Economic Indictors-A Global View

Asia/Pacific: Global Property Cycle Turns Down

Andy Xie (Hong Kong)

Summary and conclusions

The most important force in the global economy in the past five years has been the synchronized property boom. The demand spillover from the property boom has supported corporate earnings and, hence, equity markets through its effects on consumption and investment. The commodity boom also depends on its demand spillover.

It appears that all major property markets have peaked (Japan is the notable exception but may not be far behind). Inflation is picking up simultaneously around the world. As long as inflation remains a concern, major central banks are likely to raise rather than cut interest rates over the next 12 months. Overvaluation is already weighing down the global property cycle. Rising interest rates put it on a downward trend.

Even if there is a soft landing, the global economy is likely to surprise on the downside in 2007. Considering how fast and high the property cycle has risen, a burst is possible, which could cause a global recession in 2007.

Global financial markets have not woken up to the fragility of global demand that supports corporate earnings and demand for commodities. As global property turns down, commodity demand and corporate earnings are likely to surprise on the downside in 2007.

The global property cycle

The world has experienced a synchronized property cycle. Los Angeles, London, Mumbai, New York, Shanghai and Sydney have all seen property prices surge. Of course, not every city has joined the boom. We can call it a global cycle as major cities around the world that determine their national economic strengths have experienced the boom at the same time.

A property boom is usually a local phenomenon. A national bubble, let along a global one, is rare. Why has it happened? Is it just a coincidence that all the major cities have had a property boom at the same time?

Three factors have led to the global property bubble. First, property financing has become part of the global financial system. As part of globalization, mortgage products are being sold around the world, which has increased the correlation of property markets around the world.

Second, deflation shocks have allowed major central banks to sustain super-loose monetary policy. The resulting excess liquidity has surged into mortgage products and decreased property financing cost at the same time around the world.

Third, institutional property investors have become a significant portion of the global financial system. They have been able to shift capital into different cities according to relative valuation. Their behavior has increased the correlation of property markets around the world.

In short, the changes or innovations in the global financial system have led to a rising correlation of property markets to each other and to central bank policies. It has essentially turned deflation shocks of the past decade into a global property bubble.

Property downturn means global economic downturn

The mechanism for monetary stimulus to turn into demand in this cycle has been through property. Rising property construction is an important source of job creation. The wealth effect on consumption has also been very important in many economies (e.g., Australia, India and the US). Property could explain most of the above-trend growth in the global economy in this cycle, I believe.

As the global cycle turns down, the global economy could experience a period of below-trend growth symmetric to the above-trend growth in the past. My guesstimate is that the property bubble exaggerated the global growth rate by one percentage point in 2004 and 2005. The global economy could experience a 3% growth rate in 2007-08 on average.

Significant risk of global property hard landing

Property bubbles rarely have soft landings. The market consensus for a soft landing is expecting the exceptional. The market confidence for a soft landing stems from its enormous confidence in major central banks to fix problems.

Global property value has inflated enormously since 2000. US housing value rose to 173% of GDP in 2005 from 135% in 2000, Australias rose to 347% from 271%. If data could be collected for China and India, similar trends could be observed.

If the ratios between property value and GDP should go back to the 2000 level or even the 1997 level, it would involve significant price declines. If the market were rational, there would be a rush for the exit and steep price declines, causing a hard landing for property.

The seemingly soft landing in Australia and the UK in the past two years has lulled investors into believing that other markets will follow the same pattern. The difference is that these markets began to soften in a strong global economy. In my view, the global economy has peaked out and could provide little support for growth engines like China and the US when their property markets turn down.

If the global economy does experience a property hard landing, the global economy could experience a recession in the next two years, while average growth could still be 3%.

The cyclical bear market is here

The bear market for global property is at the heart of the bear market for other asset classes. The global property bubble has been a major factor in strong corporate earnings. For example, it has supported western consumers to spend without wage growth. As a result, the share of corporate earnings in GDP has risen across the world. When the ratios of property to GDP normalize, the ratios for corporate earnings to GDP should also normalize.

I believe that earnings expectation will be revised down substantially in the next six months. The most vulnerable sectors are financial and material sectors. The former has benefited from high credit growth due to the property and liquidity boom, the latter from commodity inflation.

Bonds are the first asset class to turn down in this cycle and remain a sell, in my view. Bonds were mispriced in the past five years, mistaking super-low inflation as permanent. The yield on G7 bonds could rise by another one percentage point.

Emerging market currencies have also entered a bear market. Ex-China and oil exporters, emerging economies have net foreign liability of $2.3 trillion. Much of the liability is liquid in stocks and bonds. As the risk reduction trade continues, part of the foreign money will be pulled back into the G7 economies.

