Emotional aspects of trading

primitivetrader

How do you deal with frustration, self-doubt, and other emotional aspects of trading?
first, start accepting them, and second learn to manage them. trading at its core is about being uncomfortable be it for new traders or seasoned traders. both feel all the aspects you have mentioned but their approach to manage and accept them is very different.

Pradeep Narayan

How do you deal with frustration, self-doubt, and other emotional aspects of trading?
I asked myself - what made me decide on taking up stock trading? What was I like when I made that decision? Did I not accept the risks associated with loss of income and financial security when I took that leap? Why did I opt for trading than for running a restaurant or something else?

I realized that I was sane when I took the decision and also that it was a carefully thought out decision. When I became more confident that my decision was correct, I realized that the present situations are just demons that my mind is making up - every bit of this frustration, hopelessness, doubt etc were only within me.

Once I realized the trouble was within me -more specific in my mind only, I could just focus my mind on trying to seek out why I could not succeed in that trading session - what went wrong & what could be avoided. This opened up the real world of trading to me!

Last edited:
Trading is like spirituality or even games. it's mean there is not single truth so you have to find your own truth & believing in your own experience . for example if your temper is like kohli then you will act like kohli in frustration or your temper is like Dravid then you behave like it. what's your own personality follow and improve that.

Secondly self-doubt is good thing , simply it is telling you now to improve in that direction it may math, statistics, behavior, knowledge etc. which last mistake/s push you in self doubt hell ,is it higher loss or higher leverage, unfamiliar pair or instrument or small quick profit , or little bit gambling attitude or feeling like you are the market maker and know everything trade etc find that and improve.

For emotional just accept it that we have emotion , we are human. you have to give some credit to Luck specially in trading. it may be controversial or even wrong but you have to do it. small portion of Luck will apply to both your profit and your loss.

Frustration and self-doubt are very natural feelings while trading. But one must understand that losses are part of trading life. You can’t have profits everyday. You should accept your losses and should learn from them so that you refrain from repeating the same mistake again.

You can’t get these out of your mind until you are a human. Emotions come with the experiences. Your learning graph is not always a straight line going up, it's like a sine wave, sometimes you experience losses and sometimes gains. Practice regular trades and this will help you to evolve your trading strategies.

You can’t get these out of your mind until you are a human. Emotions come with the experiences. Your learning graph is not always a straight line going up, it's like a sine wave, sometimes you experience losses and sometimes gains. Practice regular trades and this will help you to evolve your trading strategies.
I agree with you buddy. Emotions are quite obvious and you can overcome your emotions only when you have complete knowledge of the market.