Elder's Therm and safezone

Traderji

Super Moderator
tsk1979 said:
Hi,
Can anybody explain whats Elders market thermometer and Elders safezone and how to use them?
Elder Market Thermometer
The Market Thermometer is described in COME INTO MY TRADING ROOM, page162. It measures the Temperature of the market, as indicated by greater or lesser intraday ranges. Extra 'cold' and extra 'hot' zones that tend to precede major moves, and they are marked with different colours.

Elder SafeZone
The "SafeZone Stop" indicator is described in Dr. Alexander Elder's book _Come Into My Trading Room_, page 173. This strategy implements a reversal system for placing protective stops. It clearly marks stops for long and short trades with different colors.

AMITBE

CreditViolet said:
Dont bother..Its crap :)

CV
:eek:
If the idea is to learn and self-educate as a beginning to anything, perhaps people should be left alone to discover what really is crap.
Amit.

Shri Traderji,

Thank you for your references to Dr. Elder's book. I do not have that book. Could you please help me with more information on Elder Market Thermometer and interpretation of the Elder Force Index.

Traderji.com, I whole-heartedly believe, is a lively, helpful forum for both the experienced and aspiring trader.

Let it not be made the refuge of the cynical trader. Who can say for sure? Maybe tsk1979 may invent novel ways of using Elder's indicators. He should'nt be discouraged.

I apologise both to you and Shri Amitbe for addressing this post wrongly earlier.

pksam

Last edited:
C

CreditViolet

AMITBE said:
If the idea is to learn and self-educate as a beginning to anything, perhaps people should be left alone to discover what really is crap.
Amit.
However its much more imperative to save a newbie from reading and believing the kind of crap thats dished out as TA.

CV

AMITBE

CreditViolet said:
However its much more imperative to save a newbie from reading and believing the kind of crap thats dished out as TA.

CV
You may want to take a few minutes to say exactly why it's crap. Let the newbie then read and figure out.
It'll support the learning culture here.

Hello,

I am posting here an extract from Dr. Alexander Elder's book Come Into My Trading Room.

Elders Thermometer

Market thermometer helps differentiate between sleepy, quiet periods and hot episodes when market crowds become excited. It can help one to adapt trading to the current environment.
Quiet markets typically have narrow bars that tend to overlap one another. Hot, boiling markets tend to have wide bars whose highs and lows extend far outside the previous days range. Beginners jump into trades during those wide bars, afraid to miss a runaway move. If one enters when the markets are quiet, the slippage is likely to be lower. Hot markets are good for taking profits because then slippage may work in your favor.
Market Thermometer measures how far the most extreme point of today, either high or low, protrudes outside of yesterdays range. The greater the extension of todays bar outside of yesterdays the higher the market temperature.
The formula of Market Thermometer,
Temperature = the greater of either (High today - High yesterday) or (Low yesterday - Low today)
Market temperature is always a positive number, reflecting the absolute
Value of either the upward or the downward extension of yesterdays
Range, whichever is greater. Plot temperature as a histogram
Above zero. Calculate a moving average of market temperature, and
Plot it as a line on the same chart. When markets are quiet, the adjacent bars tend to overlap. The consensus of value is well established, and the crowd does little buying or selling outside of yesterdays range. When highs and lows exceed
their previous days values, they do so only by small margins. Market
Thermometer falls and its EMA slants down, indicating a sleepy market.
When a market begins to run, either up or down, its daily bars start
pushing outside of the previous ranges. The histogram of Market Thermometer
grows taller and crosses above its EMA, which soon turns up,
confirming the new trend.
Market Thermometer gives four trading signals, based on the relationship between its histogram and its moving average :

1. The best time to enter new positions is when Market Thermometer
falls below its moving average.When Market Thermometer falls below its EMA, it indicates that the market is quiet.
2. Exit positions when Market Thermometer rises to triple the height of its moving average.
3. Get ready for an explosive move if the Thermometer stays below its moving average for five to seven trading days.
4. If you are a short-term trader and are long, add the value of todays Thermometer EMA to yesterdays high and place a sell order there. If you are short, subtract the value of the Thermometers EMA from yesterdays low and place an order to cover at that level.

Regards

Roneeth

Shri Roneeth,

Thank you very much for your detailed excerpts on Elder's Thermometer.

Please could you also throw some light on interpreting Elder's Force Index. I try to study it using a 13 day and a 2-day parameter.

Thank you once again.

pksam