Turkey appears to be the first emerging economy in a liquidity crisis. Several more could follow. The easy liquidity lulled a number of emerging economies into depending on portfolio inflows to fund their consumption through consumer credit. As the inflow stops, these economies will have to raise interest rates substantially to curtail their consumption.

Siegel: Since I published my book over a year ago, I have been a big fan of international diversification. Over 50% of the world’s equity capital is outside of the U.S. I actually stuck out my neck in Future for Investors saying that investors should have 40% of their equities headquartered outside of the U.S. This recommendation was unprecedented. Most advisors were trying to get their clients to 20%, and most people are 10% or less international. But international diversification is very important. I am optimistic on world stock returns. We have growth in all major regions of the world, both the developed world and the developing world.

Now this growth is putting pressure on interest rates. We talked about that in our last podcast. We have a worldwide increase in interest rates, not just the U.S., so it is not just caused by the Fed. Investors around the world are saying, “Hey, you know what? Growth is back.”

When growth is back, then the demand for loans is back. Firms start spending again; they start borrowing again. This puts pressure on the bond market. This raises interest rates and that keeps stocks and other assets from getting too high. But I think stocks are in line, although the emerging markets are still very bubbly.

People are asking me about two sectors of the market: emerging stocks and small stocks. I say that I’m concerned about those two sectors, not that they are way out of line, but they don’t look cheap to me the way big international stocks look. I think it’s very promising for investors in equities going forward. Again, don’t overweight the emerging markets because I think that their rise is partly fueled by the commodities boom and partly fueled by tremendous capital inflows. So be very cautious about overweighting there. But in terms of the world equity markets, I think the outlook looks very good.

What could happen on the down side? There is always something to worry about. There’s always Iran to worry about; there’s oil going to $100 a barrel or who knows, even higher. My feeling is that the bubble is going to burst before we’re going to get that high. I think that we’re going to suddenly see some very down days in commodities and that’s going to be ultimately encouraging. Once commodities settle down and people realize, “Wow, housing is under control, commodities are finally under control,” they will become very bullish on equities. That is a very good scenario for the large cap stocks worldwide.

alok said:
A neat analysis and nice write up Ravi.... great.
hai alok, thanks a lot for the compliment.Unfortunately the above are from financial websites and blogs and and the extract was pasted in above post.
i wanted save our forum members valuable time, so that they can analyse and infer.
bye
ravi

India Caught in the Eye of the Global Storm
- EXTRACT FROM WEBSITES -- pasted for forum members

After experiencing a near-relentless climb over the preceding three years, the Bombay Sensex stock index touched an all-time high of 12,612 on May 10th, before slipping into a free-fall of 3,600 points, or more than 28.5%, in just four weeks. The Bombay Sensex had moved from 5,000 in July 2004 to 12,612 on May 10th, 2006. The persistent and rapid rise had taken the price-earnings ratio of Sensex companies from 14.5 in July 2004 to 22.2 on May 10th, 2006.

The euphoria behind the Bombay Sensex reflected the confidence of a robust Indian economy, which expanded at an impressive 9.3% rate in the first quarter, second only to China. Indias economy has averaged 8% growth for the past three years, and even if global growth decelerates due to a Chinese or US economic slowdown, Indias economy could be less affected than other Asian markets because it has a bigger captive domestic market and is only 10% export-oriented.

Commodity traders are now debating whether the latest turmoil in the Indian stock market reflects global risk aversion or signals of an impending slowdown in the Indian and global economy. The 28% slide in the Bombay Sensex index wiped out $244 billion of its market capitalization. At its peak, the market was worth $745 billion, nearly equivalent to the GDP of Asia's third-largest economy. A sustained drop in India's stock market, coupled with a tighter RBI monetary policy, come slow import demand from one of the world's fastest growing economies this year.

Indias booming economy has also been cited as a key factor that fuels the Commodity Super Cycle. So traders watch for trends in Indian imports could have an impact on commodity prices. Indias oil imports for instance, stood at $4.15 billion in May, which was 27.3% higher than a year earlier, Non-oil imports, a key indicator of industrial activity, were 19.24% higher in May to $9.04 billion from $7.58 billion in May 2005. Crude oil has held up better than base metals thru the global storm.

Indias exports rose 29.6% in May from a year earlier to $9.36 billion. Manufacturing output, which makes up more than three quarters of Indias industrial production, was 10.4% higher in April from a year earlier, after annualized gains of 8.9% in March and 9.5% in February. The sizzling performance boosted industrial output, which contributes a quarter of Indias GDP, to 9.5% in April.

