General Trading Chat

TraderRavi

low risk profile
'Nifty fall capped at 7500, but high time BJP introspects'

Market experts don't expect a massive selloff on Monday owing to BJP's defeat, but agree that Nifty could fall to lower levels of 7500-7600
While the Indian equity market had factored in a defeat for the ruling BJP party in Bihar, what came as a surprise to many is the margin with which the Grand Alliance of JD(U)-RJD-Congress won the elections.
Market experts don't expect a massive sellout on Monday owing to BJP's defeat, but agree that the Nifty could fall to lower levels of 7600. Speaking to CNBC-TV18, Ajay Srivastava of Dimensions Capital says the landslide defeat was not expected by anyone. So while the market will, on Monday, see greater length of sluggishness, liquidity will define the market movement.
However, Vikas Khemani is just a tad bit more bearish expecting the Nifty to trade anywhere between 7800-7500 tomorrow. However, he is not too alarmed by this prediction as he is convinced foreign institutional investors (FIIs) will jump into the market at lower levels as they have been sitting on the sidelines for long. With that, atleast traders' worries are out of the way. But will that be a luxury India's ruling political party can enjoy? Industry and policy experts say a loud and consensus 'No'.

Mohandas Pai, Chairman, Manipal Education Group and ex-Infosys Director says the BJP defeat is proof of only one thing: the Indian people are not seeing any changes on a grassroot level compared to the hype that was created by the government. The message of the kind of leader Prime Minister Narendra Modi is, too seems to be getting very diluted, says Pai, adding that he seems cold to the industry and should start meeting more Indians here on. "Foreign investors can walk-in and take meetings. The Prime Minister goes to the Valley and meets Mark Zuckerberg and Sundar Pichai and everybody else but I think he has to meet more of Indians. He should have come to Bengaluru and met the IT industry before he went to the Silicon Valley. He would have understood what people want," adds Pai.

MK Venu of Amar Ujala, agrees. " I think the brand Modi is coming down a few notches after Bihar elections. I am saying this because Modi is a man who made Delhi as a presidential contest but Delhi is a small state. So Modi like Indira Gandhi was on a mission to nationalise state elections. So he has to now bear the consequences," he highlights. But this defeat should be used as an opportunity, Venu highlights. "What this defeat and extent of defeat will do is that it will have a positive effect. I think he (Modi) will now get down to doing some serious policy work because every year there are elections: like next year is West Bengal and Amit Shah has said that West Bengal is very important and Assam, they have to capture the east and a year after that is Uttar Pradesh (UP) and UP is mother of all elections," says Venu.

RS Ramasubramaniam, Co-Chairman, Feedback Infrastructure says the defeat in Bihar suggests that the electorate is not buying mere empty promises. "It wants execution. If the government at the Centre takes this message of execution, it will have an impact on the overall economy. So, the point is right that infra and the economy is going to get impacted by either Rajya Sabha mandate or by Bihar elections. It is going to be upon execution and therefore the question is, will this government really takes the opportunity of going forward on that," concludes Ramasubramaniam.

Read more at: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/ma...ospects39_4056001.html?utm_source=ref_article

wisp

i wish they promote the way on eid for no animal killing and new year for crackers too...

http://best-hypocrisy.blogspot.hk/2014/10/why-no-crackers-is-misleading-campaign.html

The West Bengal government put a restriction on crackers during Diwali long ago, but it still is the most polluted state without crackers.
Well, it is not just Muslims who eat meat!! Meat eating is part of human culture including Indian. About Crackers, yes definitely new year or any other celebration, sports win, party win, in every case it has to be avoided if it is harming others. Anyway, I think better leave this topic so things dont get ugly here at Traderji.

Last edited:

prst

The people trying to divide India by caste, finally will fail for sure...

Indians are very matured compared to 1947...People of India will never allow 1947 repeats..
But the bihar election was won by lalu on basis of caste

prst

Not sure about the reaction, but possibly Anupam Kher will lead a protest march of film stars, if there is a fall in market on BJP's loss.
Tat is not required . Next round of award wapsi will begin during the next state elections .

Worst than CNBC analysts, contra trend is correct
what use of are exit polls if they are misleading and far off from actual results .
most of them show neck to neck fight but bjp was nowhere in the contest.
something wrong in their methods.
YES

just yesterday Yogendra Yadav (perhaps oldest & most senior psephologist & Ex-AAP) posted this -

Yogendra Yadav
Yesterday at 1:40pm ·
Grand Alliance headed for majority: My take on Bihar poll forecasts

Habits of previous birth die hard. So, I have been following all the exit polls and media reporting on Bihar elections with a lot of interest. I did not get into making a forecast, for I did not have to. Also, I did not have access to survey data, nor did I travel to Bihar this time (I was busy with yatra of drought affected areas through the country).

Now that the last vote is cast and all the polls and forecasts are out I can offer my take without fear of being misunderstood, except by die-hards who detect a conspiracy in everything. Statutory warning: I have no special access to any secret poll; my reading is based purely on electoral commonsense and some experience in reading exit polls over the years.

I think the Grand Alliance is headed for a clear, perhaps even comfortable, majority. If my reading is correct, its tally could go well beyond the highest forecast of 130 seats.

My reasoning is as follows. Over the last two decades, almost all exit polls have over-estimated the BJP or the alliance favoured by the upper caste. This error could be anything between 2-4% points.

This is not due to any upper caste conspiracy (no media house wants to get its exit poll wrong) but due to a sampling bias built in the methodology of exit polls.
When you stand outside the polling booth, the voters who agree to be interviewed tend to be more from powerful social groups.
Although the situation has changed a lot in the last two decades, the voters from weaker communities are less likely to speak the truth in public.

This error could be decisive in a close election like this one. All the polls are reporting that the difference between the two main rivals is around 1-2% votes. They also tell us that this has been a very polarising elections where the upper castes and OBCs (but not SCs) are sharply divided.
So the sampling and reporting error would work almost entirely against the Grand Alliance (with the exception of BJP's dalit allies).

Assuming that the error is around 2%, the findings of all the polls should be adjusted to reduce NDA vote share by 2% points and increase GA by 2%.

This would dramatically change the balance in favour of the Grand Alliance, which would enjoy a lead of 3-5% over the NDA.
(Please note that the CSDS survey, which uses post-poll and not exit poll, reported in the Indian Express today, projects a 4% lead for Grand Alliance.
I have nothing to do with that survey any more, but continue to trust its methodology and fieldwork more than anything else)
In a straight bipolar contest, it could give the GA a clear majority.

One fine point that could help the GA in translation of votes into seats.

The polls suggest (NDTV poll brought it out clearly) that this election has levelled the difference between different regions.
In this situation, a small lead in terms of votes would be spread fairly evenly and could yield lots of seats to the leading party.
To make matters worse for the NDA, it appears to be doing much better in urban areas.

Concentration of votes in urban pockets could give NDA big victories in the few urban seats but leave it more vulnerable against the GA in the overwhelmingly rural Bihar.

As I said, all this is pure speculation, devoid of any fresh evidence or political motives.

Everyone is welcome to have fun at my expense tomorrow if this proves mistaken.