Edward Pottasch AFL ? bcoz its keep changing " entry levels"??

A newbie question...
If a forward looking code keeps integrating fresh data, wouldn't be repainting considered normal and a point of strength ?
i would say that to be able to build a trading system you need to know that lines or patterns you use in your system will not suddenly disappear. So if you do a backtest and that looks great but then you do a playback in Amibroker and see that signals appear and later disappear (and they are always the loser trades), then there is a problem.

I looked a bit more at Edakads code and it is very good. I am adjusting my pivots to his. Then it is just the last pivots that could change (repaint)

At some point I will add a modernised version of, not his complete code, but just the ADCD pattern. Since when he wrote that code Amibroker had not yet evolved in what you can do with it today. It is much easier now to draw patterns

mastermind007

A newbie question...
If a forward looking code keeps integrating fresh data, wouldn't be repainting considered normal and a point of strength ?
Hidden within very integration lie the seeds of disintegration that can swallow all strength.

Frankly, repainting is only a serious issue when you want to Algo-connect a strategy. Manual trader can live with a repainting AFL since he can compensate for what was lost.

Within amibroker architecture, constant refreshing is the norm. At every second, Amibroker calculates from the first to the last candle and recalculates location of each and every signal.

Repainting occurs when such refresh cycle causes signal to be at differing candles.

Hidden within very integration lie the seeds of disintegration that can swallow all strength.

Frankly, repainting is only a serious issue when you want to Algo-connect a strategy. Manual trader can live with a repainting AFL since he can compensate for what was lost.

Within amibroker architecture, constant refreshing is the norm. At every second, Amibroker calculates from the first to the last candle and recalculates location of each and every signal.

Repainting occurs when such refresh cycle causes signal to be at differing candles.
Thanks.

And for at least manual traders wouldn't this recalculation of data and projection forward a great help for assessing market direction.
Earlier positions taken, otherwise or, as per now-disappeared-previous-signals are anyhow to be monitored against evolving scenario.

guys, I posted an improvement of Edakads code, see:

http://wisestocktrader.com/indicatorpasties/1741-edakads-improved-code

I did not change his calculations, I just made it possible that all patterns may be viewed at the same time.

In some cases 1 pattern seems to have 2 name, e.g. both bat and butterfly. So sometimes the name can overlap (I did not adjust for this since it only happens few times)

Let me know if there is still some improments possible, else I will post it on wisestocktrader

edit => if you do a playback you see that in some cases the patterns starts off as a Gartley, then it evolves into a Bat and later in a Butterfly. This is the reason why the name sometimes shows an overlap

Last edited:

mastermind007