General Trading Chat

madank

Market participant
One of the members gave a great suggestion on the thread via private message (thx so much :) ) - start two threads, one in members discussion forums where only thread starter can post and others can read, so that the flow of thoughts won't get disturbed/digressed. And another thread for follow up discussion on the topic posted in Members thread (here, we will have interactions from everyone) - this sounds like a great idea. So, will implement this.

Was thinking of posting 1 topic per week and we will have discussions on it in the other thread. Would really appreciate if we can make this interactive and all kinds of opinions(even negative/mildly insulting) are welcome :) ). Opinions and disagreements can invigorate our thought process more - i strongly believe that and hence, feel free to write your contrary opinions as well (remember this is a discussion - not a ego-winning war .. So, i will not engage myself into ego fights..when we cut the oxygen, fire will get automatically doused :) )

Sometimes, a single topic can span into multiple sub-topics and hope its fine. I have created a rough list of things i want to discuss(this is what i have in my mind currently). I might add more as things go by. Have put a lot of thought into topics and would not want to discuss any bookish/theoretical stuff here. Want to discuss something that can be used right away(tangible) and relevant to real trading. So, avoided most of the topics that we see in common trading books (atleast tried to :) )

Please let me know if you want add anything else to this list. If you notice carefully, most of these topics were never discussed in known trading books but i feel they are very important in their own way.

Guess we all are gonna have some fun !!

Here is the list of topics(per week) - not necessarily in that order.

1. Minimum starting funds to trade – why under-capitalization is one of the most important reasons for failure in trading?

2. Mentoring – How difficult it is to find a mentor in the world of posers and other aspects of mentoring

3. Can simple directional trading work?

4. Common newbie trader woes and fixes – hurdles of trading

5. Increasing trading size gradually. Why ‘taking an elevator’ (increasing size faster) is a sure-shot way for disaster

6. Psychology in trading – is it over-rated? Is it an hoax?

-- This can actually span into multiple topics and weeks

7. What shift in psychology made you profitable in trading? - Discussions

8. A system’s basic tenets and Backtesting systems

-- again, this could span multiple weeks

9. What is ‘edge’ in a system? How important is the edge of a system? Is the word ‘edge’ over rated?

10. The real trading holy grail – Execution.

11. Money management in trading (and exit strategies – types) and importance of ‘withdrawing’ funds regularly

12. Trading office and importance of official data/backup PC/Internet

13. Why trading journal is more important than your holy-grail indicator?

14. Handling trading emergencies – related to having backup plans and handling gaps against us

15. Law of large numbers

16. Consistently profitable traders are risk averse or risk takers? J

17. Failure and success stories of trading – various trading styles – gap only trader, earnings traders, spread traders – stories of failure traders and learnings

18. Ancillary businesses of trading – trading education, tips service, indicator selling

19. If 90% of the traders fail, why not just do the opposite? :) This will be an interesting topic

20. Scaling in vs All in and Scaling out vs All out in entry/exits

21 Fixed targets vs trailing stops

22. Pyramiding – is it reserved only for pros? When to start pyramiding?

23. What is ‘mental ceiling’ – why are we not able to maximize our potential beyond a certain point?

24. What is our greatest weakness and how it is affecting our trading day in/day out?

25. Software for trading Indian markets and data related.

26. Why traders blow-up accounts? – How to avoid them?

27. Weekly/monthly goals in trading – (most day-traders and some swing traders have it)

28. Charting colours and their effect on our mind - another interesting topic

29. YOU are the separating factor between success and failure in trading – not indicators

30. Our Mind and trading success – how both are interconnected

I know how to open the members only thread..can someone please let me know a suitable sub-forum topic to open the other thread(like under which forum topic, we should open this discussion thread)

amitagg

Crude Oil Trader
One of the members gave a great suggestion on the thread via private message (thx so much :) ) - start two threads, one in members discussion forums where only thread starter can post and others can read, so that the flow of thoughts won't get disturbed/digressed. And another thread for follow up discussion on the topic posted in Members thread (here, we will have interactions from everyone) - this sounds like a great idea. So, will implement this.

