General Trading Chat

Rare to see such a screwup from Airtel.

How India's $2.7 Trillion Stock Market Came to a Dead Stop Collared by Two Telecom Lines
https://www.news18.com/news/busines...op-collared-by-two-telecom-lines-3471959.html

Interestingly, NSE is not using Jio so far. Maybe now they will get nudged in that direction :)
Telecom lines are unreliable.In this case both the telecom lines failed at the same time.VSat is a much better connectivity from NSE to brokers and then brokers can connect to clients on internet lines. Cost of having a VSat line is hardly rs 10 K per month and most brokers can afford both telecom/internet and also VSat connectivity. If there was V Sat connectivity , the issue could have been much smaller. 10 years ago all brokers ( and also some large trader clients ) used to have VSat connectivity but these days internet is so cheap that brokers may not be having VSat connectivity .

My broker in Mumbai had allowed VSat connectivity to me and I used it for 5-6 years and there was not a single instance of connectivity failure. There were 2-3 instances of some software getting corrupt but it was resolved in 1-2 hours max. In past I had used leased lines also and leased line connectivity is at the mercy of road digging,the signal passing through multiple exchanges and the exchange staff maintaining the uptime of these lines etc

Smart_trade

Last edited:
Telecom lines are unreliable.In this case both the telecom lines failed at the same time.VSat is a much better connectivity from NSE to brokers and then brokers can connect to clients on internet lines. Cost of having a VSat line is hardly rs 10 K per month and most brokers can afford both telecom/internet and also VSat connectivity. If there was V Sat connectivity , the issue could have been much smaller. 10 years ago all brokers ( and also some large trader clients ) used to have VSat connectivity but these days internet is so cheap that brokers may not be having VSat connectivity .

My broker in Mumbai had allowed VSat connectivity to me and I used it for 5-6 years and there was not a single instance of connectivity failure. There were 2-3 instances of some software getting corrupt but it was resolved in 1-2 hours max. In past I had used leased lines also and leased line connectivity is at the mercy of road digging,the signal passing through multiple exchanges and the exchange staff maintaining the uptime of these lines etc

Smart_trade
Sir, I beg to be different here. Wired technology such as Fiber is better/efficient than VSAT communication in terms of latency (delay in to and fro communication of data). Also fiber based circuits have high capacity of carrying data comparatively VSAT. VSAT was popular 10 years back as there was lesser investments in deploying fiber by telcos for penetration reasons.

VSAT is best for communication in remote areas.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Sir, I beg to be different here. Wired technology such as Fiber is better/efficient than VSAT communication in terms of latency (delay in to and fro communication of data). Also fiber based circuits have high capacity of carrying data comparatively VSAT. VSAT was popular 10 years back as there was lesser investments in deploying fiber by telcos for penetration reasons.

VSAT is best for communication in remote areas.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
VSat could be used as a back up so in case of telecom lines failure, shift to VSat.