For the past three years, the India story depicted the country's vast potential market of 1.1 billion people, and booming economy, lifting the Bombay Sensex index 400% higher. The Indian rupee stabilized between 43.5 to 46 per US dollar, and Indias 10-year bond yield fell from a high of 11.5% in 2000 to as low as 5.10% in 2004. PM Manmohan Singh eliminated the capital gains tax and reduced corporate tax rates since 2004, all key linchpins supporting high-flying Bombay Sensex Index.

Foreign institutional investors (FIIs) were behind the surge in Bombays Sensex index, pumping in an average $1.8 billion during 1999 to 2002, then falling to $377 million in 2002. Then FII investments surged to an average $9.6 billion a year during 2003-04. More recently, FIIs are estimated to have pumped in $10.7 billion into India's stock markets in 2005 and a further $5 billion thru May 11th, 2006. Indian retail investors only account for 15% to 20% ownership of Bombay Sensex shares.

India received capital inflows of US$65 billion in the last three years. However, net Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) totaled only US$11 billion in this period. Cumulatively, for the past three years, non-FDI flows into Indian bonds, short term deposits, and stocks, accounted for about 83% of total capital flows in India, compared with 32% for the top emerging markets. The RBI has said that over 75% of net foreign capital inflows into India are hot money.

But historically high oil prices combined with an annualized 18.5% growth rate for Indias M3 money supply is fueling inflation at a 4.73% clip in Indias $775 billion economy. After the price of gold soared 75% to over 32,000 rupees per ounce by May 2005, the RBI was forced to shore up confidence in the rupee by hiking its overnight rate 0.25% to 5.75%, or about 1% above the inflation rate.

GDP growth has been quite strong. The price situation will require greater sensitivity. The effort of our monetary policy is to contain inflation in a range of 5.0-5.5%, Reddy said. But Reddy faces pressure from PM Manmohan Singh to keep borrowing costs low to spur spending and investment, and help accelerate the annual growth rate to as much as 10% over the next decade as the government attempts to eradicate poverty.

The Reserve Bank of Indias surprise rate hike was synchronized with a quarter-point ECB rate hike to 2.75%, and at least five Federal Reserve officials who are strongly hinting at a continuation of its rate-tightening spree. The RBI wants to avoid a narrowing of interest rate differentials between the Indian rupee, the Euro, and the US$, to head off a possible outflow of foreign portfolio investments.

Several central banks have been increasing interest rates and our monetary policy stance cannot be too much out of synch. Global factors are accorded more weight than before, Reddy explained. India's central bank is expected to raise its key interest rate for the third time this year by 0.25%to 6.00% at its July 25th meeting, to match future hikes by the Fed, ECB, and Bank of Japan.

On June 12th, Indian Finance Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram backed the central bank's move to raise interest rates, "It was necessary for the Bank to be ahead of the curve especially after the European bank raised rates and there is a clear hint that the Fed also will increase its rate. He said the domestic stock markets were overdue for a correction. "The P/E ratios are in a comfort zone and we expect the market to stabilize," said Chidambaram.

On June 16th, the Bombay Sensex was valued at 15.2 times estimated earnings for the current year, down from a high of 20.5 times on May 10th. The price-earnings ratio is still above the MSCI emerging-markets index's 12.2 times. Still, a lower p/e ratio would be reasonable if Indias 10-year bond yield climbs above 8% in the weeks ahead. The RBI is doubling the size of the June 22nd bond auction to dry up liquidity in the banking system and to push yields further ahead of the inflation curve.

Indian bond yields have jumped a quarter-point to 7.90% since the last RBI rate hike on June 8th, as dealers sell their bond holdings in the face of rising RBI interest rates and decreasing liquidity. The outlook for the upcoming bond auction is gloomy, with the increased size unnerving market players. However, hot money flows into and out of India could start to wind down during a summer of global monetary tightening

Attachments

Sector Performance After The Fed Announcement
-THIS IS FOR DOW -not Indian Markets!!!

On the heels of the expected 17th straight rate hike since June 2004, we looked at the performance of the 10 major sectors in the week (5 trading days) following the rate announcements during this tightening phase and found that all of them have on average declined. Technology and basic materials have fared the worst while consumer non-cyclicals and health care stocks have gone down the least.

Attachments

pkjha30

Hi Ravi

You have really given a nice overview of Indian economic development. China has attracted more FDI and India has chossen FII route to attract money. Clearly ours is more fragile and prone to volatality and sudden outflow.

But rest assured there are some concerns that will always remain and always we will discuss them. The more we disscuss, the more we become aware of its implication and better in investment decisions. Money is made whether market falls or grows. But I only hope we don't go the way of Latin economies.

Pankaj:)