Was thinking of posting 1 topic per week and we will have discussions on it in the other thread. Would really appreciate if we can make this interactive and all kinds of opinions(even negative/mildly insulting) are welcome :) ). Opinions and disagreements can invigorate our thought process more - i strongly believe that and hence, feel free to write your contrary opinions as well (remember this is a discussion - not a ego-winning war .. So, i will not engage myself into ego fights..when we cut the oxygen, fire will get automatically doused :) )

Sometimes, a single topic can span into multiple sub-topics and hope its fine. I have created a rough list of things i want to discuss(this is what i have in my mind currently). I might add more as things go by. Have put a lot of thought into topics and would not want to discuss any bookish/theoretical stuff here. Want to discuss something that can be used right away(tangible) and relevant to real trading. So, avoided most of the topics that we see in common trading books (atleast tried to :) )

Please let me know if you want add anything else to this list. If you notice carefully, most of these topics were never discussed in known trading books but i feel they are very important in their own way.

Guess we all are gonna have some fun !!

Here is the list of topics(per week) - not necessarily in that order.

1. Minimum starting funds to trade – why under-capitalization is one of the most important reasons for failure in trading?

2. Mentoring – How difficult it is to find a mentor in the world of posers and other aspects of mentoring

3. Can simple directional trading work?

4. Common newbie trader woes and fixes – hurdles of trading

5. Increasing trading size gradually. Why ‘taking an elevator’ (increasing size faster) is a sure-shot way for disaster

6. Psychology in trading – is it over-rated? Is it an hoax?

-- This can actually span into multiple topics and weeks

7. What shift in psychology made you profitable in trading? - Discussions

8. A system’s basic tenets and Backtesting systems

-- again, this could span multiple weeks

9. What is ‘edge’ in a system? How important is the edge of a system? Is the word ‘edge’ over rated?

10. The real trading holy grail – Execution.

11. Money management in trading (and exit strategies – types) and importance of ‘withdrawing’ funds regularly

12. Trading office and importance of official data/backup PC/Internet

13. Why trading journal is more important than your holy-grail indicator?

14. Handling trading emergencies – related to having backup plans and handling gaps against us

15. Law of large numbers

16. Consistently profitable traders are risk averse or risk takers? J

17. Failure and success stories of trading – various trading styles – gap only trader, earnings traders, spread traders – stories of failure traders and learnings

18. Ancillary businesses of trading – trading education, tips service, indicator selling

19. If 90% of the traders fail, why not just do the opposite? :) This will be an interesting topic

20. Scaling in vs All in and Scaling out vs All out in entry/exits

21 Fixed targets vs trailing stops

22. Pyramiding – is it reserved only for pros? When to start pyramiding?

23. What is ‘mental ceiling’ – why are we not able to maximize our potential beyond a certain point?

24. What is our greatest weakness and how it is affecting our trading day in/day out?

25. Software for trading Indian markets and data related.

26. Why traders blow-up accounts? – How to avoid them?

27. Weekly/monthly goals in trading – (most day-traders and some swing traders have it)

28. Charting colours and their effect on our mind - another interesting topic

29. YOU are the separating factor between success and failure in trading – not indicators

30. Our Mind and trading success – how both are interconnected

I know how to open the members only thread..can someone please let me know a suitable sub-forum topic to open the other thread(like under which forum topic, we should open this discussion thread)

I think you should end at 15. Others are offshoots mostly.

If you cover each topic every week and few topics may have sub-topics then its a full 4yrs Syllabus. :)
(that was a light joke)

Pls add this point for me-

31th Point-Scalping Success : Myth vs Reality.
I'm very happy to read your 1st point on your list(1. Minimum starting funds to trade – why under-capitalization is one of the most important reasons for failure in trading?)

I think under-capitalization should not be the problem as initial capital can be build by Scalping if done in a right way.

I'm looking for your detailed POV on it.
Long back,I tried to forward my query to G Bhardwaj (Successful Scalper Zerodha Winner),but it remained unanswered.

-thax

:joyful:

Last edited:
Hi below is the snap shot of an article published in economic times on 25 oct 2017- 8.00am. I would like to understand how they concluded/arrived at 155 as breakeven point for that 24500CE. Please enlighten on that point if any one has knowledge about it. I would really appreciate that. Thanks

upload_2017-10-28_22-9-30.png

Hi below is the snap shot of an article published in economic times on 25 oct 2017- 8.00am. I would like to understand how they concluded/arrived at 155 as breakeven point for that 24500CE. Please enlighten on that point if any one has knowledge about it. I would really appreciate that. Thanks

View attachment 23186
Please post the link to this article.
What is the eod value of 24500C on 24th.
I also would like to learn this option value calculation.

Last edited:

manojborle

On 24th banknifty had closed at 24222 so isn't 24500 CE otm call for call sellers ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Yes Manojborle, on 24th oct 24500CE was OTM for call sellers