) but the change in the price is hardly Rs 1. If price consolidates at the same level for another few days RSI may touch 35- 40 levels but still price will be at the same level. Then if price resumes its trend and move upwards this turns out to be a Invalid divergence.

All divergences are not valid.

* Trade divergence signals in the direction the TREND.
* Do not trade Normal divergences alone. Trade in combination of Normal divergence and hidden divergences.

In the above example of LEAD if price remained at the same level and had if RSI came down to 35 - 40 levels, It would give a positive Hidden divergence in RSI. ( indicator lower low and price higher low ). This would give us a clue to exit from our short position before our stop gets hit.

thanks.

XRAY27

Last edited:

amitrandive