Have a look at this DIVERGENCE Indicator

rkkarnani

Wow !! What an amazing explanations to justify something !! Bravo Bravo !!

You must have noted the the thread title. My purpose of the very first post was to educate the guy that instead of gettin confuse Divergences could be checked by RSI for better results.

Instead, though you have no specific information about the indicator, you simply put on your nose with negative convergence. Could you please describe what are the effects of convergences and without those things what traders community could have lost something.
Dev Da, You need not get hyper , here the person is genuinely explaining the matter and not doing it to simply "justify" something. The explanation is by a third person and not the thread owner so he has nothing to justify !
Do explain for the benefit of all, why you think the first "divergence" had failed mercilessly?

Dev Da, You need not get hyper , here the person is genuinely explaining the matter and not doing it to simply "justify" something. The explanation is by a third person and not the thread owner so he has nothing to justify !
Do explain for the benefit of all, why you think the first "divergence" had failed mercilessly?
Since the thread name/topic is about Divergence we must consider all the divergences with similar view only. Now In the chart attached here three divergences are there. If we have to compare with divergences then first one is failed.

If we have to consider convergence (that somehow first one is justified) then others two also we have to justify in that perspective only.

Its not individual choice that we could use the indicators partially in a single chart vis-e-vis vision ( First Negative convergence than again positive Divergence) simply for justifying an indicator or systems.

mohan.sic

Okay! Seems have a hell of a lot to learn even for getting the "basics" ! Thanks for clarifying. Though I always thought divergence direction was governed by the Indicator ! If indicator is making Higher Highs and Price is making Lower Highs, the price would ultimately follow the indicator.
Though I do not look for divergences, but shall surely update myself by going through more on the subject. Thanks again.
rkkarnani,

In brief, Divergence can be classified into 1) Normal divergence and 2) Hidden divergence. Normal divergence can have positive divergence which is buy signal and Negative divergence which is sell signal. The same way Hidden divergence also can positive or negative but works the other way.

Google it. You can find many articles.

And the thread name is precise. All these come under DIVERGENCE.

Thanks.

XRAY27

mohan.sic

Hello,

sir,the first on first chart is called "Negative convergence"...indicator has higher high..and price has lower-high----the Indicator is precisely given the Short-signal....

Negative divergence...means when price makes higher-high and indicator makes higher-lows....this for Sell....opposite of this .i.e positive Divergence for Buy....

the Indicator is may be based on Volume-Momemtm or Momemtm-volume.

Regards,
Jahan,

Yes, what you said is right. Indicator in the chart has given a sell signal.

But I think this cant be called convergence. Convergence means moving towards each other. Divergence means deviating from each other.

Theoretically If price deviates from indicator it falls under Normal divergence. And if Indicator deviates from price it falls under Hidden divergence. But both are divergences. Not convergence.

We trade divergence expecting a convergence. That is if a normal positive divergence occurred ( price lower low and indicator higher low ) we buy it, expecting price will pull back ( convergence )and match with indicator.

But again, even though price and indicator converged, it may not be profitable at all times. That is when convergence happens not because of price pull back but due to side ways movement in the price. If the price moves side ways I/o of pull back, price and indicator will converge naturally after certain period ( time period will be depending on your chart time frame and indicator period.

This is problem while trading divergences on Bounded indicators. This problem can be avoided only to an extent only when we have good understanding of the indicator we are trading, math's behind the indicator construction, and very important factor is how much time a divergence signal stands valid, which depends on the Indicator period we are choosing and time frame of the chart we are trading.

My view is, this problem in trading divergences which raises due to side ways movement in price, can be avoided when non bounded indicators like the one's posted in those charts are used.

Thank you.

mastermind007

Timepass,

Big thanks for this.

Just been through the link, I think anil trivedi did good work on this. There were charts posted by him with similar ideas.

regards.
Do you use Metastock? I had coded an Indicator and EA on this few years ago. From what I remember, It does need lot of corrections and then I discovered AMI so stopped with Metastock altogether.

I also have the generic code (by someone else) for NinjaTrader. Ami I've not coded.